My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Small crowd again but this one had some life to it. Still no students, SSS, Otto or dance team, no HS stand ins either.

The NA was sung by a very pretty coed from Cornell, who delivered a version that was, lets say, highly stylized and unusual. It was anything but routine.

This might well be the last time Rutgers plays a basketball game on the Dome. I was interested to see how the Scarlet Knights would react. Would they play the game of their lives? Or would the worst program in the history of the conference lay an egg?

Well, Rutgers did what Rutgers does, got blown out on an epic, truly Rutgerian fashion. I think they end their time playing Syracuse with one victory in the Dome in something like 26 times. Awesome.

Hard to draw any meaningful conclusions against a hapless exhibition opponent like this but it was good to see BT and MCW play well again. Brandon was particularly effective, scoring from all over the court, getting steals, passing the ball with uncommon élan and generally dominating play. At one point, I believe the score was BT 9 RU 7. Solid.

Thought MCW was solid. Got a bushel full of assists and rarely turned it over.

Thought CJ played another fine game. Did not force things and was under control.

Christmas showed me a lot on defense where he is emerging as our best interior defender. Consistently stopping drivers to the hoop, he is intimidating people and was a big reason the defense was better. Heartens to miss a dunk on speculation fashion in every game.

DC2 is struggling on defense and in danger of dropping out of the rotation if he can't improve at stopping people attacking the basket when he is in. It is a shame as he is by far our best rebounder mans I think we need a great rebounder in the rotation.

James struggled some against the aggressive man defense RU played. Some nice blocks and hustle but he is usually either great or a near non-factor.

Grant always has some big highlights. Had a sequence when he made a great block, ran down the court and got fouled trying to make a vicious dunk. The competition for PT between Jerami and JS is getting fierce.

Trevor played limited minutes with the stellar play of BT and MCW. Didn't do much I that time.

Keita was pretty quiet. Thought his defense was a little soft but not awful.

Nice win. Good to get to 903. Congrats to JB'S for reaching another unthinkable milestone.

Mr Excitement continues his rhyming routine. Snow continues to fall. Beer continues to be drunk in the Dome.

Really nice job by the SU guards on defense, who took the one good RU outside shooter, #4, out of the game. He was a non factor tonight, had been averaging 52% from the 3 point circle. Good to see the 2-3 doing what it was designed to do. And that is my takeaway from the game. Good defensive effort tonight that was really needed.

It is something to build on. Let's hope this continues next game.

Small crowd again but this one had some life to it. Still no students, SSS, Otto or dance team, no HS stand ins either.

The NA was sung by a very pretty coed from Cornell, who delivered a version that was, lets say, highly stylized and unusual. It was anything but routine.

Very diplomatic, as always. On that note, I don't believe you remarked on Monday's anthem. It was the best in memory. Tonight's...different.

Nice to see an active crowd tonight. The announced number was the second-smallest of the year (remarkable for the last Big East opener - smallest Big East crowd in four years and fourth-smallest since 2002), but a much higher percentage of seats sold were actually occupied this evening.

I enjoyed the write up, but feel bad at the lack of assessment for the walk-ons, especially after such a detailed start at the beginning :)

"The competition for PT between Jerami and JS is getting fierce."

Huh? :confused:
Much closer than it was at the beginning of the season. If JS is not making his 3pt. he doesn't bring much that Jerami can't.

Re: Rutgers' record in the Dome, during the broadcast I believe they said Rutgers hasn't won in Syracuse since 1975, which would mean they've never won in the Dome.

Of course I could be remembering that factoid incorrectly.

I was told by the guy in front of me to only yell when the team did something good, he was also offended by the word bull. What's with these people?!

Much closer than it was at the beginning of the season. If JS is not making his 3pt. he doesn't bring much that Jerami can't.
Excuse me, but Southerland's four steals came from bringing a lot more that making threes. Gee, he only had nine points off the bench tonight.

Excuse me, but Southerland's four steals came from bringing a lot more that making threes. Gee, he only had nine points off the bench tonight.
JS had what you said in 25 minutes on the floor with 4-13 shooting and 1 RB. Jeremy had 3pts(1-3) and 5 RB in 14 minutes.
I said it was much closer than the beginning of the year. I didn't say JS had a bad game last night. I was simply making the point that he usually doesn't contribute much that Jeremy can't if he isn't hitting his shots. Last night was a good exception for him.

Re: Rutgers' record in the Dome, during the broadcast I believe they said Rutgers hasn't won in Syracuse since 1975, which would mean they've never won in the Dome.

You are correct. Rutgers never beat Syracuse in the Carrier Dome. Their record playing in the Dome ends at 0-16.

I remember that game in 1975. Phil Sellers was the star for Rutgers, who actually had a good team then. I believe Eddie Jordan, Hollis Copeland, Mike Dabney, James Bailey were also on that team. Sellers was fouled a lot down the stretch, and everytime he made a free throw, he would leave his right hand in an extended follow through for at least 5 seconds. I was not a fan.

Can't find a box score from that game. I am pretty sure it was the first time I saw Syracuse lose in person. It didn't happen very often at Manley Field House.

Anyway, wow, Rutgers is even worse than I thought. Thanks for the correction.

Also, sorry for a pretty badly typed post. Did it on my iPhone just before going to sleep. Not a good idea.

Link

I enjoyed the write up, but feel bad at the lack of assessment for the walk-ons, especially after such a detailed start at the beginning :)

Here ya go: They can't score...this walk-on group is not as good as the group(s) from the last few years...

I found this little factoid interesting. Leo Rautins has the most triple doubles?? Is that right?
To me what made the difference, defensively, is when JB extended the zone on those 3-point shooters and effectively shut them down. Great coaching move!!

Here ya go: They can't score...this walk-on group is not as good as the group(s) from the last few years...

The best part happened with about ten seconds left: the ball-handler was taking it upcourt with no defender on him, he inexplicably made a beeline for a double-team near midcourt (despite the fact that his sideline was wide open), tried to split the double, and coughed the ball up. Guess he was trying to add a degree of difficulty.

Small crowd again but this one had some life to it. Still no students, SSS, Otto or dance team, no HS stand ins either. Funny how the annoucers were playing up the crowd. Wenzel thought 25 - 30,000. Play-by-play thought 27,000. Then I read in this mornigns paper it was 17,500.

This might well be the last time Rutgers plays a basketball game on the Dome. I was interested to see how the Scarlet Knights would react. Would they play the game of their lives? Or would the worst program in the history of the conference lay an egg? Maybe SU could bring them in as part of the regular preseason cupcakes. Would look good to have a Big 10 visiting every year even if they aren't very good.

Well, Rutgers did what Rutgers does, got blown out on an epic, truly Rutgerian fashion. I think they end their time playing Syracuse with one victory in the Dome in something like 26 times. Awesome.

Hard to draw any meaningful conclusions against a hapless exhibition opponent like this but it was good to see BT and MCW play well again. Brandon was particularly effective, scoring from all over the court, getting steals, passing the ball with uncommon élan and generally dominating play. At one point, I believe the score was BT 9 RU 7. Solid.

Thought MCW was solid. Got a bushel full of assists and rarely turned it over.

Thought CJ played another fine game. Did not force things and was under control.

Christmas showed me a lot on defense where he is emerging as our best interior defender. Consistently stopping drivers to the hoop, he is intimidating people and was a big reason the defense was better. Heartens to miss a dunk on speculation fashion in every game.

DC2 is struggling on defense and in danger of dropping out of the rotation if he can't improve at stopping people attacking the basket when he is in. It is a shame as he is by far our best rebounder mans I think we need a great rebounder in the rotation. I still can't get over how highly this guy was rated and how poorly he is performing. the third center in a row that is not going to be much of a contributor his freshman year.

James struggled some against the aggressive man defense RU played. Some nice blocks and hustle but he is usually either great or a near non-factor.

Grant always has some big highlights. Had a sequence when he made a great block, ran down the court and got fouled trying to make a vicious dunk. The competition for PT between Jerami and JS is getting fierce. Somebody said that without his 3's JS doesn't bring anything more to the game that Jerami doesn't. What about experience? That alone is enough to leave him on the court. Jerami is a nice player but he still has a ways to go to fill JS's shoes.

That's what they flashed on the screen. And, we went to the FF in San Diego that year. (On a side note, Rutgers, with the same cast of characters, went to the FF the following year.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom