My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

There are multiple ways to get the ball inbounds. JB used to have a good set of inbounds plays, but for some reason, he seems ok with the idea of just getting it in however you can.
I wouldn't send the bigs downcourt every time either. It's often beneficial to have your tallest guy set up near half court who can move to the FT line extended as a last resort safety valve.
But, the key, whatever you run, is use sharp cuts and screens to get the preferred two guys open in a place other than trapped in the corner or along the end line. It's basic, fundamental basketball that is covered pretty early at every level of play.
The big three fundamental team concepts: what defense you play, what base offense you run and getting the ball in-bounds.

Why do they have a rule that you can ruin the baseline sometimes and not others?

You can run the baseline after a made basket or FT. When the ball just goes out of bounds it’s like the side court. You can’t move from that spot.

The thing is, at side court, if you could run the line, you could run toward the goal. From the baseline, you can't.

The thing is, at side court, if you could run the line, you could run toward the goal. From the baseline, you can't.
After a made basket, you can also pass to a teammate who steps over the ending and then they can inbound the ball. Some teams occasionally use this. I don't recall SU ever doing it.

Benny needs to play because that's how he'll learn. If he gets relegated to 6 minutes a game he won't get better later in the season. Just have to suffer some growing pains with him. It's not like there's someone else who is an option. And playing an iron 5 isn't workable. These guys will be exhausted late in games and wear down later in the season.

Benny needs to play because that's how he'll learn. If he gets relegated to 6 minutes a game he won't get better later in the season. Just have to suffer some growing pains with him. It's not like there's someone else who is an option. And playing an iron 5 isn't workable. These guys will be exhausted late in games and wear down later in the season.
Oh buddy, do I have some news for you about JAB and his rotations

There was an interesting article looking at NBA picks and guys (usually high picks) who played a lot early on and lower picks, who weren’t force fed. The later tended to have longer and better careers, as I recall.

There is a huge drop off from the starters to the backups. I understand why JB opted not to play any backups in the second half until he had to. They did not play well again in the first half.

One quibble with JB regards subbing. It seems like almost every game, when he brings in a sub, he doesn’t just bring in one, but the Little 3, all at the same time. All three of these guys are a big drop off offensively. Having them play together makes it almost impossible for us to score.

Symir and Benny are probably better than the starters on defense. They are best used situationally to shut down targeted attacks on players in the 2-3.

I think you have to use Frank some each half if for no reason that to limit Jesse’s opportunities to get into foul trouble.

JB, please consider only using one of these guys at a time. We can’t afford the hit we take trying to play all of them at the same time.
williams energizes the team/anselem provides jesse break, BUT, is strong in his own right. jb typically underplays people . frank can deliver. look at the lack of minutes played--- don't u think for 30 games we need these people??jb needs to be enhancing there confidence ---not one of his strong points.

Because I have intellect and abilities that lesser humans can only dream of.
So in your dreams, he is a good player. (I hope he gets there, but calling for his PT at this time is silly, unless it is as a PG. Kid is a good passer.)

Last edited:
On that note -- our bench / rotation appears to be 8 guys. One backup guard, one forward, one center. Symir, Benny, and Frank.

Basically, none of them are threats to score. Yes, I know that Benny is a five-star, but right now he is doing nothing offensively.

That means that we essentially have ZERO points we can rely upon off the bench. Sure, one of them might get a bucket or hit some free throws here or there, but that is extremely disconcerting. Zero bench scoring.
This is why was hoping Benny would start. This does a few things:

- Benny is able to be into the game right away instead of coming off the bench cold. Big help for a freshman.

- We are more athletic early on in the game. When teams are starting off against the zone if we have athletes like Benny and Jessie back there we have a better chance to alter shots and battle above the rim.

- Jimmy can be used as instant offense off the bench. Especially going against the other teams bench, Jimmy will most likely have a matchup he can take advantage of offensively. He can score in a variety of ways and will get more shots when Buddy/Cole are off the floor

This is going to be a short one. It’s late, I’m exhausted, I need to get to sleep.

I think the player who is the key to the success of this team is Jesse Edwards. He is our best player on defense by a large margin. He is our only low post presence.

He hast to learn how to consistently play 30 or more minutes a game. If he can do that, our defense should be OK, and we might win some games. With all the shooters we have, he’s going to be in position to score some points every game. When he gets the ball down low, he has to finish like he did tonight.

I don’t think I guess ASU was a good team, and will know a lot more after tomorrow. But it’s good to see some positive signs, and a major improvement from yesterday.
Nice call on Jessie.

Honestly is there an upside to Joe? Last year he underperformed being affected by Covid, but I don't see an improvement this year. Is there any way to improve ball handling or defense through coaching or this is the absolute ceiling?

Honestly is there an upside to Joe? Last year he underperformed being affected by Covid, but I don't see an improvement this year. Is there any way to improve ball handling or defense through coaching or this is the absolute ceiling?
Joe is what he is. His limitations will not all of a sudden get better. I actually hope that Symir starts to see more time as we can win with him. We dont need a point that is actually a small 2. We need a point that can start and run the O with more than 10 seconds on the clock. Symir has more upside than joe for this team and i hope that joe becomes a spark plug off the bench which i do think he would be ok at.

I don’t get how Benny is becoming Woody Newton 2.0.

This kid is a stud and should be able to play minutes without being worried one mistake will bench him.
The +/- comment did NOTHING to help that kid.

We need a bench. Anselem is fine as a bench big we expect no offense from.
Torrence isn’t going to give us offense but Benny should be a solid rotation player we should expect some offense but it’s like his role has been told to him and it’s the role the coach wants from him.

Our forwards are playing way to high up in the zone which makes the baseline and corner 3 open for smart teams.

We need the starters to shoot well to have a chance. Buddy wasn’t letting the team lose yesterday. He dominated the last 10 minutes of the first half yesterday and was why we won that game when halftime hit.
the corner 3 is not nearly as important as the top of the key and wing threes that are often wide open...

I have no idea why this is such an emphasis from JB...maybe he is trying to jedi mind trick opposing coaches into shooting a lot of corner 3s.

the top of the zone d is atrocious.

I'd like to see us try to break the press more with passing than with Joe dribbling.
and then score layups/dunks. make teams pay for pressing is a way to stop them from doing it.

its important not to just beat it but to punish it.

Okay but how many games are you willing to lose doing that?

Really? You don’t see his shooting as a real asset? He’s shooting 53.5% from 3 which is 5th in the country and 90% from the free throw line.

Really? You don’t see his shooting as a real asset? He’s shooting 53.5% from 3 which is 5th in the country and 90% from the free throw line.
Joe is an asset, he is just in the wrong position, he should not be the point guard, unfortunately we have limited options at point guard. I believe his shooting would be even better removed from the pressures of playing point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom