My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

you'll have to ask people more familiar with their programs, but the fact is that all three were established programs with multiple final fours to their credits before their current coaches (and multiple national titles, in the cases of UNC and UL) indicates that they will likely transition well

Syracuse basketball, on the other hand, is Jim Boeheim. Take him away and you have just another small private university in a frigid rust belt city, whose only selling point will be a huge but aging old arena.

I don't like the math.

Wasn't Duke basketball pretty bad prior to Coach K? I think Duke & SU will make good hires when the current JC leaves. But even a good coach can have bad luck.

Wasn't Duke basketball pretty bad prior to Coach K? I think Duke & SU will make good hires when the current JC leaves. But even a good coach can have bad luck.
they certainly weren't at the heights K has taken them to, but they were one of the ten winningest programs in history and had been to 3 or 4 Final Fours prior to K taking over

you'll have to ask people more familiar with their programs, but the fact is that all three were established programs with multiple final fours to their credits before their current coaches (and multiple national titles, in the cases of UNC and UL) indicates that they will likely transition well

Syracuse basketball, on the other hand, is Jim Boeheim. Take him away and you have just another small private university in a frigid rust belt city, whose only selling point will be a huge but aging old arena.

I don't like the math.
Typical negative Syracuse guy for ya! I think you're dead wrong.

As a matter of fact, I do think that SU will become a near-permanent 2nd or 3rd tier ACC program after JB retires

Denizens like yourself with an inferiority complex should be herded into a wagon and shipped off to Wyoming.

Yea, Christmas is an intriguing athlete. He has bulked up and has impressive leaping ability but his skill set is really limited and he doesn't appear to have a high motor. I think that was a knock on him coming out of high school. Hope he sticks around to hone his skills. If he gets drafted on potential, he could easily be another Fab Melo and be quickly relegated to the D league.
Baye has a better chance at getting drafted at the end of this year then Xmas.

Denizens like yourself with an inferiority complex should be herded into a wagon and shipped off to Wyoming.
Would that be a regulation NBA-size wagon or a regulation NCAA-size wagon?

believing that we are enjoying a terrific Indian Summer from one of the best coaches in college hoops history means I have an inferiority complex?

believing that we are enjoying a terrific Indian Summer from one of the best coaches in college hoops history means I have an inferiority complex?

To believe that SU's past, present, and future are all wrapped up in one individual reeks of inferiority. The yaks in Wyoming may be sympathetic to your outlook, though.

To believe that SU's past, present, and future are all wrapped up in one individual reeks of inferiority. The yaks in Wyoming may be sympathetic to your outlook, though.
I must say that I completely agree. I think that SU has better days ahead not worse. I would say that JB has been a bit of an under achiever at tournament time.

As a matter of fact, I do think that SU will become a near-permanent 2nd or 3rd tier ACC program after JB retires

I think your 20/20 foresight is failing, Moqui. At least with this statement.

Hopkins is the reason Syracuse doesn't lose a beat when JB retires.

I think that the recent (last decade starting with Forth/Edelin class) recruiting resurgence is in some ways in spite of JB rather than because of him. Basketball is all about recruiting, and Hopkins is among the best recruiters in basketball. If we continue to have top 10 recruiting classes year after year, the step down in game management that will occur when JB retires will not be nearly as painful as if we have a huge recruiting drop off. One thing Hopkins has been able to accomplish is the get the old man to change one major recruting tactic... Three years in a row we got a very important Center recruit by promising that the player would start. If that wasn't a complete turnaround from previous years, I don't know what would qualify!

Hopkins' best sales job thus far is on his own head coach. He will continue to be a huge recruiting asset as an assistant or head coach, and the roll will continue as long as he is around.

The second reason Syracuse doesn't fade is the legacy is in place. No possible recruit considering Syracuse was born when Syracuse first went to the Final Four. In fact, most of the recruits parents won't be able to remember a time when Syracuse wasn't a top program.

How many generations do you think it takes for a program to solidify itself, Moqui?

I don't like the math.

And what's the Melo Center, nothing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom