My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Nice writeup as usual. Yeah, Jakarr Sampson...beast. Definitely sounded dead in there on TV except for a couple of the dunks.

You have a better chance of me rooting for Uconn

So if the students get moved to better seats someday, will you go to a home game dressed in UCONN attire?

I thought St John's scored much easier with Keita in the middle vs. when RaXmas was

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Funny...in post game interview Boeheim commented how well we usually play against a 2-3.
I thought tht was odd.
We often have a surprisingly tough time against a defense that we should know inside out.
Today we didn't, for the most part.
As you point out, SJU's zone isn't very active...a far cry from the Orange Octopus with which we attack opponents.
He was likely being sarcastic. He has stated many times how bad we are against the zone.

I have not brought this up in a while but here goes again.
The student section needs to be in the stands across from the players benches.
That entire section needs to be filled with students. The energy, fan interaction for the players and the way that would play on TV would be another big positive for SU playing in the Dome.
I don't want to hear it is about the money. Many other schools do the same thing and they don't even fill 15,000 in attendance. We have 20,ooo plus most of the time and we can have the kids sit there, add so much more presence, character and toughness for opposing teams to play there and it would be a huge draw for our student fans, athletes and prospective athletes coming in.

When 1,600 students no-show for a Sunday afternoon Big East game, they're letting the administration know that they did the right thing by taking away their courtside seats years ago. Some diehards go to games. They get good seats. The rest of the student body could care less and there's no reason to reward them by giving them prime seats for the three games they want to attend and watching them sit unused for the rest of the season.

Those who say this was a good crowd or understandable given the Redmen's lack of success in recent years, no. This was the smallest weekend second-semester Big East crowd at the Dome in five four years. Very lackluster gate for a Sunday afternoon game with students on campus.

For those of us who were there, though, it was a lot of fun. Return to good basketball - who wouldn't love that?

I'm not arguing with you that we should. The students sat in that area across from the benches for years, and unfortunately the reason that they were moved was all about $$$. Its too bad.

I wouldn't say the move was just about money.

When 124 and 125 were empty for half the season, administrators decided there was no point in offering this privilege to students who didn't care to take advantage of it.

Reactions: cto
Any chance of JB toying w this lineup...?

5. Grant
4. Fair
3. Southie
2. Triche
1. MCW

We're just two term papers away from that lineup.

I'm not arguing with you that we should. The students sat in that area across from the benches for years, and unfortunately the reason that they were moved was all about $$$. Its too bad.

I thought the issueis that less attend now. When I got there in the salad days the frosh sat upstairs, the sophs behind the tin, and juniors and seniors sidecourt.

St Johns got a great break when Steve Lavin, their fine recruiting HC wwho struggles greatly on gameday, was not able to coach due to the death of his father.

Very classy comment - did you go to Duke by chance? Nice way to kick someone when there down and then offer condolences. What a joke. Lavin has single-handlely brought that program back from the brink of death.

I wanted to give credit to the administration and all the fans at the game who were so respectful marking the passing of Lavin's father before the game including the minute of silence. You could have heard a pin drop.

I wanted to give credit to the administration and all the fans at the game who were so respectful marking the passing of Lavin's father before the game including the minute of silence. You could have heard a pin drop.

Yes, good call. That was very nice.

I have not brought this up in a while but here goes again.
The student section needs to be in the stands across from the players benches.
That entire section needs to be filled with students. The energy, fan interaction for the players and the way that would play on TV would be another big positive for SU playing in the Dome.
I don't want to hear it is about the money. Many other schools do the same thing and they don't even fill 15,000 in attendance. We have 20,ooo plus most of the time and we can have the kids sit there, add so much more presence, character and toughness for opposing teams to play there and it would be a huge draw for our student fans, athletes and prospective athletes coming in.

The students used to sit there. But it was weak when they only showed up and packed those sections for the 1 or 2 biggest games. The rest of the games looked like ass especially on TV when the cameras pointed that way.

Now its too late. You can just tell that many donuts they are completely losing their seats. Maybe when a new facility is built.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

I wouldn't expect more than 25,000 for a St. John's team that has been just so-so over the last few years. That's still a pretty good crowd.
If this is the case, why did SU sign on to play them the next 2 years. It would seem that SU could get bigger draws in the dome going against Georgetown or UConn or even Villanova. Is it the games in MSG that makes that attractive? Or can we expect one or two that trio to also sign on?

If this is the case, why did SU sign on to play them the next 2 years. It would seem that SU could get bigger draws in the dome going against Georgetown or UConn or even Villanova. Is it the games in MSG that makes that attractive? Or can we expect one or two that trio to also sign on?

We didn't sign up for a series with St. John's for the Dome gate - anything over 23,000 for a December game would be gravy. SU just wants to maintain an old rivalry and keep the Garden presence.

But it wasn't a pretty good crowd for a second-semester weekend Big East game by any estimation. Smallest since Cincinnati in 2009. Smaller, even, than this year's Christmas break game against Villanova, a team playing below the level of the Johnnies. Attendance has historically taken a dive immediately after a successful year and a big talent exodus (1991, 1997, 2001, 2006) and this season is no exception.

I thought the issueis that less attend now. When I got there in the salad days the frosh sat upstairs, the sophs behind the tin, and juniors and seniors sidecourt.
i dont think the juniors got to sidecourt.

frosh upstairs and 1st time sophs upstairs in front.
sophs in back, juniors closer to floor.
seniors on side.

after typing that, i may have been way up on the side Jr year.

but thats way tooo many jack & cokes to say for sure. :noidea:

the side was the goal, and if your buddy didnt have them every year, he wasnt going to be in your group. no sabotaging my better seat movement.

Oh Lord

When 1,600 students no-show for a Sunday afternoon Big East game, they're letting the administration know that they did the right thing by taking away their courtside seats years ago. Some diehards go to games. They get good seats. The rest of the student body could care less and there's no reason to reward them by giving them prime seats for the three games they want to attend and watching them sit unused for the rest of the season.

Those who say this was a good crowd or understandable given the Redmen's lack of success in recent years, no. This was the smallest weekend second-semester Big East crowd at the Dome in five four years. Very lackluster gate for a Sunday afternoon game with students on campus.

For those of us who were there, though, it was a lot of fun. Return to good basketball - who wouldn't love that?

You wouldn't make that many "good" seats available to the students. Make them a commodity and reward the diehards. Monitor attendance....you have to have attended 90% of the previous year's home games to even be considered for them. You no-show more than once in a season and you lose them. All the more casual student fans get the second rate seats.

You wouldn't make that many "good" seats available to the students. Make them a commodity and reward the diehards. Monitor attendance....you have to have attended 90% of the previous year's home games to even be considered for them. You no-show more than once in a season and you lose them. All the more casual student fans get the second rate seats.

That's all reasonable, but I don't think there's too much interest in administering such a system. And there's the concern about the loss of seats, too (since students stand, one or two rows behind their section aren't sold).

The idea of moving the students back to the middle has been kicked around, but I don't think it will go anywhere. The thing that is probably going to happen is the students being switched to the other baseline so they're facing the opposing offense in the second half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom