My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
This team lacks a bunch of things. It is far from a perfect group. But one thing it does have is heart.

They are probably going to be blown out a few times, and when they play bad, they can lose to anyone. But when they play well, they are going to be a problem for most everywhere in the ACC. Sometimes, they can only play one good half and it is enough to overcome a bad half and get a win. We have seen that a couple of times recently, haven’t we?

Hard to respect Corey Alexander. He made a big deal about the 1-3-1 tweak and kept saying it hard to be a shock to FSU because it was something brand new. Can’t believe he couldn’t be bothered to even watch a replay or read an account of the SU-IU game as part of prepping for the game. People like that should not be allowed to broadcast games. He isn’t good with in game insights. I would hope he could at least try and be a professional.

FSU plays decent defense but they appear completely lost on offense. That was one of the worst jobs attacking our zone in a long time. Yes, maybe the 1-3-1 made it harder for them to get the ball into the paint (though they had a nice stretch late in the first half where they got a lot of easy shots in the paint and got out to a double figure lead). 4-30 shooting from the outside. Most missed really badly. Lots of ugly shots taken. Few good passes.

Some credit goes to the SU defense for sure. We did a decent job on the defensive boards, didn’t give up many quality looks from 3 and Jesse did his usual good job shutting down easy looks down low.

But we again looked awful on offense for almost the whole first half. Just awful. FSU did a nice job on Buddy. Put their best defender on him (had their 7 foot plus center on his a lot!) and doubled every time he got the ball. Buddy did a decent job passing out of the double team but forced too many shots and took too long with the ball too many times. When he passed it, it was often to his brother. Jimmy appeared intimidated at times, missed a couple of easy bunnies, but he was huge breaking the press and was calm when things got tense. He seems best when the chips are down. Got some key baskets late to help ice the game.

Cole seems to get a little more comfortable as the season progresses. He is finding holes in the defense and getting good looks from 3 consistently now. And even making some. Also was big getting rebounds and playing good defense. And he passes it well. It won’t be the only double double he gets this season,

Jesse was big on defense, on the boards (seemed to get almost every key defensive rebound) and continues to be a reliable scoring threat down low. Wish we got him the ball more in half court settings. Wish he would learn to let the other team score when he is not in position to get a block and not commit a bad foul. He is just starting to do this now but needs work here to stop fouling out.

Joe had a lot of pressure on him today. FSU played an extended pressure defense and he bore the brunt of it most of the game. He made a number of key shots when we really needed to score and was the veteran leader we needed him to be. Very happy with how he played.

Symir keeps doing good things when he is in and I would like to see he and Joe paired together more in the future. Thought he again deserved more PT than he got. Frankie did okay when he was in as well. Benny remains a bit of a mess and I am hoping he can break out of think funk and score some points soon. His defense remains solid.

FSU had a white guy with a beard that looked about 35 years old. Actually they had two of them. The second had blond hair and I think he was taller. But the shorter older looking bearded white guy is the guy I wanted to talk about. He was a bad defender. SU realized this and started attacking him every time down the court in the second half. JB3 had several baskets burning him and I believe Buddy burned him a few times as well. He looked like McGuyver but with no skills.

I don’t think Evans played in the first half, which was good for us. He hurt us during their comeback in the second half and was the only player on the Seminoles who had a good idea how to attack the zone.

Nice win. Hope FSU gets better as the season progresses and this ends up being a nice victory. Saw Nova last night and they were impressive as hell. We have our work cut out for us Tuesday night.

Safe to say Leonard Hamilton is no mastermind as an offensive coach.

Good coach. great recruiter. Knows how to put a good solid team together.

But he's definitely more of a grind it out, win with superior athleticism type of coach than an X's and Os guru.

i think that they will still have a decent year but it seems they dont have any first round picks like they usually do - and that made all the difference.

Cole had a rough first half. Super rough. It was ugly.

But he got it together in the second and finished with a solid game.

he does seem to be "getting it" - I was surprised at how confident he was on those free throws considering the first half.

Curious why the team seemed so nervous and panicky in the first half - I know the pressure D makes it tough,,,,but they were struggling so hard in the first half. it seemed some kind of mental issue...

Anyway, will be very interesting to see how he plays vs Nova. Will he try to go off and have a big day?

JB mentioned he is bound to have one of those days where he hits 8 or 10 threes in a game...would be cool if happened on Tuesday lol

This team lacks a bunch of things. It is far from a perfect group. But one thing it does have is heart.

They are probably going to be blown out a few times, and when they play bad, they can lose to anyone. But when they play well, they are going to be a problem for most everywhere in the ACC. Sometimes, they can only play one good half and it is enough to overcome a bad half and get a win. We have seen that a couple of times recently, haven’t we?

Hard to respect Corey Alexander. He made a big deal about the 1-3-1 tweak and kept saying it hard to be a shock to FSU because it was something brand new. Can’t believe he couldn’t be bothered to even watch a replay or read an account of the SU-IU game as part of prepping for the game. People like that should not be allowed to broadcast games. He isn’t good with in game insights. I would hope he could at least try and be a professional.

FSU plays decent defense but they appear completely lost on offense. That was one of the worst jobs attacking our zone in a long time. Yes, maybe the 1-3-1 made it harder for them to get the ball into the paint (though they had a nice stretch late in the first half where they got a lot of easy shots in the paint and got out to a double figure lead). 4-30 shooting from the outside. Most missed really badly. Lots of ugly shots taken. Few good passes.

Some credit goes to the SU defense for sure. We did a decent job on the defensive boards, didn’t give up many quality looks from 3 and Jesse did his usual good job shutting down easy looks down low.

But we again looked awful on offense for almost the whole first half. Just awful. FSU did a nice job on Buddy. Put their best defender on him (had their 7 foot plus center on his a lot!) and doubled every time he got the ball. Buddy did a decent job passing out of the double team but forced too many shots and took too long with the ball too many times. When he passed it, it was often to his brother. Jimmy appeared intimidated at times, missed a couple of easy bunnies, but he was huge breaking the press and was calm when things got tense. He seems best when the chips are down. Got some key baskets late to help ice the game.

Cole seems to get a little more comfortable as the season progresses. He is finding holes in the defense and getting good looks from 3 consistently now. And even making some. Also was big getting rebounds and playing good defense. And he passes it well. It won’t be the only double double he gets this season,

Jesse was big on defense, on the boards (seemed to get almost every key defensive rebound) and continues to be a reliable scoring threat down low. Wish we got him the ball more in half court settings. Wish he would learn to let the other team score when he is not in position to get a block and not commit a bad foul. He is just starting to do this now but needs work here to stop fouling out.

Joe had a lot of pressure on him today. FSU played an extended pressure defense and he bore the brunt of it most of the game. He made a number of key shots when we really needed to score and was the veteran leader we needed him to be. Very happy with how he played.

Symir keeps doing good things when he is in and I would like to see he and Joe paired together more in the future. Thought he again deserved more PT than he got. Frankie did okay when he was in as well. Benny remains a bit of a mess and I am hoping he can break out of think funk and score some points soon. His defense remains solid.

FSU had a white guy with a beard that looked about 35 years old. Actually they had two of them. The second had blond hair and I think he was taller. But the shorter older looking bearded white guy is the guy I wanted to talk about. He was a bad defender. SU realized this and started attacking him every time down the court in the second half. JB3 had several baskets burning him and I believe Buddy burned him a few times as well. He looked like McGuyver but with no skills.

I don’t think Evans played in the first half, which was good for us. He hurt us during their comeback in the second half and was the only player on the Seminoles who had a good idea how to attack the zone.

Nice win. Hope FSU gets better as the season progresses and this ends up being a nice victory. Saw Nova last night and they were impressive as hell. We have our work cut out for us Tuesday night.
bailed mid way in the first to watch bama uga. Couldn’t believe they were up when I flipped back.

from what I watched, looked like a weird game, buddy was bad, fsu worse, Joe carried the team.

nice to get a w, which is about all you can say, oh and fsu was awful.

Good review as always but completely disagree about Symir. I thought he should be wearing maroon, he was doing so many positive things for Fsu.

Shotmaking is the teams best attribute and that will give us a chance.

Being short on depth we really need to rack up ACC wins and get a double bye for the ACCT. It would be great if we got there being able to get bounced first game and still have an at large.

Good review as always but completely disagree about Symir. I thought he should be wearing maroon, he was doing so many positive things for Fsu.
he had 5 assists in 12 minutes!

thats almost 17 assists/40min! (which is more than the whole team had vs FSU)

the fsu press was non-existent when he had the ball. the shot quality for the whole team was night and day out there...he hasnt played perfectly but this was a good game from him...probably his best.

Could you at least elaborate on why Symir was so bad you thought he was making more plays for the other team?

Sy was terrific tonight. When Joe got switched with the seven footer and refused to attempt to exploit it JB put Sy in and he immediately had a fantastic pass to Jesse. He is so active on defense it is refreshing. That lineup of Sy, Joe, Buddy, Jimmy, and Jesse was a nice stretch while Cole was struggling. Ball handling and shooting, while risking rebounding was good to see

The 1-1-3 or 1-3-1 however you wanna label it is the defense this team is suited for. Cuts down our wings’ range which is a weak spot and packs the middle. Jesse cannot hold the paint down solo, this gives him help and let’s us cover 50% more of the 3 point shots taken that Jimmy and Cole are unable to cover

Eh, I felt a little bad for him. People make mistakes, he should have done more research, but after the mistake was made for the 17th time could someone throw him a bone????? How many other people must have been involved in the broadcast and just let him suffer!

I'd be firing all my interns!!!

I do think at one point after the 83rd time he said it he mentioned someone texted him or something with a picture to show SU did use the 1-3-1 against IU.

I thought our head coach ( JAB ) coached a great game how sweet is it to be the team that broke Florida states home winning streak, we are ok at 5 -3 1 - 0 ACC. Nova will be very tough to beat even at MSG. after that game we have a favorable schedule and might run off 4 -5 wins.

Eh, I felt a little bad for him. People make mistakes, he should have done more research, but after the mistake was made for the 17th time could someone throw him a bone????? How many other people must have been involved in the broadcast and just let him suffer!

I do think at one point after the 83rd time he said it he mentioned someone texted him or something with a picture to show SU did use the 1-3-1 against IU.
Yeah, a director, an intern or a friendly janitor who watched SU-IU could have helped safe him some embarrassment.

Thought the game was strangely reffed. They REALLY let both teams play. Tons of contact and smacking went on with no whistle. Buddy alone made 3 or 4 clear fouls after getting hacked where the refs just let them play on.

I am visiting family in Mass. and didn’t watch the game, although every 20 minutes I would surreptitiously check the score. First half I thought we were doomed. So glad we got the win! Even gladder that I dvr’d the game and can watch it tomorrow knowing the we pulled out another nail biter! Eeeee hah!

This is why I rarely listen to the network broadcasts. Usually unprepared. I mute the TV and listen to the radio broadcast with Park and Satalin cued up to my DVR. No substitute for broadcasters who do every game and know exactly what's going on with the team.

This is why I rarely listen to the network broadcasts. Usually unprepared. I mute the TV and listen to the radio broadcast with Park and Satalin cued up to my DVR. No substitute for broadcasters who do every game and know exactly what's going on with the team.
Wait, what? Matt Park knows whats going on? But can he say it so you understand it?

Cole had a rough first half. Super rough. It was ugly.

But he got it together in the second and finished with a solid game.

he does seem to be "getting it" - I was surprised at how confident he was on those free throws considering the first half.

Curious why the team seemed so nervous and panicky in the first half - I know the pressure D makes it tough,,,,but they were struggling so hard in the first half. it seemed some kind of mental issue...

Anyway, will be very interesting to see how he plays vs Nova. Will he try to go off and have a big day?

JB mentioned he is bound to have one of those days where he hits 8 or 10 threes in a game...would be cool if happened on Tuesday lol
Swider seems to shoot much better once he hits that first 3. Confidence seems to be an issue with him at times.

Totally agree. He's an actual PG. Imagine that. Nothing against Joe, as he is terrific, when positioned in his right spot (which is not PG).
I will agree Joe isn’t a natural PG. He was born to score and has had to rein in some of his natural aggressiveness for the betterment of the team.

I give him credit for doing a good job in this. He has had to face some tough full court in your face defenses this season and overall done well against heavy pressure. As Jake says, his teammates sometimes aren’t a great help, though JB3, Buddy and even Cole stepped up some yesterday.

Watching Nova yesterday, saw them using a really aggressive full court pressure style as well. Think VCU. Hope Joe and the rest of the guys get some good rest. Buddy is surely going to need some treatment after what FSU did to him.

I look at Nova as a chance to grow against a really good opponent. They will expose more weaknesses and we can learn more about what we need to work in for the rest of the year. It would be awesome to get a win but I am just hoping we play well and continue to develop.

Then we gotta pound Georgetown.

There was a rebound that Symir willed into his hands amongst the trees under the basket in the second half that was super impressive.

Her also cheers like crazy and doesn't sulk when he's not in the game. He's going to win a few games for us this year with his play, glad to have him on our team.

This was a huge and impressive season building win. FSU had gotten smashed by Purdue and SU was coming off a titanic and mentally draining game against Indiana, which showed in the flat first half for the Orange. FSU had a 26 game league home win streak on the line and it looked like a game Syracuse was sure to lose, not so fast my friends. This win changed the perception and trajectory of the team and the season and things are looking bright going into MSG against the very highly regarded Wildcats. It is going to be a real good old school BigEast battle in the Garden.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom