My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Well, that was ugly.

I flew down for the game. First time flying Southwest. I was totally unprepared for the funky way people get on the planes. But I’m glad they’re here, and I hope they make a big impact on making it easier to get to ACC games in the future.

It was a beautiful fall day in Raleigh. My friend and I got a late start because we had a frost delay before playing golf. We only arrived on campus a few minutes before the game. Ended up parking of Youth Center, Road, thanks for the advice folks. It worked well and we just made the kick off. Sad we missed the tailgate at the bistro. What have liked to have met up with folks from the area. Oh well, golf is priority one, along with a football game itself.

We got great seats nine rows up from the field in the end zone, in the middle of the Syracuse section. I got to say, I like the NC State city I’m quite a lot. It has good site lines, and huge open concourses that make it easy to navigate from place to place. It is a far better side of the road, say Lane Stadium in Blacksburg. That said, they don’t have turkey legs. On the positive side, they do have Chick-fil-A and pulled pork sandwiches.

Also have a nice replay scoreboard, not as big as nice as ours, but still good for ACC standards. I found the NC State fans to be generally good-natured. They tolerated my obnoxious yelling quite well.

Feedback from a fellow Syracuse fan:

extreme unhappiness with the length of the beer lines
extreme unhappiness with the length of the bathroom lights
extreme unhappiness that NC State fan poured a beer his back (alleged accident).

Said SU fan was also challenged to a fight

So maybe NC State fans aren’t like cuddly kittens after all.

Let’s talk about the game. I found a huge key was is the inability of the Syracuse offensive line to pass block with any sense of competence. With Ellis out sick, we ended up starting Ilaaa at OG, and we still had Tisdale at RT. They did not do well. Tough spot for Josh making his first start on the road against a team with good defensI’ve linemen.

I believe Bleich replaced Ilaoa at OG relatively early in the game, and things improved somewhat from that point forward. But NC State gave Shrader little time to throw time and time again. Our wide receivers continue to struggle. Too many drops. Too many missed blocks. Confusion running routes. They don’t look ready to play at this level. And then, to complete the perfect storm, Shrader struggled to complete a pass to anyone at any time even when they were wide open.

I’m glad Tucker got a chance to share what he could do, and break Joe’s record. Congratulations to him. I wish we were able to get him more than 14 carries. Thought the playcalling was strange. It looked like NC State knew exactly what we were going to do and was completely prepared for play after play after play. Much like Louisville. I know that Wolfpack has a bunch of experience players out there playing for the first time. But I didn’t see us try to attack anyone in particular or have any notion of how to attack their defense properly.

Interesting strategy by the Wolfpack early in the game. It looks like they wanted to intimidate us and beat the crap out of our offense by setting a tone early with repeated cheap shot dirty penalties. And it worked. One area I think we’re really doing badly is playing physical pass coverage. There’s a strong trend in the ACC to grab, pull, jostle and bump receivers and take a chance you get called for PI. The refs tend to let teams get away with this a lot. We don’t do this almost at all. We have the softest coverage discovered in the ACC by a large margin, and that has to change. The same applies to The same applies to our wide receivers. They don’t fight for the ball. They got bullied by opposing cornerbacks and LBs play after play. This has to change.

Thought the defense played hard and did a good job for a while. It was clear from the beginning of the game, the NC State thought they had mismatches against our cornerbacks and repeatedly went long. It looked like we left our CBs on an island the whole game much like we did against Louisville, and NC State resolved to keep throwing long until we changed our strategy, which we never did. They of course were eventually successful with their long throw strategy. They didn’t really hurt us with their running game or with mid range passing but their screens hurt us badly early.

It looked to me as though Eric Coley was benched after having a bad day against UL last week. And it looked like Jason Simmons replaced him. Simmons got attacked and was beaten badly several times. Not good. We got a good rush on Leary pretty often but he’s a veteran quarterback who was able to buy some time and make some big plays. Credit to him; he’s a good player. NC State has some good athletes at WR and TE that we just could not cover.

Respect for pork in North Carolina. They know how to do the pig. Still not a fan of vinegar-based sauce. We played at Prestonwood country club on Friday at the Highlands course. The clubhouse and that course are very impressive. If you have a chance to go there, I recommend it highly. Thanks again Terry and Scott!

Golf and Carolina BBQ, the highlight of our buddy Toms trip! Ugh

Congrats to Sean on the rushing record, can we expect something Saturday as part of Senior Day to honor him?!?!?!?

Well, that was ugly.

I flew down for the game. First time flying Southwest. I was totally unprepared for the funky way people get on the planes. But I’m glad they’re here, and I hope they make a big impact on making it easier to get to ACC games in the future.

It was a beautiful fall day in Raleigh. My friend and I got a late start because we had a frost delay before playing golf. We only arrived on campus a few minutes before the game. Ended up parking of Youth Center, Road, thanks for the advice folks. It worked well and we just made the kick off. Sad we missed the tailgate at the bistro. What have liked to have met up with folks from the area. Oh well, golf is priority one, along with a football game itself.

We got great seats nine rows up from the field in the end zone, in the middle of the Syracuse section. I got to say, I like the NC State city I’m quite a lot. It has good site lines, and huge open concourses that make it easy to navigate from place to place. It is a far better side of the road, say Lane Stadium in Blacksburg. That said, they don’t have turkey legs. On the positive side, they do have Chick-fil-A and pulled pork sandwiches.

Also have a nice replay scoreboard, not as big as nice as ours, but still good for ACC standards. I found the NC State fans to be generally good-natured. They tolerated my obnoxious yelling quite well.

extreme unhappiness that NC State fan poured a beer his back (alleged accident).

Let’s talk about the game. I found a huge key was is the inability of the Syracuse offensive line to pass block with any sense of competence. With Ellis out sick, we ended up starting Ilaaa at OG, and we still had Tisdale at RT. They did not do well. Tough spot for Josh making his first start on the road against a team with good defensI’ve linemen.

I believe Bleich replaced Ilaoa at OG relatively early in the game, and things improved somewhat from that point forward. But NC State gave Shrader little time to throw time and time again. Our wide receivers continue to struggle. Too many drops. Too many missed blocks. Confusion running routes. They don’t look ready to play at this level. And then, to complete the perfect storm, Shrader struggled to complete a pass to anyone at any time even when they were wide open.

I’m glad Tucker got a chance to share what he could do, and break Joe’s record. Congratulations to him. I wish we were able to get him more than 14 carries. Thought the playcalling was strange. It looked like NC State knew exactly what we were going to do and was completely prepared for play after play after play. Much like Louisville. I know that Wolfpack has a bunch of experience players out there playing for the first time. But I didn’t see us try to attack anyone in particular or have any notion of how to attack their defense properly.

Interesting strategy by the Wolfpack early in the game. It looks like they wanted to intimidate us and beat the crap out of our offense by setting a tone early with repeated cheap shot dirty penalties. And it worked. One area I think we’re really doing badly is playing physical pass coverage. There’s a strong trend in the ACC to grab, pull, jostle and bump receivers and take a chance you get called for PI. The refs tend to let teams get away with this a lot. We don’t do this almost at all. We have the softest coverage discovered in the ACC by a large margin, and that has to change. The same applies to The same applies to our wide receivers. They don’t fight for the ball. They got bullied by opposing cornerbacks and LBs play after play. This has to change.

Thought the defense played hard and did a good job for a while. It was clear from the beginning of the game, the NC State thought they had mismatches against our cornerbacks and repeatedly went long. It looked like we left our CBs on an island the whole game much like we did against Louisville, and NC State resolved to keep throwing long until we changed our strategy, which we never did. They of course were eventually successful with their long throw strategy. They didn’t really hurt us with their running game or with mid range passing but their screens hurt us badly early.

It looked to me as though Eric Coley was benched after having a bad day against UL last week. And it looked like Jason Simmons replaced him. Simmons got attacked and was beaten badly several times. Not good. We got a good rush on Leary pretty often but he’s a veteran quarterback who was able to buy some time and make some big plays. Credit to him; he’s a good player. NC State has some good athletes at WR and TE that we just could not cover.

Respect for pork in North Carolina. They know how to do the pig. Still not a fan of vinegar-based sauce. We played at Prestonwood country club on Friday at the Highlands course. The clubhouse and that course are very impressive. If you have a chance to go there, I recommend it highly. Thanks again Terry and Scott!
Glad you got a round in. Should have played 36:)

Well, that was ugly.

Prestonwood is very nice. I believe the Highlands course is where they have the senior pga event at yearly? We golfed at the Lonnie Poole course at NC ST on Saturday. Nice course, tricky greens. NC St football fans are definitely much different then the other NC ACC schools where they actually go to the football games and pull for their Wolfpack. The tailgating scene is also much better then at the others but they definitely have their share of crazies. A 4 PM game means people probably starting showing up to tailgate by noon which makes for a long day of drinking.

Beer and pee lines were loooonnng. Backyard Bistro was impressive with the spread of food provided, excellent, and only 10$ which included a free drink. Pulled pork, brisket, fried chicken, Mac and cheese, salad, Cole slaw, cold cuts, hush puppies, etc, etc!
I actually had good interactions with the fans. Girls in front of us asked us how long of a drive it was for us. When I told her she said “that’s a long drive to cry all the way home”, we gave her some jabs back…all in fun.
I was welcomed to Raleigh from a guy in the pee line, his buddy offered to let me go ahead of him…southern charm.
Stadium was big and easy to get around. was able to meet up with and sit with JRHEETER and OburgCuse . Had a good time, except for the game. Ovey

Prestonwood is very nice. I believe the Highlands course is where they have the senior pga event at yearly? We golfed at the Lonnie Poole course at NC ST on Saturday. Nice course, tricky greens. NC St football fans are definitely much different then the other NC ACC schools where they actually go to the football games and pull for their Wolfpack. The tailgating scene is also much better then at the others but they definitely have their share of crazies. A 4 PM game means people probably starting showing up to tailgate by noon which makes for a long day of drinking.
The SAS champions event is played on a combination of the Highlands and Meadows courses.

Well, that was ugly.

I can back the claims of the alleged incident 100%. And I had a beer soaked SU sweatshirt as physical evidence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom