My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
It started one evening in late August. In Ottawa of all places. At a hockey arena, where a Canadian school took a commanding 18 point lead over Syracuse early in the 2nd half. CJ Fair did not play well, was badly hampered by a sprained ankle and after re-injuring it, didn't play at all down the stretch.

Tyler Ennis was in the midst of a miserable game, TC was off shooting, Silent G, DC2, RC and BMK were non-factors offensively. Syracuse could not score and could not stop Carleton.

Then TE mutated into an AA guard, and he and JG, who also was great down the stretch, led SU to a remarkable comeback to force OT and eventually win the game.

Cornell, St Francis, BC, St Johns, Pitt I, Duke...whenever this team gets in trouble late in a game, they have shown the ability to go on a run and win the game. It took a 10-2 run to get the win last night.

Props to Pitt for playing hard and rebounding the ball with reckless abandon. They can't shoot the ball, their offense is largely dysfunctional, and their defense, while good, is not at the level it has been at when they were a dominant program (yes, that was a dig at Pitt and a reference to the fact that the NCAA had to change the rules to stop Jaime Dixon's trademark style of clutch and grab defense).

SU played poorly on offense again, which was largely due to good defense on the part of the Panthers. There weren't many good looks for SU on offense and Pitt did a great job on the defensive boards, as Syracuse was again not very successful getting offensive rebounds, something SU has done well most of the season.

Patterson does a nice job overplaying CJ's left, stays close enough to him to discourage him from taking 3s and is quick enough to prevent him from getting many drives to the basket. Robinson does a good job staying with Cooney, face guarding him, etc. etc.

SU didn't do a good job staying with Patterson, Pitt's only decent outside shooter, for the 1st half. They made some adjustments and took that away in the 2nd half, packed the zone inside the 3 point circle and let the other Pitt players have open jumpers. That kept RC in the game and eventually led to some key stops SU needed to have a chance to win, though SU's inability to get defensive rebounds was a severe handicap. JG has been very good rebounding most of the season but he has big problems against the physical Pitt players. As does CJ and RC, at least when rebounding.

Thought the refs were again bad, missed a lot of calls both ways, anticipated fouls on a couple of clean blocks by JG, let the Pitt players hack SU players on the rare occasions when they were able to secure a rebound, let Pitt get away with a let of shoving and bodying under the boards. The play where TE got a defensive rebound late, was hit, lost the ball and no call was made, the clean strip of Zanna with 5 seconds left that was somehow called a foul, the hack on RC when he had the ball under the basket late, these were all bad calls but the charge called on TC when he had his legs taken out by a dirty Pitt player and the ref somehow decided to call him for a foul was truly special. That might have been the worst call I have ever seen made for any sport since I have been watching sporting events. Awesome. Someone needs to have their ref license suspended for a while.

Anyway, I thought Pitt played a great game, did everything in their power to win but sometimes you play well and lose, especially when you are up against something magical, something special. It is a shame someone has to lose a game like this. Thought Dixon's decision to call a TO with 4.4 seconds left, when SU had no TOs left and no chance to set up a play, was one of the worst coaching decisions I have seen. He should discipline himself by shaving his head and growing a beard. Would make him a lot more presentable to the general public as well.

If there was any doubt whether CJ was going to be the ACC POY, it should be gone now. The interesting question is, will Ennis beat out Parker for ACC ROY?

Tom,
Great take as always.
As much as Ennis should get ROY, if CJ gets the POY, the league isnt going to give SU a sweep

Thought the refs were again bad, missed a lot of calls both ways, anticipated fouls on a couple of clean blocks by JG, let the Pitt players hack SU players on the rare occasions when they were able to secure a rebound, let Pitt get away with a let of shoving and bodying under the boards. The play where TE got a defensive rebound late, was hit, lost the ball and no call was made, the clean strip of Zanna with 5 seconds left that was somehow called a foul, the hack on RC when he had the ball under the basket late, these were all bad calls but the charge called on TC when he had his legs taken out by a dirty Pitt player and the ref somehow decided to call him for a foul was truly special. That might have been the worst call I have ever seen made for any sport since I have been watching sporting events. Awesome. Someone needs to have their ref license suspended for a while.

you did your best to try to be politically correct... but it just wasnt possible.

The refs were awful last night and it almost cost us the game. Thank the Orange God's for the Fair/Ennis heroics.

(FYI: You left off the Zanna tackle of Fair)

Tom,
Great take as always.
As much as Ennis should get ROY, if CJ gets the POY, the league isnt going to give SU a sweep

DIdnt even think of this, but you're right. We'll clearly be fighting an uphill battle against the refs/league until we lose a game.

Great post as usual Tom, thanks.

Will refs EVER call the blocking at the top of the key by these guys that are supposedly setting picks? I'm starting to think that whoever (GMac) is teaching these guys how to fight through these things should talk to Shafer and staff on how well they get around these blocks.

By the way folks...after this there is no doubt that we will lose one of the assistant coaches to an HC job somewhere.

Does God play favorites? Of course not! Did All That Is decide to float Tyler's ball into that basket to make up for all those stupid calls? Don't think so. But doesn't it seem like we are a team of Destiny?

Here is my prediction: after this game, people all around the country are going to hop on the SU bandwagon. People who normally would be cheering for us to lose are now going to cheer for us to win. I've already had people write to me asking when the next game is. I believe much of college basketball watchers will now start rooting for The Phenomenon. (Except the ACC, of course.) And you know what? I'm going to start rooting for Wichita State! Why not? This is a season of magic!

Tyler Ennis is becoming a living legend.

Tom, I loved how you began your post and every single thing you said. Great write up!

Here is my prediction: after this game, people all around the country are going to hop on the SU bandwagon. People who normally would be cheering for us to lose are now going to cheer for us to win. I've already had people write to me asking when the next game is. I believe much of college basketball watchers will now start rooting for The Phenomenon. (Except the ACC, of course.) And you know what? I'm going to start rooting for Wichita State! Why not? This is a season of magic!
That, or hate us even more than they already do. I predict it's 50/50.

I agree with you to a point. It depends on how this is pushed to the public. The ones that already hate us...GT/UConn/Kentucky+ will have their hate filled with envy but the fence/beginner fans will like Cuse a bit more as long as this doesn't become Tebowish.

Great writeup as usual. Michael Stephens is worse than Jim Burr, Tim Higgins, and Karl Hess combined. Worst officiated game I've ever seen last night. Like Michigan and Ohio State combined bad.

As I was watching the replay on DVR last night, I decided that if we had lost this game, I would have pinned it on the refs for the very reasons you stated. I also concluded that, given the outcome, the refs better hire some body guards because the Mob will be after them for failing to live up to their part of the betting game (as covered in another thread regarding broken legs).

does ACC Frosh of the Year take into account the entire season or just ACC games?

Back in 2009-2010, after we lost to LeMoyne, some ESPN jerk was trying to convince the audience that that game should somehow count in our record and ranking. So...I'm declaring that we are actually a 30-0 teams. Those games in Canada were no gimmies and I think they, (and thus the other exhibitions) should count.

We've seen this team win THIRTY games in row. Three-Oh!

Last edited:
Patterson seems out of shape. He ran out of gas at the end. Dixon took him out for a while but the Pitt O was so bad he had to go back in. He had a slow close out on CJ that allowed CJ to hit that 3. Even ESPN pointed that out. Then he played bad D on CJ's next shot. Also notice he did not take any 3 pt shots late, just like the game in the Dome. You would think that after those couple of long 3's he hit (and again like the 3 in a row in the Dome), he would take more. I have a felling that his legs were gone and he knew he couldn't get them under himself for a good shot. His drives seem weaker too.

I believe people enjoy riding a wave of positive energy. People who were neutral about us will now become positive. But Duke fans will be hating us with a white hot hate.

Nice write-up as always. I wouldn't go so far as to say the offense was "poor" last night though. 58 points on 54 possessions is pretty efficient.

Great job, Tom. I send your My Takes to people who don't even frequent this board. They adore you.

And to think I was there, with my wife, in that tiny, steamy gym in Montreal when this all began.

Magical.

TBCuse11 said:
I really think Ennis will be ACC POY, and Parker will be ACC ROY.

If Ennis is POY wouldn't that automatically make him the ROY too?

If Ennis is POY wouldn't that automatically make him the ROY too?

Yes, how can you have a freshman as POY and another freshman beats him out for ROY? :crazy::noidea::confused:

It started one evening in late August. In Ottawa of all places. At a hockey arena, where a Canadian school took a commanding 18 point lead over Syracuse early in the 2nd half. CJ Fair did not play well, was badly hampered by a sprained ankle and after re-injuring it, didn't play at all down the stretch.

Tyler Ennis was in the midst of a miserable game, TC was off shooting, Silent G, DC2, RC and BMK were non-factors offensively. Syracuse could not score and could not stop Carleton.

Then TE mutated into an AA guard, and he and JG, who also was great down the stretch, led SU to a remarkable comeback to force OT and eventually win the game.

Cornell, St Francis, BC, St Johns, Pitt I, Duke...whenever this team gets in trouble late in a game, they have shown the ability to go on a run and win the game. It took a 10-2 run to get the win last night.

Props to Pitt for playing hard and rebounding the ball with reckless abandon. They can't shoot the ball, their offense is largely dysfunctional, and their defense, while good, is not at the level it has been at when they were a dominant program (yes, that was a dig at Pitt and a reference to the fact that the NCAA had to change the rules to stop Jaime Dixon's trademark style of clutch and grab defense).

SU played poorly on offense again, which was largely due to good defense on the part of the Panthers. There weren't many good looks for SU on offense and Pitt did a great job on the defensive boards, as Syracuse was again not very successful getting offensive rebounds, something SU has done well most of the season.

Patterson does a nice job overplaying CJ's left, stays close enough to him to discourage him from taking 3s and is quick enough to prevent him from getting many drives to the basket. Robinson does a good job staying with Cooney, face guarding him, etc. etc.

SU didn't do a good job staying with Patterson, Pitt's only decent outside shooter, for the 1st half. They made some adjustments and took that away in the 2nd half, packed the zone inside the 3 point circle and let the other Pitt players have open jumpers. That kept RC in the game and eventually led to some key stops SU needed to have a chance to win, though SU's inability to get defensive rebounds was a severe handicap. JG has been very good rebounding most of the season but he has big problems against the physical Pitt players. As does CJ and RC, at least when rebounding.

Anyway, I thought Pitt played a great game, did everything in their power to win but sometimes you play well and lose, especially when you are up against something magical, something special. It is a shame someone has to lose a game like this. Thought Dixon's decision to call a TO with 4.4 seconds left, when SU had no TOs left and no chance to set up a play, was one of the worst coaching decisions I have seen. He should discipline himself by shaving his head and growing a beard. Would make him a lot more presentable to the general public as well.

If there was any doubt whether CJ was going to be the ACC POY, it should be gone now. The interesting question is, will Ennis beat out Parker for ACC ROY?

A Few Thought's : Canadian Team beat wisconsin and Pitt Lost a 11 ppg Scorer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom