My Take | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

The data? If you are considering advanced stats, let me know. Legit. Not trying to do a “gotcha”.

My thoughts on Joe:

- He is *by far* the best passer out of screening action we have on the team. Literally by a country mile.

- He has improved his offensive efficiency by a great deal. Kudos to the kid. It’s not only important for his own accord, but Buddy is *so* inefficient, that he’s really offsetting Buddy’s ramp up time. Hopefully it keeps up.

- Kid has quick hands on defense. He isn’t good on defense. I won’t argue this. If anyone thinks he is, so be it. But at least he has quick hands and works to get steals and get live balls.

- his TO rate is way too high, but, again, he’s not a PG. And, the guys on this team are not helping him out here. We have poor screeners and our wing guys are not great at being aggressive with off the ball movement to the extent we need them.

Kudos to Joe. He’s improved. Legitimately improved. Kid is in a tough spot. I’d love to see him at the SG spot and hopefully he gets to be there next year for his own good.

Btw, Buddy deserves the ramp up time. But if we’re being honest, he needs to get back to good Buddy bc he is shooting so many times a game, he has to keep making them or else he’s shooting us out of games.
I agree.

My only other thought on JGIII is that I hope he can put together, (and you can help me here), more higher scoring games consecutively instead of occasionally especially if he is put at the SG position.

I think he's leaving the scoring up to Buddy, feeding him when BB is hot - which is what he should do but he's such a great shooter in his own right he sometimes sacrifices his own shots to help others.

I agree.

My only other thought on JGIII is that I hope he can put together, (and you can help me here), more higher scoring games consecutively instead of occasionally especially if he is put at the SG position.

I think he's leaving the scoring up to Buddy, feeding him when BB is hot - which is what he should do but he's such a great shooter in his own right he sometimes sacrifices his own shots to help others.

Yeah, I agree with your comments. As for Buddy, the whole team is playing 2nd to Buddy. Clearly, Buddy (and Jimmy) are being told to get a basket and not worry much about passing the ball. Joe is crushing Buddy on 3pt shooting this year and should be given more looks. Perhaps Buddy should be feeding it more to Joe. Just a wild thought.

A great tool to use to see the effect of substitution patterns etc is the play by play synopsis offered after every game on Cuse.com. It can help convey a pattern or maybe just the proof of random probability since matchups, opponents, strategy differs inside each game, less game to game too. When we substituted all 3 bench players at 12:38 in the first half we were up by 12 points. When 1 of the bench players and 1 starter were substituted with 2 starters and 9:18 left, we had actually increased the lead to 16, our largest lead in the first half. As I said it’s not always cause/effect, Cornell was substituting freely also. It also shows that we left in the subs at different times, not subbing them out all at once nor reinserting them all together again. I’m certain SU analytics is much more versed in analyzing all these different variables and their effects than I ever could. Men's Basketball vs Cornell on 12/29/2021 - Box Score - Syracuse University Athletics

So do people want the bench to play or not ;)

I think the point is that you offer them a chance to blend into the flow of the game, if you bring them in one at a time. Swap out Frank, then Symir, then Benny. Give them a couple possessions with the other starters, rather than bringing on 3 guys who are all cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom