My take... | Syracusefan.com

My take...

Why do I have to create a poll to post...

• Total voters

Jake

Mod
Just some thoughts on the team.

My greatest concern is our ability to score, I think there are better offensive players in the second unit and I worry that we will be getting off to slow starts and playing from behind too much against good teams.

Not liking the intermittant effort from KJo so far. Doesn't seem to be giving 100% effort on every play. Scoop appears to be Scoop...not what I was hoping for. Triche looks lost. He has been sooo sloppy handling the ball, its disturbing.

Love Dion at this point. He's going to be handful to handle, but he gets OPEN better than any other guard on the team. If he can continue to find the open spots he can be effective, he's just not a great shooter when being contested.
MCW is going through some growing pains right now, but he can affect a game so many ways through defensive, rebouding, passing etc. He a five tool player that needs seasoning. Very exciting to have him.

Between CJ, KJO and James, we're going to be able to find points and rebounds at the 3. All three are sooo completely different though. James is going to find that defenders will crowd him and dare him to put the ball on the floor. Very important for him to move without the ball and find open space. Love CJ's new range. Huge.

And the bigs have been very good defensively...which really worried me last year. Keita, Melo and even Xmas have been very good defending the tin. Obviously the difference in Melo has been conditioning and a bit better understanding the speed of the game. His improvement is the most important cog to this year's team.

I just worry that Triche, Scoop and KJO aren't the most dynamic trio to pari with Xmas and Melo. I think we'll find the need to mix in Dion and CJ early everygame and then supplement them with MCW and James depending on the opponent.

I like your post.

I also like you, Jake.

But are you or your post so important that it needed to be tacked at the top of the board? ;)

Glitch in the system. For some reason I cannot create a post on this board without a poll being attached. And when you create a post, it gets automatically tacked. PITA.

I have the same problem. I sent an e-mail to 'help' and received no answer as to why.

I worry about our half-court offense and like you said who will score the points. Finding out who has the hot hand each game with so much talent may put us in the hole in a number of games.

Was very pleased that this team seemed to be much more dedicated to defense. Lots of floor burns ala Hopkins style and if that mindset continues with the team working hard on D, we can survive some offensive droughts until we hopefully see more consistency. Loved Dion's statement that he's realized that if he works hard and concentrates on defense that the offense will come. If the whole team buys in - it should be a fun year.

If Dion continues to play adequate defense, paired with his offense, it will be hard to keep him on the bench.

backcourt is pretty much where we left off last year but so far i like the development i'm seeing from fab,moose and the addition of xmas underneath. takes the sting off losing rick jackson somewhat.

I have contacted the people who wrote the script. They are looking into it, but have not heard of this as an issue before. Have you tried clearing your cache?

Try posting now.

Just some thoughts on the team.

My greatest concern is our ability to score, I think there are better offensive players in the second unit and I worry that we will be getting off to slow starts and playing from behind too much against good teams.

Not liking the intermittant effort from KJo so far. Doesn't seem to be giving 100% effort on every play. Scoop appears to be Scoop...not what I was hoping for. Triche looks lost. He has been sooo sloppy handling the ball, its disturbing.

Love Dion at this point. He's going to be handful to handle, but he gets OPEN better than any other guard on the team. If he can continue to find the open spots he can be effective, he's just not a great shooter when being contested.
MCW is going through some growing pains right now, but he can affect a game so many ways through defensive, rebouding, passing etc. He a five tool player that needs seasoning. Very exciting to have him.

Between CJ, KJO and James, we're going to be able to find points and rebounds at the 3. All three are sooo completely different though. James is going to find that defenders will crowd him and dare him to put the ball on the floor. Very important for him to move without the ball and find open space. Love CJ's new range. Huge.

And the bigs have been very good defensively...which really worried me last year. Keita, Melo and even Xmas have been very good defending the tin. Obviously the difference in Melo has been conditioning and a bit better understanding the speed of the game. His improvement is the most important cog to this year's team.

I just worry that Triche, Scoop and KJO aren't the most dynamic trio to pari with Xmas and Melo. I think we'll find the need to mix in Dion and CJ early everygame and then supplement them with MCW and James depending on the opponent.

Glitch in the system. For some reason I cannot create a post on this board without a poll being attached. And when you create a post, it gets automatically tacked. PITA.

If you click the compatability view up top on your browser it should fix that temporarilly. I've had the same problem on my home computer on which I'm running internet explorer. Once I click over to the compatablity view I can then post without having the poll error message come up. The error message states that I cannot post a poll without also making a selection as to the choices for the poll. Bizarreoworld for sure.

I'm not as fed up with Triche as others are here, but I can picture myself pushing for Waiters to start by mid-season if he doesn't get it together. It's not that Triche has been a liability, he just hasn't been consistent for more than a month at a time.

What I liked most about Waiters was his shot selection. He didn't fall in love with the three and backed off it once it stopped dropping and when it would have been contested.

I'll have more on the blog tomorrow, but the interior defense has a chance to be beastly.

If Dion continues to play adequate defense, paired with his offense, it will be hard to keep him on the bench.
Is Waiters Defense adequate? I'm just not sure. I will say, he continually had Fordham's smaller, quicker guard blow right past him, causing Melo & Baye to have to move up to challenge the penetration. I didn't see this happening to Scoop, Triche or MCW. And then he tends to try and poke the ball from behind, picking up fouls.

I think he needs to work on his positioning and lateral quickness, at least on the defensive end. But that is just my poor, uneducated eye.

Like him on offense, not so much on defense. Hope it improves fast enough, throughout the season.

This offense is a look to drive get stopped then look to pass. This is a big reason why they struggle and instead of movement and pass the ball. Once the drive is stopped the defense over plays the lanes and SU struggles. The key to me is finding someone offensively that can get the ball in the middle 12 to 15 ft out and can score or dump low or hit a an open wing. If Fab can be that guy it would make a world of difference.

Posted this in another thread but I could see the Waiters/Triche PT issue playing out much like the Edelin/Duany tandem in 02-03. Duany was still an integral part of the team but Edelin began to steal more and more minutes as the year went on with Duany getting extended minutes in certain matchups.

I also worry about scoring. There are going to be droughts often for this team -- at least as long as Melo/Triche/Xmas are all single-digit scorers and on the floor together at the same time.

I'm not sure about KJ's effort but I know I do like him as a player so hopefully it's more to do with a bit of conditioning than anything else.

Love Keita and I maintain that I think Southerland could -- could -- play an integral role on this team this year. Those are the two that very few talk about but I love keita's potential in this defense and Southerland's skill set on offense. Good point about him needing to move with the ball.

Is Waiters Defense adequate? I'm just not sure. I will say, he continually had Fordham's smaller, quicker guard blow right past him, causing Melo & Baye to have to move up to challenge the penetration. I didn't see this happening to Scoop, Triche or MCW. And then he tends to try and poke the ball from behind, picking up fouls.

I think he needs to work on his positioning and lateral quickness, at least on the defensive end. But that is just my poor, uneducated eye.

Like him on offense, not so much on defense. Hope it improves fast enough, throughout the season.

No, that seems like a focused and educated eye.

Waiters is clearly trying hard on defense, but he's playing like one could expect of someone who's unexperienced and spent the first decade of his basketball life playing little defense at all, much less an active 2-3.

He's spending a bit of time looking and reaching, he gets caught way out of position at times, and he can be slow to move his feet. They can mask him a little as the up guard, with one of the other three guys defending the high post, but Dion's going to have some rough moments at times. He's a work in progress. If his commitment is really what he says it is, though, he'll become a very good defender with more game experience. He's got good hand-eye coordination; the problem is that his eye often isn't where it should be.
(To answer the first line, though, yeah, his defense is adequate. If Syracuse has designs on a Final Four, though, each of those four guards needs his defense to be exceptional.)

If you click the compatability view up top on your browser it should fix that temporarilly. I've had the same problem on my home computer on which I'm running internet explorer. Once I click over to the compatablity view I can then post without having the poll error message come up. The error message states that I cannot post a poll without also making a selection as to the choices for the poll. Bizarreoworld for sure.

This fixed mine. Thanks for the tip.

I also might worry about Dion getting complacent if he were to be named as a starter. It shouldn't keep the coaching staff from making the move if he's earned it, but I'm not convinced that all his makeup/attitude issues are behind him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom