My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I’ll be honest.

That game hurt. It was hard to accept.

A win could have been so big for our program, our school and our community.

Damn. Great effort but it needed with a loss and no amount of complaining is going to change it. So I will refrain from discussing any of the controversial calls that played such a big role in determining the outcome of the game.

It was a great effort under a lot of adversity. So proud of so many players thrown into a high stakes game with little or no experience. Tony White is doing a great job getting his players ready to play. If we ever get a year when the players still reasonably healthy, watch out. That unit is going to be something.

At the golf course this morning, people were abuzz about the game. Some raved at the gutsy performance. Some were furious at Dino and the rest of the coaching staff and a couple said they weren’t going to watch any more games this season. Interesting how different people react to the same game.

Not mad at how Tucker was used. As others have noted, he was clearly playing hurt and every time he touched the ball, he was dealing with a lot of pain and asked to come out. Often not to return for the rest of that series and the next series. That isn’t the coaches fault (though I guess you could blame them if Sean got hurt seriously against Wagner trying to break a record). I don’t know for sure what his injuries are but I bet he has a couple (at least one injury to a lower leg and one to a thigh) and there might be others.

One wonders how serious his injuries are and if he sat out.a couple of games, could he get back to 100%?

With Sean pretty much not a factor in the offense, the coaches were forced to improvise. Garrett was asked to run a lot more than they probably planned to have him run. They called a lot more passes than they probably wanted to. Looked to me as though for the most part, our OL did a good job pass blocking against a strong DL. Garrett waited in the pocket for a long time, rarely found a receiver open enough to throw to, and often took a sack or ran for his life for a loss, rather than throw the ball away. He needs, I think, to use that clock in his head to track how much time he has to throw and throw it away sometimes if no one is open.

Props to Clemson for doing a good job with coverage. OG was, as usual, the only WR to was able to get consistently open. We have been waiting for a young WR to develop to complement OG but it looks like it just isn’t in the cards this season. Cooper is pretty reliable getting open and catching the ball. Pena seems to get open a lot and can catch it but he is running really short routes with limited ability to extend the play. Jackson has fallen off a cliff and become a non-factor.

And then there is Alford. That was an amazing catch by Damien late in the game. Nice job ACC refs blowing the call. Consistency is important. Anyway, Damien is like 6’4, 220, a terrific athlete (probably faster than OG), and I think he is the guy who has to step up if this offense is going to improve.

And I am afraid we need another WR to step up now more than ever with Sean is this ghost like state. One of the other RBs needs to emerge to help fill the play maker void. Kind of surprised at how little LaQuint got the ball yesterday. I assume this is because the coaches don’t have a lot of confidence in him. He is going to have to help out the rest of the season. If not, I am not sure our offense is going to work well.

I rarely write much about OG because he always seems to have a good game and be Mr Reliable, which isn’t fair to him. So props to him. Clemson had someone in good position a lot; they defended him better than anyone has to date. But he was still open and still got the ball just about every time he was targeted. I think he has a great chance to be first team all conference, which is pretty amazing.

I think this was Carter’s first great game. We really needed him to step up and he did in a big way. I think he has a lot of talent and it is good to see him playing at a higher level than he has in the past. Everyone who played played well, even EFC (who really shouldn’t be playing if not for some injuries at NG). I hope he learns from this. I think he will. From what I have seen, he might have more potential than any other NT on the team. But that is a year or two down the road from today.

Though it was a good effort for the SU special teams units. Denberg continues to do a nice job on kick offs (though I would like to see all of them deep in the end zone). One of the shorter ones was returned past the 50 yard line which was a huge play. Australian Max was also solid and did a nice job. What a big upgrade for last season.

We had a breakdown on a KO return and maybe another on a punt return, which it looked like Max out kicked the coverage team. But Clemson has elite athletes. It was a good effort overall here.

Glad ND does not have a great defense. That will help. Still going to be a struggle to score a lot of points with Sean not being a major factor on offense. I hope the defense can continue to step up and somehow recover from all the hopefully minor injuries they have been dealing with.

Equally proud of what this team has accomplished and worried about how they will hold up against the rest of this gauntlet of a schedule in the second half. Good to see Pitt lost to UL. Their season is melting down quickly and as they see their dreams melt away, I am hoping they give up some on their season. Same applies to BC only more so. Kind of rooting for FSU to lose for the same reason.

That Wake game might well be for the Orange Bowl. It is going to be a war.

I’ll be honest.

That game hurt. It was hard to accept.

A win could have been so big for our program, our school and our community.

Damn. Great effort but it needed with a loss and no amount of complaining is going to change it. So I will refrain from discussing any of the controversial calls that played such a big role in determining the outcome of the game.

It was a great effort under a lot of adversity. So proud of so many players thrown into a high stakes game with little or no experience. Tony White is doing a great job getting his players ready to play. If we ever get a year when the players still reasonably healthy, watch out. That unit is going to be something.

At the golf course this morning, people were abuzz about the game. Some raved at the gutsy performance. Some were furious at Dino and the rest of the coaching staff and a couple said they weren’t going to watch any more games this season. Interesting how different people react to the same game.

Not mad at how Tucker was used. As others have noted, he was clearly playing hurt and every time he touched the ball, he was dealing with a lot of pain and asked to come out. Often not to return for the rest of that series and the next series. That isn’t the coaches fault (though I guess you could blame them if Sean got hurt seriously against Wagner trying to break a record). I don’t know for sure what his injuries are but I bet he has a couple (at least one injury to a lower leg and one to a thigh) and there might be others.

One wonders how serious his injuries are and if he sat out.a couple of games, could he get back to 100%?

With Sean pretty much not a factor in the offense, the coaches were forced to improvise. Garrett was asked to run a lot more than they probably planned to have him run. They called a lot more passes than they probably wanted to. Looked to me as though for the most part, our OL did a good job pass blocking against a strong DL. Garrett waited in the pocket for a long time, rarely found a receiver open enough to throw to, and often took a sack or ran for his life for a loss, rather than throw the ball away. He needs, I think, to use that clock in his head to track how much time he has to throw and throw it away sometimes if no one is open.

Props to Clemson for doing a good job with coverage. OG was, as usual, the only WR to was able to get consistently open. We have been waiting for a young WR to develop to complement OG but it looks like it just isn’t in the cards this season. Cooper is pretty reliable getting open and catching the ball. Pena seems to get open a lot and can catch it but he is running really short routes with limited ability to extend the play. Jackson has fallen off a cliff and become a non-factor.

And then there is Alford. That was an amazing catch by Damien late in the game. Nice job ACC refs blowing the call. Consistency is important. Anyway, Damien is like 6’4, 220, a terrific athlete (probably faster than OG), and I think he is the guy who has to step up if this offense is going to improve.

And I am afraid we need another WR to step up now more than ever with Sean is this ghost like state. One of the other RBs needs to emerge to help fill the play maker void. Kind of surprised at how little LaQuint got the ball yesterday. I assume this is because the coaches don’t have a lot of confidence in him. He is going to have to help out the rest of the season. If not, I am not sure our offense is going to work well.

I rarely write much about OG because he always seems to have a good game and be Mr Reliable, which isn’t fair to him. So props to him. Clemson had someone in good position a lot; they defended him better than anyone has to date. But he was still open and still got the ball just about every time he was targeted. I think he has a great chance to be first team all conference, which is pretty amazing.

I think this was Carter’s first great game. We really needed him to step up and he did in a big way. I think he has a lot of talent and it is good to see him playing at a higher level than he has in the past. Everyone who played played well, even EFC (who really shouldn’t be playing if not for some injuries at NG). I hope he learns from this. I think he will. From what I have seen, he might have more potential than any other NT on the team. But that is a year or two down the road from today.

Though it was a good effort for the SU special teams units. Denberg continues to do a nice job on kick offs (though I would like to see all of them deep in the end zone). One of the shorter ones was returned past the 50 yard line which was a huge play. Australian Max was also solid and did a nice job. What a big upgrade for last season.

We had a breakdown on a KO return and maybe another on a punt return, which it looked like Max out kicked the coverage team. But Clemson has elite athletesG . It was a good effort overall here.

Glad ND does not have a great defense. That will help. Still going to be a struggle to score a lot of points with Sean not being a major factor on offense. I hope the defense can continue to step up and somehow recover from all the hopefully minor injuries they have been dealing with.

Equally proud of what this team has accomplished and worried about how they will hold up against the rest of this gauntlet of a schedule in the second half. Good to see Pitt lost to UL. Their season is melting down quickly and as they see their dreams melt away, I am hoping they give up some on their season. Same applies to BC only more so. Kind of rooting for FSU to lose for the same reason.

That Wake game might well be for the Orange Bowl. It is going to be a war.
Great write up, this team desperately needs 2 more WR to step up, and make plays. After 7 games OG has caught 38 passes, Tucker 28, then the next 2 are at 18, and 12. That is unacceptable production from the other WRs.

If Clemson doesn’t make the playoffs, they will be going to the Orange Bowl. They are not automatic to get in.

Did the refs help Clemson in the Wake Forest game?
On the last change of possession why did we let the clock tick away before calling time out?
On the last pass, the game ending interception, did we have someone open in the end zone?

If Clemson doesn’t make the playoffs, they will be going to the Orange Bowl. They are not automatic to get in.
An undefeated Clemson team is a lock for the playoffs. Syracuse might have got snubbed but no way they leave out Clemson.Of course Clemson could lose one along the way.

ND’s defense is pretty good. Not Clemson good, but Clemson gave them the blueprint. Shrader will call his own number more often than handing to Tucker. Might be because Tucker is hurt and we don’t seem to have any faith in the backup RBs. Double Gadsden and let any other WR beat you.

ND’s defense is pretty good. Not Clemson good, but Clemson gave them the blueprint. Shrader will call his own number more often than handing to Tucker. Might be because Tucker is hurt and we don’t seem to have any faith in the backup RBs. Double Gadsden and let any other WR beat you.
and, pound the ball all game long to reap dividends in the second half.

and, pound the ball all game long to reap dividends in the second half.
Does ND have as big of a size advantage along the lines as Clemson? It was like a 50 pound difference on average according to the graphics ESPN showed. I think that's one reason we opened +1 against ND, they get the advantage of our lines already being somewhat worn down by Clemson. I assume ND has a size advantage in the trenches, but hopefully not as big of one there.

agreed spy Shrader, Double Gadsen. We will need another RB to step up if Tucker doesn't make get significantly better this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom