My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Has to be quick...

Looked and sounded like a good turnout by SU fans. Thought RU played with great intensity, Rice isn't much for Xs and Os but he does show the ability to get his team to play hard. When push came to shove, we had KJ and Scoop make some big plays to keep us ahead.

CJ seemed like he was almost playing RU by himself for a big part of the game. When his mid rnage jumper left him, he responded by moving to the low post, where he has become significnatly more effective and consistent. Nice adjustment by him over the last couple of games...really helps our half court offense.

Thought Fab played weak and hurt us most of the game. Glad he finished strong. Dion and Triche didn't well well. That is becoming a trend. Wish we would sub more...I think it helps the big 5 when they are rested some before the last 5 or 10 minutes.

Probably the last game we ever play in the RAC. Dumpy sub standard facility. No wonder RU has a sub standard program when they never bother to invest in something decent. You reap what you sow.

Has to be quick...

Looked and sounded like a good turnout by SU fans. Thought RU played with great intensity, Rice isn't much for Xs and Os but he does show the ability to get his team to play hard. When push came to shove, we had KJ and Scoop make some big plays to keep us ahead.

CJ seemed like he was almost playing RU by himself for a big part of the game. When his mid rnage jumper left him, he responded by moving to the low post, where he has become significnatly more effective and consistent. Nice adjustment by him over the last couple of games...really helps our half court offense.

Thought Fab played weak and hurt us most of the game. Glad he finished strong. Dion and Triche didn't well well. That is becoming a trend. Wish we would sub more...I think it helps the big 5 when they are rested some before the last 5 or 10 minutes.

Probably the last game we ever play in the RAC. Dumpy sub standard facility. No wonder RU has a sub standard program when they never bother to invest in something decent. You reap what you sow.
Triche barely played. hard to say he didn't play well.

triche didn't play well? Kinda tough to do much from the pine.

triche didn't play well? Kinda tough to do much from the pine.

Nonsense, I thought Cooney had a great game.

Triche barely played. hard to say he didn't play well.

This one was a real head-scratcher for me. Triche seemed to be playing well in the early minutes, especially on defense, and then he gets pulled in favor of Waiters (who BTW stunk up the joint today) in the early part of the 1st half. I'm sure JB had his reasons for this, but am I missing something? Did Triche make some boneheaded play that I didn't notice? Help me out here folks.

My only quibble is with the rotation today. Why in the world is triche suddenly the Rakeem of the guards. Token starter?

Eh, Duke has made it work in a dumpy sub-standard facility. I agree though, I doubt we ever play there again.

My only quibble is with the rotation today. Why in the world is triche suddenly the Rakeem of the guards. Token starter?
I dont get it...especially in FT shooting situations...

Our interior defense was awful most of the game. RU got the ball into the paint at will for point blank shots and layups all game. And our inability to clear the defensive boards continues which is going to cost up big time eventually. Thankfully Scoop and CJ played at a high level today and made enough plays to save us. I'm happy we got the W but we need to play a lot better than this.

I dont get it...especially in FT shooting situations...
The only thing I can think of is that JB is trying to get Dion to play his way out of his funk. We are going to need him in the tournament.

Our interior defense was awful most of the game. RU got the ball into the paint at will for point blank shots and layups all game. And our inability to clear the defensive boards continues which is going to cost up big time eventually. Thankfully Scoop and CJ played at a high level today and made enough plays to save us. I'm happy we got the W but we need to play a lot better than this.

I actually thought our exterior defense was hideous in the 2H. The RU guards penetrated at will. Thankfully they didn't do a very good job of cashing in but it wasn't because they met much resistance.

Has to be quick...

I was at the game today. While Scoop had a pretty good performance, there is no way we sniff a W without CJ playing to the level he did.

With under 3 mins to go in the game, RU had the ball down 4 and that tool Mike Rice is squatting down on the court with at least 1 foot on "The Rac" sign in front of his bench! That has got to be a good 6 ft on the court!!!! I was screaming for him to be T'd up but I knew that was a waste of time :(

The student section tried to get under Fabs skin while he was shooting FTs by shouting "You Are Ugly" at him. I guess it didnt work so well.

Pretty good turnout by the Orange faithful who were very loud. Although the 300 sections were loaded with orange, I would generously estimate we had 30% total. Not as good as some prior outings.

The student section tried to get under Fabs skin while he was shooting FTs by shouting "You Are Ugly" at him. I guess it didnt work so well.

If they had shouted it in Portuguese, THAT would have been clever.

IMO ,It's hard to prove (especially after the Alley-oop dunk) but I think Triche has been injured for 4 Games

This one was a real head-scratcher for me. Triche seemed to be playing well in the early minutes, especially on defense, and then he gets pulled in favor of Waiters (who BTW stunk up the joint today) in the early part of the 1st half. I'm sure JB had his reasons for this, but am I missing something? Did Triche make some boneheaded play that I didn't notice? Help me out here folks.

It might be that with Rutgers' quick guards and personnel, JB felt that the other guards provided more speed and better defense than Brandon Triche. Perhaps it would be different if Triche was shooting lights
ouyt and hitting multiple 3-pointers.. Offensively, the Rutgers guards did little damage so JB's stratagy seemed to work against the RU backcourt. Unfortunately, SU's interior defense was poor. However, Rutgers' D couldn't stop SU's inside game- primarily CJ.

This game played out pretty much the way I thought it would. I just didn't see us winning comfortably. Thought we might cover but just thought it would be a tight game because of the way Rutgers has played against big-name opponents at the RAC over the last few years. RU seems to play to the level of their opponent more often than not.

Has to be quick...

A little more time now.

I think a few games ago, JB came to the conclusion that Fab was not going to be the low post presence on offense this team needed. He has steered away from trying to get Fab the ball down low early in games to get him in the flow and playing well. I think JB decided Fab just doesn't finish well enough right now for this to make sense.

Instead, he has moved CJ down to the low post and moved Fab out of the way, up near the high post. That has given CJ a lot more room to get open and operate and has even given Fab a chance to take a few jumpers and make some passes out of the high post. Also draws the opposition center out away from the low post.

I think this was a really good adjustment. CJ was struggling with his mid range jumper and having problems scoring. Fab has had problems getting open, catching and finishing down low all season. It has really made a difference for us in our half court offense. If Fab can get a little better at running pick and rolls, maybe set a few picks for KJ and BT (right now he really only screens for the point at the top of the key) and get a little better crashing the offensive boards from the high post, our half court offense could get even better.

Good to see some changes being made to address some long standing issues.

Has to be quick...

sorry tom, but i respectfully disagree.rice is an x and o guy and had his YOUNG team in a position to win this game.excellent game plan ,pound it down. we were lucky to get out of there. yes the rac is a dump but a great homer court, and that dump, got rice the 9th or 10th best recruiting class last year.as for the last statement regarding a sub standard facility,reeks of the attitude and arrogance that was prevalent by us when they were building their football program, which i point out cost us dearly--despite the warnings by orangepa,myself and others at the time. invest in facilities like our football program has????you are definitely right, we reap what we sow.i hope the complacency that permeated the football program does not translate to our hoops program.

sorry tom, but i respectfully disagree.rice is an x and o guy and had his YOUNG team in a position to win this game.excellent game plan ,pound it down. we were lucky to get out of there. yes the rac is a dump but a great homer court, and that dump, got rice the 9th or 10th best recruiting class last year.as for the last statement regarding a sub standard facility,reeks of the attitude and arrogance that was prevalent by us when they were building their football program, which i point out cost us dearly--despite the warnings by orangepa,myself and others at the time. invest in facilities like our football program has????you are definitely right, we reap what we sow.i hope the complacency that permeated the football program does not translate to our hoops program.
Your warnings regarding the basketball program are not warranted. We have arguably the most famous and iconic basketball facility in the country, at the least the largest and we have the best basketball practice facility in the country as well. The RAC, as you admit, is a dump. RU did invest an incredible amount of money trying to get relevant in football in what turned out to be the biggest waste of money in the history of college athletics. They will not repeat that mistake with basketball. They can't afford to.

I don't see why you would think Rice is a good X and O guy. His insistence on playing man was a foolish mistake that got his team in deep foul trouble and played into JB's hands. Any good coach knows the best way to play this Syracuse team is to zone them. I wasn't particularly impressed by his 'great' recruiting class either. Bunch of decent players. When he starts getting AA level players, I will be impressed. Has that happened yet? Frankly, I don't care. Rutgers is irrelevant.

I think a few games ago, JB came to the conclusion that Fab was not going to be the low post presence on offense this team needed. He has steered away from trying to get Fab the ball down low early in games to get him in the flow and playing well. I think JB decided Fab just doesn't finish well enough right now for this to make sense.

I think Fab has been pretty good down low, especially finishing. He has made some really nice moves down there.

I think Fab has been pretty good down low, especially finishing. He has made some really nice moves down there.

You think so? He's shooting 48% on the year, and probably no more than a dozen of those shots have come from outside six feet. Fab misses an astounding number of layups for someone his size; he's like Ryan Blackwell (only taller and a better leaper, so his misses are more surprising).

It's an interesting point that Tomcat makes; it's great that C.J. has made such a startling turnaround after that one poor shooting game (Georgetown, I think?). Still, I don't think the answer to improved post production (at least in the long-term) is to move the 7-footer out of the post because he's not finishing. Why not just force-feed him and teach him to finish? Two-hand dunk = good. Drop-step and fall-away layup with a release point around your shoulder = bad.

You think so? He's shooting 48% on the year, and probably no more than a dozen of those shots have come from outside six feet. Fab misses an astounding number of layups for someone his size; he's like Ryan Blackwell (only taller and a better leaper, so his misses are more surprising).

It's an interesting point that Tomcat makes; it's great that C.J. has made such a startling turnaround after that one poor shooting game (Georgetown, I think?). Still, I don't think the answer to improved post production (at least in the long-term) is to move the 7-footer out of the post because he's not finishing. Why not just force-feed him and teach him to finish? Two-hand dunk = good. Drop-step and fall-away layup with a release point around your shoulder = bad.

Huh? Fab is shooting 57% on the year, isnt he?

Last 4 games: 5-6, 5-8, 4-7, 4-7 (yesterday was 2-5), so I am not even sure I understand the "we are going away from him comment". numbers are pretty consistent all year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom