My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

SU had a point guard and a quasi-point guard out there. FSU did not have a point guard or dare I say it, a coach who had any idea what to do after the center jump.

There was a rebound that Symir willed into his hands amongst the trees under the basket in the second half that was super impressive.

Her also cheers like crazy and doesn't sulk when he's not in the game. He's going to win a few games for us this year with his play, glad to have him on our team.

Two GREAT points. That rebound was fantastic. I couldn't believe he got it.

I also remember seeing him cheering like what you mentioned. It stood out to me because of many images of our bench prior, where there was little cheering (except for a walk on or two clapping). Maybe that's standard, but I was sort of expecting more with a game on the road, a lot on the line and difficult place to win. I really like what Symir has brought to the table, and I admit, I wasn't so sure early on (but that was more about my hangover with Kadary leaving). Great to see him improving and into things!

This is why I rarely listen to the network broadcasts. Usually unprepared. I mute the TV and listen to the radio broadcast with Park and Satalin cued up to my DVR. No substitute for broadcasters who do every game and know exactly what's going on with the team.

The national broadcasters have to do so many games it is hard to do their homework properly... But at a minimum the last game for each team should be watched. Broadcasting is a full time job, right?

I absolutely hate it when one of our guys does something out of character, like say Edwards shooting a three and making it, and the announcer says "Edwards has range out to the three point line!" Or Girard drives into the lane and makes a layup and the announcer says "Girard is an acrobatic finisher!"

Watch something before trying to act like you know what you are saying!

Last edited:
They will expose more weaknesses
I think we’ve already been fully exposed. Buck naked. And I don’t see how a blowout helps the team grow. We have to keep it competitive or their confidence will go in the tank again.

I will agree Joe isn’t a natural PG. He was born to score and has had to rein in some of his natural aggressiveness for the betterment of the team.

I give him credit for doing a good job in this. He has had to face some tough full court in your face defenses this season and overall done well against heavy pressure. As Jake says, his teammates sometimes aren’t a great help, though JB3, Buddy and even Cole stepped up some yesterday.

Watching Nova yesterday, saw them using a really aggressive full court pressure style as well. Think VCU. Hope Joe and the rest of the guys get some good rest. Buddy is surely going to need some treatment after what FSU did to him.

I look at Nova as a chance to grow against a really good opponent. They will expose more weaknesses and we can learn more about what we need to work in for the rest of the year. It would be awesome to get a win but I am just hoping we play well and continue to develop.

Then we gotta pound Georgetown.
Yep to all of that

I will agree Joe isn’t a natural PG. He was born to score and has had to rein in some of his natural aggressiveness for the betterment of the team.

I give him credit for doing a good job in this. He has had to face some tough full court in your face defenses this season and overall done well against heavy pressure. As Jake says, his teammates sometimes aren’t a great help, though JB3, Buddy and even Cole stepped up some yesterday.

Watching Nova yesterday, saw them using a really aggressive full court pressure style as well. Think VCU. Hope Joe and the rest of the guys get some good rest. Buddy is surely going to need some treatment after what FSU did to him.

I look at Nova as a chance to grow against a really good opponent. They will expose more weaknesses and we can learn more about what we need to work in for the rest of the year. It would be awesome to get a win but I am just hoping we play well and continue to develop.

Then we gotta pound Georgetown.
Agree - actually Joe and SYmir complement each other. Their weaknesses are the other’s strengths. Depending on matchups, timing within games etc they give great options to the team. Defensively opponents have to adjust too, a team has just one maybe 2 great on the ball m2m defenders who are their best fighting through screens, switching and guarding 3 point shots vs drives etc - it’s how FSU’s 7’4“ guy ends up guarding a Joe or Buddy near half court. It’s either desperation or great screen etc effecting a defense’s options. JB was well aware that both Torrence and Richmond offered great options to Girard’s skill set to make each guard more effective last year and this year depending on matchups and an opponent’s strategy. If Buddy/Cole are gone next year the strategy will change accordingly. JB sure had to act on the fly to react to losing Quincy, Richmond, Braswell, even if he was aware of the loss of Griffin, Marek and Newton.

Again you are correct that Nova whose strength is their m2m defense with their lack of a traditional big man will test SU big time and expose weaknesses. If one thing Nova is - they are quick twitch athletes - something we aren’t. It will be another learning experience for our new group playing together trying to execute a strategy to mitigate their own weaknesses and employing a different method
to battle Nova that hopefully enhances our strengths. It will help us in the long run figure out what can work, what doesn’t against certain opponents and what we need and can improve on for the remainder of the season. Hope we have some energy left. Boy this season’s opponents has really offered some great challenges. Hope people including fans but particularly the players - stay positive, confident, resilient through all these great opponents. Go SU!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom