My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Disappointing crowd size, maybe 25K actually there. 2 sections upstairs were reserved for the students; perhaps 25 students showed up there. They better watch out or they are going to lose more seats for next season.

The NA was sung by a junior VPA major who did had some weak moments but overall did a credible job. SU has ripped off an MSG promotion where two contestants compete during a timeout to make free throws. Good idea but about 10 years behind the times.

They have another promotion where a resident from University Apartments shoots 5 FTs. They get $250 off the rent for each FT made. Much to the consternation of the crowd, they let Mr Excitement do the player introductions again. Maybe the kid wanted too much money.

The big news was the return of Dirty. Big ovations when his player intro was played on the scoreboard, when he entered the game for the first time and whenever he scored. Must have made him feel good to feel the love. St Johns got a great break when Steve Lavin, their fine recruiting HC wwho struggles greatly on gameday, was not able to coach due to the death of his father. Condolences to the Lavin family

The Johnnies are normally a man defense team, but like a few BE teams, they moved to zone against the zone challenged SU half court offense. Their zone was uninspired. Looked they they tried to pack it in and take away the inside game for Syracuse but SU did a better job than normal against the 2-3 (I think part of this was the bad zone play) and got quality looks at the basket pretty much whenever they wanted. They had open 3s all game long, were able to drive and shoot mid range jumpers as needed, got some points out of the low post and had some success on the offensive boards as well.

Jamarr? Sampson, this years outstanding frosh forward, was really impressive. Had hit the mid range jumper, can drive and pull up and can rebound and finish down low as well. If there was any doubt, it is gone now He is a one and down kid.

The SU zone was clearly looking to take Harrison out of the game and it was largely effective here. He rarely got good looks from the 3 point circle, and Triche and MCW did a good job limiting his ability to get the ball into the paint. Greene hurt us a little here, but the Johnnies did not show much ability to hit 3s or finish down low (we had a bunch of blocks there).

MCW did a great job running the offense. Looks to me that the offense is a lot harder to defend when he is in pass first mode. It helped that JS was back...when he and Triche were in with MCW, the Johnnies had a devil of a time trying to cover the outside shooters and match up inside. MCW didn't have a big scoring game but hit an early 3 in both halves to help set the tone and open things up in the paint. He is sharing the ball noticeably more now and the MCW one on three show down the stretch was completely gone again today. Really encouraging stuff.

Thought Triche had another solid game offensively and defensively. He has largely eliminated the couple of baffling turnovers that plagued his game during his career and his greatly improved ability to finish in the paint and get offensive rebounds and points down low have improved his value.

CJ had a big game, scored a lot of points that were needed to end mini St Johns runs. He dominated the defensive boards early and man, he made some nice finishes around the basket to get by their big shot blocker. Pretty much everyone played well today, but I think Fair was the MVP today.

Christmas got into foul trouble again and while he had some good moments, including a nice power move early and a vicious block, he was not a major factor today. BMK played more than he has in a while and his uber aggressive defense, challenging Johnnies attacking the paint almost before they got in the lane, was effective. He still struggles for rebounds often, pinning them off his face, off the back of an opposing player, getting ricochets off his head, etc. but he found a way to get the job done and even had a couple of nice finishes on offense.

TC didn't play much, looked good on defense but had a pretty unremarkable game.

JG saw his playing time cut significantly. He played okay, might be deferring to his elders a bit more than he should but he was fine out there.

That leaves JS, who was pretty quiet in the first half but has one of his famous Dirty white hot moments in the 2nd half, when he went on a run that essentially put the game out of reach. Had to be great for him to do it against a bunch of kids he grew up playing with and against. Glad for him. Too bad this had to happen and cast such a big shadow on his final season with Syracuse.

I believe the home court winning streak is now 37 games. I believe that is a Big East record. Not so bad. The UConn game should be interesting. Might be the last time Syracuse plays in Connecticut ever. Might be the last time SU plays the Huskies in many years. I am sure they will be up for the game. It is the biggest game of their season by far.

Any chance of JB toying w this lineup...?

5. Grant
4. Fair
3. Southie
2. Triche
1. MCW

Only in MAJOR foul trouble, like if Baye and/ or Roc foul out.

Great post Tom, as usual.

My only comment is that we're one game removed from BT having a 3 What-turnover game. Hope he finishes out the season with more games like this one.

The Johnnies are normally a man defense team, but like a few BE teams, they moved to zone against the zone challenged SU half court offense. Their zone was uninspired. Looked they they tried to pack it in and take away the inside game for Syracuse but SU did a better job than normal against the 2-3 (I think part of this was the bad zone play) and got quality looks at the basket pretty much whenever they wanted. They had open 3s all game long, were able to drive and shoot mid range jumpers as needed, got some points out of the low post and had some success on the offensive boards as well.

Funny...in post game interview Boeheim commented how well we usually play against a 2-3.
I thought tht was odd.
We often have a surprisingly tough time against a defense that we should know inside out.
Today we didn't, for the most part.
As you point out, SJU's zone isn't very active...a far cry from the Orange Octopus with which we attack opponents.

was laughing out loud about the part where baye pins pins rebounds off his face and the back of peoples heads. totally agree.

once again the crowd was pretty pathetic. an announced 27k, where there was maybe 25k there on a nice Sunday after at 3pm? Where the hell is everyone? not to mention the people who go sit on there hands, or yell at me to sit down. the student section other then the first couple rows in the blue seats don't even pay attention to the game. i can't believe how little the amount of students was in the second level. i just don't get it? attendance has been getting worse and worse every year. hopefully we go to a smaller building when the new arena is built because unless its a huge game there is just a total lack of energy.

was laughing out loud about the part where baye pins pins rebounds off his face and the back of peoples heads. totally agree.

once again the crowd was pretty pathetic. an announced 27k, where there was maybe 25k there on a nice Sunday after at 3pm? Where the hell is everyone? not to mention the people who go sit on there hands, or yell at me to sit down. the student section other then the first couple rows in the blue seats don't even pay attention to the game. i can't believe how little the amount of students was in the second level. i just don't get it? attendance has been getting worse and worse every year. hopefully we go to a smaller building when the new arena is built because unless its a huge game there is just a total lack of energy.

I hope that never happens. The Carrier Dome is a unique venue in college hoops, and what we sacrifice in lackluster games like this we make up for when we're able to pack in 30K+ in big games.

The thought of moving to a 17K-21K arena doesn't excite me at all.

25k is still more than anyone else in college basketball will get. The crowd was fine.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

I hope that never happens. The Carrier Dome is a unique venue in college hoops, and what we sacrifice in lackluster games like this we make up for when we're able to pack in 30K+ in big games.

The thought of moving to a 17K-21K arena doesn't excite me at all.

Hell yes. ^^^

How many students go to the game? Students should get free tickets IMO.

I wouldn't expect more than 25,000 for a St. John's team that has been just so-so over the last few years. That's still a pretty good crowd.

25k is still more than anyone else in college basketball will get. The crowd was fine.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3
I have not brought this up in a while but here goes again.
The student section needs to be in the stands across from the players benches.
That entire section needs to be filled with students. The energy, fan interaction for the players and the way that would play on TV would be another big positive for SU playing in the Dome.
I don't want to hear it is about the money. Many other schools do the same thing and they don't even fill 15,000 in attendance. We have 20,ooo plus most of the time and we can have the kids sit there, add so much more presence, character and toughness for opposing teams to play there and it would be a huge draw for our student fans, athletes and prospective athletes coming in.

I have not brought this up in a while but here goes again.
The student section needs to be in the stands across from the players benches.
That entire section needs to be filled with students. The energy, fan interaction for the players and the way that would play on TV would be another big positive for SU playing in the Dome.
I don't want to hear it is about the money. Many other schools do the same thing and they don't even fill 15,000 in attendance. We have 20,ooo plus most of the time and we can have the kids sit there, add so much more presence, character and toughness for opposing teams to play there and it would be a huge draw for our student fans, athletes and prospective athletes coming in.
Used to be. When the dome first opened, I was a student and we sat across from where the bench is now (back then the bench was on the bleacher side and we sat behind them). It was electric!

Used to be. When the dome first opened, I was a student and we sat across from where the bench is now (back then the bench was on the bleacher side and we sat behind them). It was electric!

Problem is, those are desirable seats for the university to sell, so they moved the student section.

OK either side. Maybe that side is better. WIth all the jumping up and down they pobably should not be on the roll out bleachers.

Problem is, those are desirable seats for the university to sell, so they moved the student section.
that was my point about not wanting to hear it is about the money. Many other schools do the same thing and not charging for the money. It is about the experience for the student fan, the student athlete and the appearance and atmosphere it creates in the Dome. There is not a game that I watch, when the students are that close to the action that I don't say why don't we do that. We absolutely should do it!

not sure exactly but it was a poor student showing today

A large number of current Cuse students have never been to a football or basketball game. It's just the way it is.

that was my point about not wanting to hear it is about the money. Many other schools do the same thing and not charging for the money. It is about the experience for the student fan, the student athlete and the appearance and atmosphere it creates in the Dome. There is not a game that I watch, when the students are that close to the action that I don't say why don't we do that. We absolutely should do it!

You have a better chance of me rooting for Uconn

I'm not arguing with you that we should. The students sat in that area across from the benches for years, and unfortunately the reason that they were moved was all about $$$. Its too bad.

A large number of current Cuse students have never been to a football or basketball game. It's just the way it is.
I would bet that would change slowly but surely. The overall crowd continues to gray, me included.
I really believe we need to make this change...

I cringed in the National Anthem when she sang "pairuliss fight" instead of "perilllus fight." She was as far from perilous as I have ever heard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom