My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Small crowd, I would guess 13K-15K actually in the seats. No student section, no SSS but there were cheerleaders, the dance team and Otto. Classes are already out, I guess.

I want to give credit to whoever is selecting the singers for the NA this season. They are doing a heck of a job. A ninth grade girl from Bville sang it today, did a bang up job. Very impressive again.

Props to the group of young kids who walked to the top of one of the nether sections, took their shirts off and spun them wildly to get on the Fan Cam during one of the breaks. I think they were from a Cub Scout troop, though they were pretty wild for Cub Scouts.

Also want to credit Wagner's fanbase. They had 20 or 30 fans behind their bench, which is great for an away team, and another small but vocal group in the upper deck behind the north basket. They had more fans here for the game than any Big East school typically brings. Maybe they should be considered if the BE continues to lacerate members at an alarming pace.

Wagner was undersized, but played very hard. They were physical, hustled, showed good fundamentals...I was impressed. Worked the ball around the zone nicely and got a lot of good looks. Tried hard to beat us down court to get easy baskets and had some success doing this, especially when DaJuan was in. Definitely well coached.

They played man to man exclusively. Their little guards bothered MCW a lot and got several steals in the open court on him. On one, MCW hustled back, furious at losing the ball and made a great block of the snowbird dunk the Wagner guard told he had. MCW has a lot of pride, that much is for sure. We had some problems with their man for most of the first half, and often had to resort to pounding the offensive boards to get a basket.

Lots of good looks missed inside, we didn't shoot great from the outside early either. Only a late spurt in the first half allowed SU to get a double digit lead and control of the game.

DuJuan had a nightmarish game. Got the ball in position to score a lot, got some rebounds, was active on the boards but he just could not finish. Kept bringing his hand, shoulders and hands low and coming up from there. This move works in HS but not in college...he got the ball stripped over and over. Some could have easily been called fouls but with his body, the refs are not going to be really sympathetic. Was really frustrated but kept playing hard.

MCW is one of those players who dominates the game when he is in. When he makes a great play, everyone notices. When he makes a bad one, everyone notices. He gets a lot of rebounds, gets a lot of steals, scores his share of points (though he really shot the ball poorly today) and most of all., he gets a ton of assists. Most have been double digit in that category today. Gets his share of turnovers too, it is going to be frustrating watching him at times but he makes so many good plays, the bad ones can and will be tolerated by JB.

Brandon was, I think, the most solid player on the court. He is getting a lot of offensive rebounds in the paint these days. Finishing better inside than he has in past years. Played under control, took what the defense gave him. Really nice floor game. Drew another charge, something DeJuan really needs to learn how to do. He is in a nice place right now...I hope he keeps it up.

Thought James really played well too. His floor game is the best it has ever been...playing good defense, getting some blocks and rebounds, weak side defense is much improved. Passing it well and yes, he is shooting extremely well right now. Did not force anything. Great performance. Might be the first time this year he did not play minutes at guard.

That was because Trevor is back and he had a good game today. His defense was, I think, the big story. Got his hands on a bunch of passes, really hustled on defense, made a couple fine passes and yes, the kid can shoot the ball pretty well too.

Keita is playing the best ball of his career right now. His hands are suddenly quite solid, he is more confident and aggressive on offense and is blocking shots with great regularity and elan. Rebounding well too. We seem to run more with him in the game. I bet his plus minus this year is really good.

CJ did a nice job. Wish he dunked the one lob he got with his right hand...needs work on that hand but he is consistent and reliable and did well. Might not have played as much as he will normally so the younger players could play.

That includes Jerami Grant, who again did a nice job. Does nothing spectacular, rarely does anything wrong, the heady true frosh vet has skills and smarts.

Christmas had a really good game. Blocked a lot of shots, really intimidated the Wagnerites. When he got the ball down low, he consistently converted it. MCW and Rak have a nice connection and MCW is going to have a lot of assists to him over this season. Really likes to get the ball to him, especially in transition.

Good game, the team played quite well. Princeton should be interesting on Wednesday.

last week i'll blame it on the boat. but first half today i am still seeing an incredibly undisciplined team unable to either identify and/or exploit their tremendous physical advantages. until it gels a runaway trainwreck just waiting to happen.

I think CJ played poorly and the spacing of the starting unit was terrible.

The rim had a lid on it in the first half for most of out team. DaJuan got mauled when trying to go up with the ball, but you are right, he won't get a lot of calls and needs to keep the ball up high and away from those little ants below. Good report and good analysis of players, although I did not see much from CJ today.

last week i'll blame it on the boat. but first half today i am still seeing an incredibly undisciplined team unable to either identify and/or exploit their tremendous physical advantages. until it gels a runaway trainwreck just waiting to happen.

That might not be that far off. The first half was ugly.

Thrilled that Tomcat managed to sneak "elan" into a recap, though. So this game was pretty much a win through and through.

Was really impressed with James handle and passing. He had a couple dribbles where guys where swatting at the ball and he was avoiding and doing some nice moves. He had some great passes too. I was impressed and hope to see more of it. His mid range game looks money as well. He jacked up a couple bad 3 pointers but that was the only thing I didn't like.

Cooney's defense was much better than I expected. He'll get minutes because of that. And his shot looks money. It just seems like its going in everytime.

Also Liked Grant a lot. his jumpshot isn't going down but it doesn't look bad. he does a lot of the little things. When I watch him I think he defenitely has NBA potential in a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom