My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Sounded like there were a lot of Syracuse fans in the crowd. Props to the UVa fans for showing up and being loud. It is never enjoyable to watch opposing fans reacting to a big win over Syracuse but if it has to happen, I am glad it was against Virginia, a program that has struggled so much for so long.

I thought the Hoos played a game for the ages; they were terrific on defense, they executed on offense very nicely and they really hurt us on the boards. They played extremely hard, shared the ball beautifully and deserved to win the game. Great job UVa, congratulations the (apparently non-existent) ACC regular season title. You earned it.

Thought TE and CJ were great. RC played okay at times, so did TC. Silent G was pretty silent and did not appear to want any part of the real estate near the backboard. BMK has had many good games in his career but unfortunately might have played his worst today.

Without JG, and DC2, our top 2 rebounders, this is a small team that does not rebound the ball well at all. We were absolutely abused on the boards by a team playing a 3 guard lineup with 1 center and 1 forward. I hope Jerami gets better soon...would much rather sit him the rest of the regular season and have a chance of having him 100% for the ACC and NCAA tournaments than to see him keep coming out, being completely ineffective and re-injuring himself. I hope the staff is tough enough to make that call, even if it results in a 3 game losing streak to end the regular season.

Tom, you did not mention the game's highlight (at least for me).

UVA had 12 (TWELVE!) tubas in their pep band. We don't even have 12 in our marching band.

It was the tubas that did us in. They were loud, authoritative, full of energy and gusto... and they were right next to the SU bench. Distracting, I am sure. I suspect they were part of Tony Bennett's game plan.

Not sure you nailed it.

VA shot 50% from the field, us under 36. Outrebounded by 10.

Cooney had as many rebounds as G and shot 33%. He is sucking wind. He has got the game to be more of a contributor, but he'd turning into a Greg Monroe in terms of effectiveness.

UVA kicked our butt. Period.

This team peaked February 1. Time to get its head out of its ass. Based on last year, anything is possible (outside Grant making a shot beyond 6'.) Hopefully, he gets back into health for the real seasons, Cooney regains his form from December and this team plays like a premium brand again. Enough is enough.

Grant being out effects everything. E driving to the hoop, Cooney getting some space double on Fair vs single zone is not half as long on the baseline, rebounds etc... You cant have a lottory pick go out and expect to be the same team. Kid is an elite talent and with him hurting so are we

Honestly felt like Ennis/cooney never even looked G's way. He was open several times at least on the perimeter and a guard didn't turn his head towards G's direction.

My fear is our offense, especially without grant, is turning 1 dimensional.

Virginia played about as well as a team can in the second half.

They also found the way to beat Boeheims zone. Have 1 to 2 guys plant in the 3 second area for anywhere to 4-10 seconds and rebound or get passes from teammates. Then, once SU has to pack it in, hit easier jump shots.

Honestly felt like Ennis/cooney never even looked G's way. He was open several times at least on the perimeter and a guard didn't turn his head towards G's direction.

Your man crush on G is getting creepy.

Sounded like there were a lot of Syracuse fans in the crowd. Props to the UVa fans for showing up and being loud. It is never enjoyable to watch opposing fans reacting to a big win over Syracuse but if it has to happen, I am glad it was against Virginia, a program that has struggled so much for so long.

I thought the Hoos played a game for the ages; they were terrific on defense, they executed on offense very nicely and they really hurt us on the boards. They played extremely hard, shared the ball beautifully and deserved to win the game. Great job UVa, congratulations the (apparently non-existent) ACC regular season title. You earned it.

Thought TE and CJ were great. RC played okay at times, so did TC. Silent G was pretty silent and did not appear to want any part of the real estate near the backboard. BMK has had many good games in his career but unfortunately might have played his worst today.

Without JG, and DC2, our top 2 rebounders, this is a small team that does not rebound the ball well at all. We were absolutely abused on the boards by a team playing a 3 guard lineup with 1 center and 1 forward. I hope Jerami gets better soon...would much rather sit him the rest of the regular season and have a chance of having him 100% for the ACC and NCAA tournaments than to see him keep coming out, being completely ineffective and re-injuring himself. I hope the staff is tough enough to make that call, even if it results in a 3 game losing streak to end the regular season.
Its fine to sit grant the rest of the season but gbinje and roberson better play more mins, much more. Ennis and CJ need some rest. They are playing nothing like how they played in dec and jan. If CJ and Ennis arent playing better by March Madness, we could struggle in the tourney.

I'm not sure SU's offense has been even one-dimensional over the past few weeks.

Your man crush on G is getting creepy.
It's not a man crush. He's a good player and hits shots.

I'm tired of us relying on a bad look from Cooney, a bad look from Fair or Tyler driving and throwing up some circus shot to hopefully save our a$$.

Sometimes you gotta hit the other open guys to open up the defense.

Fair, Cooney and Ennis just were not open last night.

I'm tired of us relying on a bad look from Cooney, a bad look from Fair or Tyler driving and throwing up some circus shot to hopefully save our

It's so... unsettling... to see Ron Burgundy arguing with... himself.

TrueBlue's posts seem to have a bit more "oomph" to them... likely because his avatar features a close(r)-up of the comedically intimidating Mr. Burgundy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's so... unsettling... to see Ron Burgundy arguing with... himself.

TrueBlue's posts seem to have a bit more "oomph" to them... likely because his avatar features a close(r)-up of the comedically intimidating Mr. Burgundy.

I like my avatar

How many 2nd chance points did UVA get? That big stiff had a career game last night, then again, so could I if no one blocked me out under the basket. Time to go back to Blockout 101 class. Is it just me or do X and BMK get called for more touch fouls than any other C in the ACC? Other Cs seem to foul hard and not get called. Not blaming the loss on refs at all. I just got the impression it was another "punishment" game for JBs hissyfit @ Duke.

Grant needs to sit until he is healthy, win or not. We have lost the #1 seed as of now so who cares? We don't have the bench experience we will need if Grant doesn't come around. This week is the perfect time for Roberson and Patterson to get meeningful game experience. If somebody else gets hurt we are in real trouble.

Honestly thought BMK had one of his worst games in years.

I'm tired of us relying on a bad look from Cooney, a bad look from Fair or Tyler driving and throwing up some circus shot to hopefully save our a$$.

He "hits shots"? He shoots under 37% from the field.

He "hits shots"? He shoots under 37% from the field.
over 40 from 3

To be truthful, any added threat from three would benefit this offense immediately.

I'd rather Gbinije take an open three than Ennis throw up some of the desperate circus shots he's thrown up to save the offense, or Cooney taking a three 10 feet off the line with a man or two contesting...

If a man's open, pass to him. If our offense is good at anything its making 35 seconds seem like 3.

over 40 from 3

how much better than Cooney is that?

If Gbinije is shooting over 40% from 3-pt land, that means he's really struggling from inside the arc.

What's his FT%?

If Gbinije is shooting over 40% from 3-pt land, that means he's really struggling from inside the arc.

What's his FT%?

I'm not arguing that Gbinije is a better shooter, clearly Cooney is.

I'm arguing that if Gbinije is open around the perimeter then he should get the look. I saw several times against UVA G's man leave him open around the arc and Ennis did not look even to that side of the court.

Of course the offense should focus more on our scorers...Cj, Tyler and Trevor. Unfortunately, they got very, very few open looks against UVA.

What's his FT%?
Also...

Cooney is 47 of 54 from the line and shooting 87%

Gbinije is 30 of 44 shooting 68%

Cooney's played over 500 minutes more than Gbinije http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/183/syracuse-orange

So if anything it's troubling that Cooney has not gotten more opportunities seeing as he is by far and away our best FT shooter and is athletic enough to drive and draw fouls. Cooney is also arguably a better finished than Gbinije. I wish Cooney would put the ball on the floor more, as does JB.

Tom, you did not mention the game's highlight (at least for me).

UVA had 12 (TWELVE!) tubas in their pep band. We don't even have 12 in our marching band.

It was the tubas that did us in. They were loud, authoritative, full of energy and gusto... and they were right next to the SU bench. Distracting, I am sure. I suspect they were part of Tony Bennett's game plan.

Curses!!! Our secret weapon has been revealed. Back to the drawing board (or is it a computer-assisted design system now?)!!

Reactions: cto
Hoo's That said:
Curses!!! Our secret weapon has been revealed. Back to the drawing board (or is it a computer-assisted design system now?)!!

Inside joke that's way over your head, neighbor.

cto said:
Tom, you did not mention the game's highlight (at least for me). UVA had 12 (TWELVE!) tubas in their pep band. We don't even have 12 in our marching band. It was the tubas that did us in. They were loud, authoritative, full of energy and gusto... and they were right next to the SU bench. Distracting, I am sure. I suspect they were part of Tony Bennett's game plan.

I could not conduct a proper tuba count watching on TV. Brilliant strategy. A major tuba deficit is almost impossible to overcome. Damn those sousaphonic Hoos!

Also...

Cooney is 47 of 54 from the line and shooting 87%

Gbinije is 30 of 44 shooting 68%

Cooney's played over 500 minutes more than Gbinije http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/183/syracuse-orange

So if anything it's troubling that Cooney has not gotten more opportunities seeing as he is by far and away our best FT shooter and is athletic enough to drive and draw fouls. Cooney is also arguably a better finished than Gbinije. I wish Cooney would put the ball on the floor more, as does JB.

Agree with that. We've done a poor job of making the most of mediocre offense by getting guys to the line these past few years.

When you have a Triche or a Cooney on your team, he'd darn well better be taking 6 free throws per game.

Easier said than done, of course, given the caprice of the officials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom