My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Great game between two well matched teams. Lots of great individual plays throughout the game. Glad we will not lose the series with UL when we move to the ACC.

As I watch this last round of Big East games for Syracuse, I can sense the fear and apprehension in Chapel Hill, Durham, Winston-Salem, Atlanta, etc. The ACC has never been weaker and they are going to get embarrassed by the Orangemen next season and beyond. UL and even Pitt and ND will do damage as well. Hopefully we can raise the level of this sorry conference back to where it belongs.

But lets focus on the game today for a bit. With JS out, and UL capable of playing a solid 2-3 zone,. there was a lot of pressure on BT to hit some jumpers early and force them to play man. SU has better athletes than UL, more size and is much better suited to playing against a man defense, as we have seen all season. Pitino panicked a bit I think, and played into JB's hands, playing a lot of man, where BT, MCW, CJ and JG were able to drive past their defenders quite easily for layups, short jumpers. FTs or easy dishes for layups by others.

MCW was also under a ton of pressure, having to play basically the whole game, getting pressured every possession. He was not perfect but I think for his experience level, he played a fine game on the road in a tough environment. I am impressed with the conditioning of Michael and Brandon. Both played a ton of minutes and had plenty left in the tank at the end of the game.

SU's zone was again very good. UL has a lot of strengths but some major weaknesses too. They have little outside shooting, which was a major problem against our zone. Smith and Siva are probably the fastest group of guards in the country, but they are both small and not very strong, and both were liabilities on defense against the taller and stronger Syracuse guards. Against a zone, Siva is almost incapable of scoring. Dieng was also pretty much a non factor on offense. I think Pitino was a fool to use him at the high post all game long, away from the basket, where we really didn't have to cover him and could play 5 on 4 against the Cardinals.

Russ Smith, despite his lack of size, is a terrific player, easily the best player on UL, and he singlehandled kept the Cards in the game. Smart,.tough, really aggressive going to the basket late. He is a handful.

Anyway, this was a great team effort. BMK played good defense and, as is his wont, got some big offensive rebounds for us that we really needed. CJ did his usual understated, solid job, getting big rebounds, playing good defense and hitting some big mid range jumpers.

Christmas had a quiet game. That happens with young big guys, especially on the road. Good to see DC2 play some real miuutes. That will help him,

Maybe the biggest X factor in the game though, was JG. Thought he played an amazing game, was all over the court, really aggressive and a huge matchup problem for UL. PFs are too slow to cover him and he is too big for SFs. Really killed UL's man today. Excellent rebounder and defender too. Might have been the best athlete on the court on a day when there were a bunch of excellent players out there. He is fun to watch. Loved the spin move and dunk attempt. The UL players looked shocked at how good he was, didn't they?

Speaking of shocked, I loved the reaction of the UL fans after the game. Complete shell shock. Stunned, couldn't move from their seats.

Big win that puts Syracuse in clear control of the Big East. What is SU's record in BE play now, have they won 29 out of the last 3o in regular season play? Pretty amazing to have such a sustained run of excellence against a conference that is consistently jacked with ranked teams. Enjoy it...this is something no team has done in the history of this conference.

I loved seeing the louisville fans stunned after the game. I was surprised that they booed their own team, however.

Very excited to build a streak against that team, after they seemed to always have an answer for us for so long. Great road win.

Good post, per usual, Tom.

I agree that Rak had a quiet game offensively but he did pull down 6 boards (5 on the defemsive end). Not surprised Cooney didn't get much of a run but he continues to hustle on D and hit a nice mid-range bucket on his only attempt from the floor. DC was also very active but this was one game where he wasn't going to shine. One surprising stat in a game where every point counted was that BMK and Grant were a combined 4-5 from the charity stripe!

I think they were actually booing the refs, not their team.

WHAT A WIN! I am still in stun mode. I don't even know what happened at the end. I did not feel confident at all with MCW handling the ball. So glad Triche got the duties. But MCW redeemed himself. This was a battle and a chess game. I was watching with 8 people and we all kept saying, "OH MY GOD, this is such a good game!"

Now I am going to watch the game again so I can see what happened without so much adrenaline in my system.

SU's zone was again very good. UL has a lot of strengths but some major weaknesses too. They have little outside shooting, which was a major problem against our zone. Smith and Siva are probably the fastest group of guards in the country, but they are both small and not very strong, and both were liabilities on defense against the taller and stronger Syracuse guards. Against a zone, Siva is almost incapable of scoring. Dieng was also pretty much a non factor on offense. I think Pitino was a fool to use him at the high post all game long, away from the basket, where we really didn't have to cover him and could play 5 on 4 against the Cardinals.

Russ Smith, despite his lack of size, is a terrific player, easily the best player on UL, and he singlehandled kept the Cards in the game. Smart,.tough, really aggressive going to the basket late. He is a handful.

I don't get why Blackshear doesn't play more. I had a long conversation with some Louisville fans at last years BET and they felt that he was one of the keys. At the very least he has some size to compete with some of our guys.

I felt that pain when they showed the Louisville fans at the end. I remember that same look on 8000 Cuse fans in Worcester after we lost to Vermont. It's been eight years but that pain is hard to remove.

Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention the refs. This was a tough game to ref as it was at a pretty good speed and lots of bumping. The refs did a good job dictating the pace of play and not calling ticky tack fouls, but I don't understand why they let Dieng camp out in the lane. It was like the 3 second rule was taken out of the rule books. I mentioned this in another thread and it was really bad. Also, to kind of tie in with this, I think Pitino does a phenomenal job getting his guys behind the zone. It led to a lot of easy baskets for Louisville. Needless to say it also led to a lot more playing time for BMK.

Great game between two well matched teams. Lots of great individual plays throughout the game. Glad we will not lose the series with UL when we move to the ACC.

As I watch this last round of Big East games for Syracuse, I can sense the fear and apprehension in Chapel Hill, Durham, Winston-Salem, Atlanta, etc. The ACC has never been weaker and they are going to get embarrassed by the Orangemen next season and beyond. UL and even Pitt and ND will do damage as well. Hopefully we can raise the level of this sorry conference back to where it belongs.

But lets focus on the game today for a bit. With JS out, and UL capable of playing a solid 2-3 zone,. there was a lot of pressure on BT to hit some jumpers early and force them to play man. SU has better athletes than UL, more size and is much better suited to playing against a man defense, as we have seen all season. Pitino panicked a bit I think, and played into JB's hands, playing a lot of man, where BT, MCW, CJ and JG were able to drive past their defenders quite easily for layups, short jumpers. FTs or easy dishes for layups by others.

MCW was also under a ton of pressure, having to play basically the whole game, getting pressured every possession. He was not perfect but I think for his experience level, he played a fine game on the road in a tough environment. I am impressed with the conditioning of Michael and Brandon. Both played a ton of minutes and had plenty left in the tank at the end of the game.

Anyway, this was a great team effort. BMK played good defense and, as is his wont, got some big offensive rebounds for us that we really needed. CJ did his usual understated, solid job, getting big rebounds, playing good defense and hitting some big mid range jumpers.

Christmas had a quiet game. That happens with young big guys, especially on the road. Good to see DC2 play some real miuutes. That will help him,

Maybe the biggest X factor in the game though, was JG. Thought he played an amazing game, was all over the court, really aggressive and a huge matchup problem for UL. PFs are too slow to cover him and he is too big for SFs. Really killed UL's man today. Excellent rebounder and defender too. Might have been the best athlete on the court on a day when there were a bunch of excellent players out there. He is fun to watch. Loved the spin move and dunk attempt. The UL players looked shocked at how good he was, didn't they?

Speaking of shocked, I loved the reaction of the UL fans after the game. Complete shell shock. Stunned, couldn't move from their seats.

Big win that puts Syracuse in clear control of the Big East. What is SU's record in BE play now, have they won 29 out of the last 3o in regular season play? Pretty amazing to have such a sustained run of excellence against a conference that is consistently jacked with ranked teams. Enjoy it...this is something no team has done in the history of this conference.

Not sure if I agree with all you said. Can't fault Pitano's offensive stradegy to much. Watching early, I thought how I'm glad that nobody in the ACC plays defense any where near the way tht UL does. As somebodye pointed out, when SU stopper turning the ball over they played pretty much even or better than UL.When they get to the ACC, they will tear it up. SU typcially has better atheletes. How ever, teams like Duke and UNC and maybe one or two others will have more basketball talent.

I never realized that the won 29 out of last 30. As always great info and thoughts Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked it up and it is 27-1 in our last 28 BE regular season games and 29-3 including BE tourney games.

But still amazing.

Cheers,
Neil

I felt that pain when they showed the Louisville fans at the end. I remember that same look on 8000 Cuse fans in Worcester after we lost to Vermont. It's been eight years but that pain is hard to remove.

TJ Sorrenstine (not sure if that's how you spell it)...I will never forget that name.

nothing better then a nice pot shot at the acc. love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom