My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

I like to think that while Bud is retired, he is a lurker on the board.

This morning, just before leaving for his tee time, he saw your post. Hurried to the golf course and excitedly showed it to his foursome.

"See guys? I am still cool! Whiz bang!"
Oh, Bud Poliquin, he of the oft-mocked names and elegantly loquacious prose, and, one supposes., a nattily-attired old duffer, would hopefully find the gentle nose-tweaking flattering. Ginchy, perhaps, if not down-right peachy keen.

And the sterling play of the Orange gridders? Why, it recalls the days of Mac, of Paul, of, dare we say, Ben. A one horse town perhaps, but maybe this season more reminiscent of Secretariat than Mr. Ed.

Oh, Bud Poliquin, he of the oft-mocked names and elegantly loquacious prose, and, one supposes., a nattily-attired old duffer, would hopefully find the gentle nose-tweaking flattering. Ginchy, perhaps, if not down-right peachy keen.

And the sterling play of the Orange gridders? Why, it recalls the days of Mac, of Paul, of, dare we say, Ben. A one horse town perhaps, but maybe this season more reminiscent of Secretariat than Mr. Ed.
Nothing makes an ink stained wretch happier than getting credit for being nattily dressed.

I have seen Bud at Green Lakes before. He is (was) as you imagine.

Persimmons woods. Old school Ben Hogan hat. Wool knickers with calf high argyle socks that match his cap. Two tone golf shoes with the tassles over the tops.

You have him nailed. This isn't him but it might as well be. It could be that he lost a bet and dresses normally 99.9% of the time.

But I read his stuff for decades. I doubt it. ;)

1662993425277.jpeg

I think we play a lot of starters on specials - it's good but always makes me nervous. I think GS improvement stems from a lot of reasons including use of Gadsen in hybrid TE role at least giving us that dimension of the 5-8 yard completion.

OL and DL are still my biggest concerns and I want to see our safety's hold up against an organized passing scheme like we will see this week.
It's funny you mention Gadsden as a 5-8 yard guy. He's averaging like 15 yards a catch. Not bad for a 5-8 yard option!

Gotta "kick" out of watching Denaburg's kickoffs going in the endzone on the fly.
Outdoors?? Been a while...
Look forward to watching him placekick next year. Or do we see him try a 55 yarder
to beat Clemson later this season.

The rights for the game are held by CBS Sports. I don't think the ACC Digital Network or SU can post this content legally.

And since the CBS Sports Network does not appear to be posting the games they have televised, we may be out of luck here. I checked to see if they are going to show a replay out a couple of days and did not see one scheduled.

Bummer.

Unless they were going to show it without sound, I don't blame CBS Sports Network for hitting the delete button on that content.

TexanMark is to be congratulated on a well-run Fine Mess Tail Gate. Great food and company, and a treat to be able to catch up with Cuseregular. Fair weather abounded and continued through the evening. The stadium had comfortable plastic seats but was weirdly located 30 miles from campus. Little effort appears to have been made to adorn the brutalist-style concrete with any color other than Blue/White UConn banners and an end-zone display screen. Our tail gate was set up in a nearby school baseball field, so participants had room to mingle and toss around a football. However, the surrounding neighborhood is run-down ... contributing to the dystopian feel that seems to linger around the program. Isolated from campus, students were only able to fill about half of their section at kickoff. That number dwindled rapidly as SU scores piled up. As to the other fans, for the most part we found them to be gracious and appropriately humble. My wife and I sat by an English Prof and her husband ... our pleasant conversation made the game go by quickly.

Special Note for sutomcat - the UConn marching band was better organized than the UConn offense. The black uniforms with gold trim looked classy and the choreography and musicality were above average. I counted eleven (11) tubas. No game summary is needed as you covered it well, except a couple observations:1) the UConn D did a good job containing ST; and 2) it didn't bother DS a bit, as he hit receivers all over the field and performed like Dungey+.

Of note also: on the way back home (Sunday), we met JeremyCuse for a few celebratory libations and some frisbee at the Tree House Brewery. Great location with a delicious menu of brews. Next time we'll stay overnight to avoid truncating the beer consumption.

Late Edit: I almost forgot, as the game wound down, my 10 year old son found a spot behind the SU bench. After coaxing some of the SU players to "do the giddy" (a dance move, I guess), GS noticed the commotion and walked over and gave my son his arm-sleeve (marked with grass stains). Needless to say the post-game energy level spiked and it took us a couple hours to get him settled down.

;)

Last edited:
I think we play a lot of starters on specials - it's good but always makes me nervous. I think GS improvement stems from a lot of reasons including use of Gadsen in hybrid TE role at least giving us that dimension of the 5-8 yard completion.

OL and DL are still my biggest concerns and I want to see our safety's hold up against an organized passing scheme like we will see this week.
In the 2019 opener vs. Clemson, one of our group noted that the Tigers had a number of defensive starters on the kickoff coverage team (as many as 7?). If you have a kicker who consistently gets the ball into the endzone so that there is no return, it makes sense. Gets your D ready to play after they may have been sitting for a while as their offense drove the ball.

On UConns TD pass play Barron was the only unblocked defender who had a clean shot on the receiver and took a very bad angle taking himself out of the play. By the way Jones couldn't get off his block cause he was held.
It looked like he sold out to try to prevent the first down. So, rather than a 4 yard gain for a first down, it went the distance. Should be an easy film room lesson.

Barron as a rover was also out of position on the other td run. Needs help talking to by staff. The running back gets the ball, play going away from a blitzing Barron who starts to chase across the backfield trailing the RB . You ain't gonna catch him that way, not fast enough. Befor the RB turned it upfield he should have been going upfield at an angle that gave him a chance. To quote "Eastwood", "a man s'got to know his limitations"

In the 2019 opener vs. Clemson, one of our group noted that the Tigers had a number of defensive starters on the kickoff coverage team (as many as 7?). If you have a kicker who consistently gets the ball into the endzone so that there is no return, it makes sense. Gets your D ready to play after they may have been sitting for a while as their offense drove the ball.
Also puts them at risk of Injury for no reason if you are kicking ball out of end zone.

TexanMark is to be congratulated on a well-run Fine Mess Tail Gate. Great food and company, as usual. Fair weather abounded and continued through the evening. The stadium had comfortable plastic seats but is strangely located 30 miles from campus. There was also little effort to adorn the brutalist-style concrete with much color outside of a lot of UConn banners and an end-zone big screen. Since our tail gate was set up in a nearby school baseball field, participants had plenty of room to roam around and throw a football. However, the surrounding neighborhood is run-down ... contributing to a dystopian feel that seems to linger around the program. Understandably, the student section was barely half full at kickoff, then emptied rapidly as SU scores piled up. As far as the fans themselves, for the most part we found them to be gracious and appropriately humble. My wife and I sat by an English Prof and her husband ... our enjoyable conversation made the game go by quickly.

Special Note for sutomcat - the UConn marching band acquitted itself well. Uniforms were snappy and the choreography and musicality were above average. Eleven (11) tubas were counted. I won't comment on the game as you have covered it well, except to say:1) the UConn D did a good job containing ST; and 2) it didn't bother DS a bit, as he hit receivers all over the field and is rapidly becoming Dungey+.

Of note also: on the way back home (Sunday), we met JeremyCuse for a few celebratory libations and some frisbee at the Tree House Brewery. Great location that deserves a second visit without a long drive truncating the beer consumption.

;)
Always found that the worse their team is the better the fans act toward visitors. Even true at MLB stadiums.

Also puts them at risk of Injury for no reason if you are kicking ball out of end zone.
Any time the ball is in play, there is a risk of injury. Sprinting down the field under a kickoff (not punt) is probably safer than coming off the bench cold and fighting off blockers on the first play from scrimmage.

Any time the ball is in play, there is a risk of injury. Sprinting down the field under a kickoff (not punt) is probably safer than coming off the bench cold and fighting off blockers on the first play from scrimmage.
Of course you’re at risk of injury on any play, but my point was why risk it if there isn’t going to be a need to be on the field.Makes very little sense to employ your best players in those situations.
I personally agree with using your best guys on special teams, but not if my kicker was 99% touchback guy.

HCDB mentioned in an interview that eventually more backups will plays specials. But right now they want the best possible unit out there while everyone is still fresh. Hopefully the 2's get more run in practice and can prove they can play instead of our defensive "stars"

Watched this one at home. Long story. It was a shame to miss an away game so close to CNY.

Yes, the broadcast of the game was of low quality. The camera people looked like they did not have experience covering football games. They were faked out too often. The director chose a bad shot and we lost continuity a number of times. The color guy, a former Colorado TE named Fauria, offered no insight into what was going on, was not familiar with either team and half of what he was able to offer as commentary was wrong. He didn’t even know some rules.

The woman doing play by play was bad too. I think you need to go through the process to become a fit broadcaster for football. I know the kids at Newhouse sit in the stands with a tape recorder (probably just a phone these days) and their own homemade charts and broadcast games live repeatedly early during their time at SU and get critiqued by professors. It was clear she was not familiar with football, either football team or anything related to the game. It was bad. As others have pointed out, thank god we have better people for all the other games. Poor UConn fans have to deal with this garbage the rest of their lives. Ugly.

I thought the UConn defense was not awful. They shut down Tucker pretty consistently. Looked like their game plan was to take him away, try and contain Shrader, try and force SU into passing situations and make Garrett beat them with good passes. Essentially the same approach UL took. Like UL, this was not successful.

Garrent has gone from completing just over 50% of his passes last season to close to 75% this season. Why?

One clear reason is he has improved his accuracy. The latter part of last season, his arm was pretty much gone, and he didn’t much much arm strength or accuracy.

It is clear his arm is stronger this year and vastly more accurate.

Then there is the improved play of the OL. There has been a pass rush sometimes and Garrett has been flushed from the pocket occasionally, but for the most part, he has had the time to make his throws. If there is a breakdown, it is usually with Dakota Davis. He is playing out of position at RT and he isn’t quite fast enough to handle a rough rusher but he has been adequate. Now that the crazy run of illegal procedures has gone away, hopefully forever (mostly on Carlos), the only issue I am seeing are some holds on Dakota. Anyway, overall this group a huge improvement over what happened the last couple of years. The rest of the line has been good. Bergeron has been great and looks to be a lock for all conference.

Lastly, the WRs are going open consistently. It has been common in the first two games for more than one WR to be wide open on the same play. That NEVER happened with the old offense. I think a lot of the credit goes to the much better scheme Coach Anae has brought here. And some credit needs to go to our WRs. They are overall, bigger, faster, tougher and stronger than the last couple of years. Credit to Coach Anae, Coach Johnson and to the WRs themselves.

Of course, UL and UConn are not great defensive teams. We will be playing much better defenses down the road, starting on Saturday with Purdue. But this is good to see.

I am watching the WR group closely this year, with great interest. Very interested to see how things develop and who emerges here. Thought Gadsden and Hatcher had the highest ceilings going in but to date, Hatcher is not in the rotation. Looks likely Tucker is going to lead the team in receptions. If not he, I think Cooper is going to be the guy. Dino says the lead receiver will be the one who gets tightest with the QB. From where I am seeing, it looks like Cooper might be that guy. Courtney has the most experience and receptions going into the season so he needs to be considered as well.

I think Mang is struggling as the lead blocker for Sean. Think this is a big reason Sean’s numbers since Rhino went down are not terrific. Hope he gets it down the road. When Dino says there is no replacement for Rhino, it is not coach speak. I wonder if Hoeh might get a chance here down the road. Would not be surprised if Cruz starts getting some run with the first team at RT as well.

Good to see the second team get some playing time on offense. Del Rio-Wilson looked very impressive in limited minutes. The guy has a gun and can run. That is a nice combo to work with. Adams had a chance and made a big play. As did Isaiah Jones and Dan Villari. Love it.

Thought we played well defensively. We were aggressive attacking the young QB. Maybe got burned a couple of times doing this but we also disrupted things a lot for them with late movement and stunting. Garrett continues to play like a AA. Yes, his coverage is top notch but his run support has also been great and he hustles all over the field, making plays he shouldn’t be making. Thought pretty much everyone played well. The play of the safeties is noticeably better than last year. Carter has stepped up his game. Barron too. Clark is a special athlete and even when he gets out of position, he has a way of recovering well. Simmons got some run, and Hanna continues to split time at Rover. All of them had good moments.

It was nice to be able to play the second team defense a lot. They played pretty well. Jeremiah Wilson and Isaiah Johnson made big plays from the corners. Folk was terrific. Sparrow jumped the line and almost killed a UConn RB. Not unlike what Wax did to the poor UConn QB on that blind side hit. It looks to me as though we have some players on the second team defense that are ready to contribute if they are called upon. Depth is improving.

Special teams were good. The ‘Bergs’ were solid. Aussie punter Max Von Marburg had a quiet but consistent day. Looks like he gets rid of it quick and has a strong leg.

Brady Denaburg, the true frosh whiz kid PK from Florida, made his debut (I think; maybe he kicked off against UL). He showed a booming leg and I though he was really impressive. Would hate to burn his RS year just kicking KOs but field position is important and it might be worth it. Looks like he is the heir apparent when Andre completes his eligibility at the end of this season. Andre, BTW, looked great last night.

Looks like we are using a ton of starters on offense and defense on the coverage units, and they have looked really good so far. No question we are emphasizing special teams a lot more than in the last couple of years and I think this is a very good thing.

Good effort. Very good start to the season. No injuries I can remember, though it looked like Shrader might have had a cramp or something going on with a hammie at one point. Purdue is a big game for this program. They are the best team we have faced to date. It will take an excellent effort to beat them.
Beat Purdue!

Gotta "kick" out of watching Denaburg's kickoffs going in the endzone on the fly.
Outdoors?? Been a while...
Look forward to watching him placekick next year. Or do we see him try a 55 yarder
to beat Clemson later this season.
Worth burning the redshirt on what could be a special season. Field position will be much more important as the season goes on.

Smart move by the staff. Andre snd Williams weren’t cutting it.

The five yard outlet to Tucker helps too.

I do have it recorded from Saturday so if anyone wants to look at anything. Just holler.
Hey NJneer12, new to the forum here, I came across this site because I missed the su/uconn game and I was trying to watch it but it was in none of the usual places I can sometimes find games I missed online. Did you record this with computer into a mp4 or some other format? If so, would you be willing to send me a google drive link or direct me to a site where I could donwnload/watch your recording on my computer. That would be great if you could but if it is not possible, I understand, no big deal I can always just listen to audio only version on cuse all-access. Any way thanks so much for you time, have a great weekend, and GO SU, Beat Purdue!

Hey NJneer12, new to the forum here, I came across this site because I missed the su/uconn game and I was trying to watch it but it was in none of the usual places I can sometimes find games I missed online. Did you record this with computer into a mp4 or some other format? If so, would you be willing to send me a google drive link or direct me to a site where I could donwnload/watch your recording on my computer. That would be great if you could but if it is not possible, I understand, no big deal I can always just listen to audio only version on cuse all-access. Any way thanks so much for you time, have a great weekend, and GO SU, Beat Purdue!

I have it recorded via FUBO. So I can play it on my computer. Not sure about DL.

If you can walk me through the process, I can try. Message me.

I have it recorded via FUBO. So I can play it on my computer. Not sure about DL.

If you can walk me through the process, I can try. Message me.
So unfortunately I looked up FUBO and it seems they don't allow you to download video to your computer, I would only be to view it by logging into the account or if you recorded your firefox screen while playing game. Thanks anyway for your time and offer and if you find that I am wrong about FUBO downloads or find another way you can always email me at funkysoul777@yahoo.com Thanks Again So Much And Take care, Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom