My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Bad? “
The kids are playing over their heads and coach is negating their efforts. This team has true leadership and superstars. It needs a coach who enhances that.” Is that bad?
Apparently Syracuse has no interest in being competitive. The coach is accountable. He is making more than probably everyone on this board. Wish I could find a job that I could get well below average results and have nobody question them. Coaches who make the gameday decisions he makes are Saturday pee wee volunteers. They are not getting paid. I challenge you to name one other coach who has been retained by their team after making the crazy decisions that Dino has. They don’t exist. Throw a bone at Deion. One trait he doesn’t have is freezing on decision making. Do you think that he would do a better job?
Go away!

Bad? “
The kids are playing over their heads and coach is negating their efforts. This team has true leadership and superstars. It needs a coach who enhances that.” Is that bad?
Apparently Syracuse has no interest in being competitive. The coach is accountable. He is making more than probably everyone on this board. Wish I could find a job that I could get well below average results and have nobody question them. Coaches who make the gameday decisions he makes are Saturday pee wee volunteers. They are not getting paid. I challenge you to name one other coach who has been retained by their team after making the crazy decisions that Dino has. They don’t exist. Throw a bone at Deion. One trait he doesn’t have is freezing on decision making. Do you think that he would do a better job?
Complaining about the coach on this board is not going to generate a change in leadership. You either stomach it or dont watch. You choose to watch a product that you dont like over and over again and expect different results. That sounds like a you problem.

Bottom line: Big Horses on D-Line needed and quality Back-up's

the punt block had more to do with a ND defender coming off the edge unblocked. straight sprint to the punter.

I see CDRW's tipped pass/INT being discussed.
I COULD BE WRONG, but it looked to me like the guy who tipped the pass was not being engaged
by Vett. AS a result, free to get his hands up and deflect the pass. We saw SHrader throw 2 batted balls as well last week. Sometimes it's the little things......

CD-RW doesn't play wild.

I prefer to think of it like his play is chaotic energy.

I think we need it. I mentioned in the game thread, but Shrader looked like a kicked dog out there, and the offense was similarly listless. Then CD-RW starts taking snaps, throwin' darts, and it completely changed the energy level of the team.

I'll guess Shrader isn't ready to go next week, CD-RW gets the start. It'll probably have some big ups and downs, but no matter how it goes he's going to keep the Pitt defense on their toes in a way that a less than 100% Shrader just can't do.

I think he's got "it."
He moves and throws like the Travis kid at FSU.

I see CDRW's tipped pass/INT being discussed.
I COULD BE WRONG, but it looked to me like the guy who tipped the pass was not being engaged
by Vett. AS a result, free to get his hands up and deflect the pass. We saw SHrader throw 2 batted balls as well last week. Sometimes it's the little things...

That was one of the few plays I watched over when I got home because it was such a big play. Vett was fully engaged blocking the guy the whole play. He raised his arm but I don’t think you can hold a guys arm. Just a bad break.

That was one of the few plays I watched over when I got home because it was such a big play. Vett was fully engaged blocking the guy the whole play. He raised his arm but I don’t think you can hold a guys arm. Just a bad break.
Yes. It’s what football coaches tell defensive linemen when they are blocked well and have no chance to make a play. They tell them to watch the qb’s eyes and “arms up”. A football coach actually told me that.

Yeah, the tackle was being doubled actually. That's why he put his arm up, like you're coached to do when you didn't get anywhere against the OL but see the QB throw.

Watching the replay, I kinda wonder if that same guy has an INT there without the tip. CDRW threw a laser, but if he stepped to the left quickly he's right in front of that pass. Better odds he just has a pass breakup, which would have been so much better.

CDRW threw a
Dr Evil Laser GIF

I’m very much on board with Shrader starting and playing every snap when he’s healthy but I’d be lying if I said I’m not very excited to watch CDRW play an entire game on Saturday.

If that is what happens

I’m very much on board with Shrader starting and playing every snap when he’s healthy but I’d be lying if I said I’m not very excited to watch CDRW play an entire game on Saturday.

If that is what happens

I put this in the game thread - this is the "good" problem to have when you have a four star starting QB and a four star backup QB.

I think most people are good with Shrader holding his starting gig, pending health.

But, regardless, this is a situation where a lot of credit to the coaches for having these guys in the QB room.

I put this in the game thread - this is the "good" problem to have when you have a four star starting QB and a four star backup QB.

I think most people are good with Shrader holding his starting gig, pending health.

But, regardless, this is a situation where a lot of credit to the coaches for having these guys in the QB room.
Yep. 6-2, with a good backup to our dramatically improved starter is uncharted territory (even Dungey to DeVito was a blip). I feel ok with G Williams backup too. We’re not used to still having hope when this stuff happens

Agreed. And CDRW seems to sling it as well as Shrader [kid throws a really nice ball], and can pick up chunk yardage on the move with his legs, as well. Very similar capabilities -- I think Shrader runs it a little better, CDRW seems to throw it a little better. Not much of a drop-off, skill wise -- only in terms of experience.

Glad Carlos has a full week to prepare to be the starter. I like our chances Saturday.

Agreed. And CDRW seems to sling it as well as Shrader [kid throws a really nice ball], and can pick up chunk yardage on the move with his legs, as well. Very similar capabilities -- I think Shrader runs it a little better, CDRW seems to throw it a little better. Not much of a drop-off, skill wise -- only in terms of experience.

Glad Carlos has a full week to prepare to be the starter. I like our chances Saturday.
That's a very generous assessment of Shrader's throwing. His accuracy has improved a ton, but CD-RW's spiral and velocity sure look a lot better.

That's a very generous assessment of Shrader's throwing. His accuracy has improved a ton, but CD-RW's spiral and velocity sure look a lot better.

I don't think it is -- at all. Shrader's accuracy this year lands him amongst the top QB performers in all college football this year. His recent struggles appear to be attributable to injury.

I do agree however that CDRW seems to be a more refined thrower, at an earlier stage of his developmental curve than Shrader was. Which bodes really well for the future [and hopefully the present / this weekend].

I don't think it is -- at all. Shrader's accuracy this year lands him amongst the top QB performers in all college football this year. His recent struggles appear to be attributable to injury.

I do agree however that CDRW seems to be a more refined thrower, at an earlier stage of his developmental curve than Shrader was. Which bodes really well for the future [and hopefully the present / this weekend].
I think we're in agreement that Shrader's accuracy is a lot better.

I've just never seen Shrader throw darts like we saw flying out of CD-RW's hand.

Bad? “
Watch out for FloridaMan.^^^

CDRW has a stronger arm, no doubt. And will hopefully bode well in a downfield passing game with the more athletic WRs on the field.

We'll find out Saturday if he has the touch on the shorter, intermediate stuff. That, to me, is where Shrader was excelling so far this season. Making sure everything isn't a fastball.

They will also need to work with him on his head and freezing defenders. That long ball to Alford that was intercepted by the safety (but offsides), he never once looked off that safety and the guy broke even before CDRW released it. During the game we wondered if he knew it was a free play. But in the replay, he didn't. Guy was just lined up slightly in the neutral zone.

All teachable. And we have good teachers.

I know people don’t want to hear it but these are things we can question Dino about….

His time management is questionable at best…..we’ve had this issues for years and for years they’ve been brought up.

I think with this season he has bought himself to coach out what we assume is the end of his contract…however, he needs to make a bowl again next season.

We also need to figure out why this team seems to have so many season ending injuries. If it’s not the turf, it’s on our strength and conditioning coaches and that’s on Dino.

Just because we started out 6-0 against literally cupcake teams doesn’t mean Dino should get an extension and a statue….he still has things to prove

I know people don’t want to hear it but these are things we can question Dino about….

His time management is questionable at best…..we’ve had this issues for years and for years they’ve been brought up.

I think with this season he has bought himself to coach out what we assume is the end of his contract…however, he needs to make a bowl again next season.

We also need to figure out why this team seems to have so many season ending injuries. If it’s not the turf, it’s on our strength and conditioning coaches and that’s on Dino.

Just because we started out 6-0 against literally cupcake teams doesn’t mean Dino should get an extension and a statue….he still has things to prove
I also wonder about S & C. Edinger kind of developed a bit of cult like following on here when he was hired. Maybe there’s nothing there that needs to be changed, but I think it’s a question worth asking

P

“literally cupcake teams”??

LOL, Child, please.

NCST is still ranked higher than us.

Llvll (5-3) just boatraced a ranked Wake team.

UCONN (4-5) beat BC and is on track to make a bowl. (they have winnable games vs UMass & Army left)

Purdue (5-3) is a pretty solid B1G team - 2nd in B1G West and 1 win away from a bowl, and will likely be favored in 3 of last 4 games (Illinois the only ranked team they’ll face)

UVA sucks this year, and Wagner is of course the ultimate cupcake.

So, NO - we did NOT play six literally cupcake teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom