My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Unusually small crowd, even with return of the students, who turned out in decent numbers. The crowd was really quiet most of the game. For a long time, the loudest ovation was for a big kiss shown on the Kiss Cam. When this happens, it is a strong sign the game is a stinker.

EMU came out in the Syracuse 2-3. They have some good athletes, they work very hard on defense and presented us some problems running our half court offense. They got a lot of steals anddeflections and Dash was dominating inside, blocking 5 or more shots in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Around that time, JB decided to put on the full court press. That was the turning point of the game...EMU did a terrible job attacking it. For a long time, they struggled to get the ball to half court. SU has a bevy of tall, athletic players with long arms who anticipate well, and that is a formula for a great pressing team. At this point, I think JB might end up pressing for a time most games. It appears to be a major weapon for this team.

EMU also had some success crashing the offensive boards against our 2-3. They got their fair share of rebounds here, and got quite a few points. Kind of disappointed in our effort tonight defensive rebounding. We have DCII, who is an above average rebounder even as a frosh. After that, not much. MCW might well be our 2nd best rebounder. Unless something drastic happens, this looks to be a weakness we will deal with the rest of the season. We aren't terrible, but against a team that hits the offensive boards hard, we will get hurt. Someone like UL could really do some damage against us here.

The big story of the game, other than the press, was the improved play of the freshmen. Trevor Cooney got off the snide with a couple of 3s and played some good defense. Drew a foul or two as well. Hope that frees him up from the pressure he appears to have been feeling and allows him to play like he can play. DaJuan Coleman had, I believe, his first game scoring in double figures. Hustled, played a little better defense on the low post. He rebounded the ball well again. Pretty impressive to score double figures given he was matched against Dash most of the game.

Dash is a fine shot blocker. Was impressed with the improvements Dash has made since he left SU. Passed it well (he could always do that), ran the floor well (ditto), got some rebounds (he is a lot stronger now), got some steals, was very active on defense. Still really struggles to finish even simple plays down low but he is more than serviceable these days. Good for him.

I liked a bunch of the EMU players. #23 is a fine athlete, tough and smart. #5 is very solid. I really liked their defense and they can score pretty well too. I expect them to win 20 games and would not be surprised if they do not win the MAC. They probably won't but will come close to doing this. They are legitimately good. No question to me that they played better defense than Arkansas (but are nowhere near as good at offense).

Back to Syracuse and the frosh. Saved the best for last. Grant had a sublime performance; showed great hustle, passed it well, rebounded well, shot it well, defended well, you get the idea. He did everything well, scored double figures and was arguably the best player on the floor.

Unless it was MCW, who was a little more sloppy with TOs than normal, but made a ton of good passes, scored some points and was dominant with his great defense. The guy is a master of stealing the ball from people in the open floor, a very difficult task. Really fun player to watch. He makes the game look so easy. On a selfish level, when he takes a 3 I always root for it to miss, in the desperate hope that this will keep him in Syracuse for just one more year. Sadly, I don't think this is going to work though. Enjoy him while you can. Like a comet across the sky, I don't think he is going to last much longer here.

BT had a good game, got some steals, won some 50-50 balls (he is among the best I have seen at this, Dion is the all time best here), did a lot of little things to help the team win.

CJ still seems a bit off. Turning the ball over more than normal, missing shots he normally makes. I don't know what the deal is, still not really concerned about it but it would be great to see him have a strong game sometime soon.

James has his great games and his quiet games. Today was a quiet one. EMU had SU well scouted, they tilted the zone towards him and he struggled to get a decent look from the 3 point circle all game long. Good job by Murph and his kids.

Keita played a restrained game, didn't take a lot of shots, converted pretty well when he had a chance. Didn't force anything, played good defense. He is a classic role player on this team and his plays his role well.

Christmas had a bunch of shots blocked by Dash. Doesn't know how to use his body well to protect the ball and it showed. He has some moves and can play well on offense at times, but at other times, he looks really uncomfortable and amateurish out there. Didn't take it hard to the basket most of the game, but did play better in the 2nd half. He is a young big guy and he is going to have good and bad days.

I think that covers everyone. Good effort. Our half court offense remains a worry. Took a bunch of 3s, didn't get the ball inside well and when we did, we didn't finish well. That remains a concern. We are going to struggle some against good defensive teams. Especially ones that play a good physical brand of man to man defense.

I maintain EMU is way better than they showed today. As long as the team they play is not good at pressing full court.

We put up 73 points without MCW and Southerland tonight. Thats pretty good news.

I think #23 [Glenn Bryant] is a former SU target from Oak Hill. Kid was an impressive athlete--very strong, too. Seeing him today, I'm not surprised about why we pursued him. But seeing his size [6-5 or so], I'm not surprised why we passed on him, either.

I think #23 [Glenn Bryant] is a former SU target from Oak Hill. Kid was an impressive athlete--very strong, too. Seeing him today, I'm not surprised about why we pursued him. But seeing his size [6-5 or so], I'm not surprised why we passed on him, either.
Bryant has always been a ridiculous athlete but offers nothing outside of the paint, which is why a lot of other high-major programs passed up on him as well.

Tomcat, I agree with most of what you said except the rebounding. I thought we did a good job on both ends until we built that 20 plus lead and then they were able to get some multiple opportunities after misses. Besides the 2nd half against SDSU, I've been fine with our rebounding. We'll see how things go against Big East comp tho.

Yea, Christmas is an intriguing athlete. He has bulked up and has impressive leaping ability but his skill set is really limited and he doesn't appear to have a high motor. I think that was a knock on him coming out of high school. Hope he sticks around to hone his skills. If he gets drafted on potential, he could easily be another Fab Melo and be quickly relegated to the D league.

Grant had a sublime performance; showed great hustle, passed it well, rebounded well, shot it well, defended well, you get the idea. He did everything well, scored double figures and was arguably the best player on the floor. Unless it was MCW, who was a little more sloppy with TOs than normal, but made a ton of good passes, scored some points and was dominant with his great defense. The guy is a master of stealing the ball from people in the open floor, a very difficult task.
This is going to be one of those years where there is a different player (or two or three) every game . . . and that's a good thing

Tomcat, I agree with most of what you said except the rebounding. I thought we did a good job on both ends until we built that 20 plus lead and then they were able to get some multiple opportunities after misses. Besides the 2nd half against SDSU, I've been fine with our rebounding. We'll see how things go against Big East comp tho.
I agree with Francis on this . . . overall, the defensive rebounding is significantly improved from last year.

After this game tape gets out there, everyone will try to zone us and press them!

Unusually small crowd, even with return of the students, who turned out in decent numbers. The crowd was really quiet most of the game. For a long time, the loudest ovation was for a big kiss shown on the Kiss Cam. When this happens, it is a strong sign the game is a stinker.

EMU came out in the Syracuse 2-3. They have some good athletes, they work very hard on defense and presented us some problems running our half court offense. They got a lot of steals anddeflections and Dash was dominating inside, blocking 5 or more shots in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Around that time, JB decided to put on the full court press. That was the turning point of the game...EMU did a terrible job attacking it. For a long time, they struggled to get the ball to half court. SU has a bevy of tall, athletic players with long arms who anticipate well, and that is a formula for a great pressing team. At this point, I think JB might end up pressing for a time most games. It appears to be a major weapon for this team.

EMU also had some success crashing the offensive boards against our 2-3. They got their fair share of rebounds here, and got quite a few points. Kind of disappointed in our effort tonight defensive rebounding. We have DCII, who is an above average rebounder even as a frosh. After that, not much. MCW might well be our 2nd best rebounder. Unless something drastic happens, this looks to be a weakness we will deal with the rest of the season. We aren't terrible, but against a team that hits the offensive boards hard, we will get hurt. Someone like UL could really do some damage against us here.

The big story of the game, other than the press, was the improved play of the freshmen. Trevor Cooney got off the snide with a couple of 3s and played some good defense. Drew a foul or two as well. Hope that frees him up from the pressure he appears to have been feeling and allows him to play like he can play. DaJuan Coleman had, I believe, his first game scoring in double figures. Hustled, played a little better defense on the low post. He rebounded the ball well again. Pretty impressive to score double figures given he was matched against Dash most of the game.

Dash is a fine shot blocker. Was impressed with the improvements Dash has made since he left SU. Passed it well (he could always do that), ran the floor well (ditto), got some rebounds (he is a lot stronger now), got some steals, was very active on defense. Still really struggles to finish even simple plays down low but he is more than serviceable these days. Good for him.

I liked a bunch of the EMU players. #23 is a fine athlete, tough and smart. #5 is very solid. I really liked their defense and they can score pretty well too. I except them to win 20 games and would not be surprised if they do not win the MAC. They probably won't but will come close to doing this. They are legitimately good. No question to me that they played better defense than Arkansas (but are nowhere near as good at offense).

Back to Syracuse and the frosh. Saved the best for last. Grant had a sublime performance; showed great hustle, passed it well, rebounded well, shot it well, defended well, you get the idea. He did everything well, scored double figures and was arguably the best player on the floor.

Unless it was MCW, who was a little more sloppy with TOs than normal, but made a ton of good passes, scored some points and was dominant with his great defense. The guy is a master of stealing the ball from people in the open floor, a very difficult task. Really fun player to watch. He makes the game look so easy. On a selfish level, when he takes a 3 I always root for it to miss, in the desperate hope that this will keep him in Syracuse for just one more year. Sadly, I don't think this is going to work though. Enjoy him while you can. Like a comet across the sky, I don't think he is going to last much longer here.

BT had a good game, got some steals, won some 50-50 balls (he is among the best I have seen at this, Dion is the all time best here), did a lot of little things to help the team win.

CJ still seems a bit off. Turning the ball over more than normal, missing shots he normally makes. I don't know what the deal is, still not really concerned about it but it would be great to see him have a strong game sometime soon.

James has his great games and his quiet games. Today was a quiet one. EMU had SU well scouted, they tilted the zone towards him and he struggled to get a decent look from the 3 point circle all game long. Good job by Murph and his kids.

Keita played a restrained game, didn't take a lot of shots, converted pretty well when he had a chance. Didn't force anything, played good defense. He is a classic role player on this team and his plays his role well.

Christmas had a bunch of shots blocked by Dash. Doesn't know how to use his body well to protect the ball and it showed. He has some moves and can play well on offense at times, but at other times, he looks really uncomfortable and amateurish out there. Didn't take it hard to the basket most of the game, but did play better in the 2nd half. He is a young big guy and he is going to have good and bad days.

I think that covers everyone. Good effort. Our half court offense remains a worry. Took a bunch of 3s, didn't get the ball inside well and when we did, we didn't finish well. That remains a concern. We are going to struggle some against good defensive teams. Especially ones that play a good physical brand of man to man defense.

I maintain EMU is way better than they showed today. As long as the team they play is not good at pressing full court.

Cooney actually "got off the schneid" not the snide.
See here, scroll down: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/pete_mcentegart/10/27/ten.spot/index.html

Great analysis as usual Tom. An observation on my part. The EMU zone and Southie's down night, to me, illustrated our lack of depth at the 1-2 positions. Heaven help us if either BT or MCW goes down during the season ... especially MCW. BT may do a credible job at the 1 but he isn't a 1. Loved seeing Cooney finally break the ice ... hope he continues. Otherwise we are really lacking back up at the guard positions.

Cooney actually "got off the schneid" not the snide.
See here, scroll down: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/pete_mcentegart/10/27/ten.spot/index.html
Thanks Zoo. Appreciate you explaining this without making a snide remark (drum sound in the background).

In that link, there is also an interesting explanation for the term baseball Texas League, that apparently dates back to the 1880s and a remark a Syracuse pitcher made during the brief period that they were playing in the American Association, then considered to be a major league for baseball. To complete the circle, the remark the Syracuse pitcher allegedly made about the hits was, without question, a snide one.

It probably got the Texas Leaguers off the schneid too.

I will now self suspend myself for 30 minutes.

I believe this is the 3rd game (of 6) that MCW was the leading rebounder. I voiced the concern after the Arkansas game. According to the stats, MCW is our LEADING rebounder with 39, six more than the next closest guy (CJ). Last year the guards didn't help out at all for a lot of the games and it was a concern. To have the starting pg lead is not good either.

I remember him, too, as a recruiting target, funny thing is I believe he originally played for Arkansas, but I am not sure.

I remember him, too, as a recruiting target, funny thing is I believe he originally played for Arkansas, but I am not sure.

I think that's right--after playing them, he certainly seems to be a good system fit for that style of play.

Without MCW this is a bubble team. Just look at Carolina in the tourney last year. And cooney needs to stop banging red bulls with nassib.

Without MCW this is a bubble team. Just look at Carolina in the tourney last year. And cooney needs to stop banging red bulls with nassib.

Yo could say that about 25 teams. The fact is we have MCW and are far from a bubble team.

I believe this is the 3rd game (of 6) that MCW was the leading rebounder. I voiced the concern after the Arkansas game. According to the stats, MCW is our LEADING rebounder with 39, six more than the next closest guy (CJ). Last year the guards didn't help out at all for a lot of the games and it was a concern. To have the starting pg lead is not good either.
I posted about this in another thread, but Syracuse has three guys rotating through C&PF (who also lose time to Southerland/Fair) and they don't see as many minutes as MCW but are averaging many more boards on a per 40 minutes basis. If Coleman was playing even just 28 minutes a game, he'd be posting a double double every night.

Since Syracuse has a rebounding margin is +7.8 so far this season, I am not worried about rebounding yet. MCW averaging 6.5 rpg seems to be most of that margin. He is contributing to a healthy rebounding team, not hurting us. He seems to get many of those long rebounds on missed threes that often go to the opponents speedy guards. With Triche averaging 3.5 as well, our guards most be among the best rebounding guard duo Syracuse has had. This is a good thing, not a problem.

On a selfish level, when he takes a 3 I always root for it to miss, in the desperate hope that this will keep him in Syracuse for just one more year.

this is so wrong! oh so so wrong!

that's like your boss saying, "you do great work, so I hope your investment accounts lose money and you have to put off your retirement for another year!"

and without JB we're Providence . . . good thing is we have 'em both.
that would imply the program will fade away when JB sails into the sunset. it's sad that you think SU is as fragile as their wasteland neighbors in Hartford.

that would imply the program will fade away when JB sails into the sunset. it's sad that you think SU is as fragile as their wasteland neighbors in Hartford.

As a matter of fact, I do think that SU will become a near-permanent 2nd or 3rd tier ACC program after JB retires

As a matter of fact, I do think that SU will become a near-permanent 2nd or 3rd tier ACC program after JB retires

And what will happen to Duke when K retires, or Carolina when Roy goes or Louisville without Pitino in just a few years?

And what will happen to Duke when K retires, or Carolina when Roy goes or Louisville without Pitino in just a few years?
you'll have to ask people more familiar with their programs, but the fact is that all three were established programs with multiple final fours to their credits before their current coaches (and multiple national titles, in the cases of UNC and UL) indicates that they will likely transition well

Syracuse basketball, on the other hand, is Jim Boeheim. Take him away and you have just another small private university in a frigid rust belt city, whose only selling point will be a huge but aging old arena.

I don't like the math.

Nice outlook Nostradamus. What's with you, just found out you caught the crabs? Jeez.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom