my two cents | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
The day started with nervous anticipation. Like every opener since I have been about 6 the night before was filled with my dad and our friends talking about the upcoming season. All of were positive but there wasn't a person who felt as if we would handle Ville in the fashion that we did. I'd say out of our group we were even on who would win and if truth be told vs our love of SU the majority would have picked the Cardinals.

Game day was long. Long like the last day of a trip that had a late flight. I got out on the lake for a spell and went for a long walk with Dad more talk about the game but mostly about all of the great games and wonderful experiences that we shared as a result of Syracuse sports.

Finally, game time. Tailgate at Manely with some good friends and then off to the JMA. As Tom said the ticket situation needs to be fixed. Once inside I was encouraged by the students. Wow is all I can say. Not sure if having something taken away as a result of Covid is the true reason for the renewed interest or the work that the admin has put in. Regardless it felt like old times. Almost like Manley basketball times which for me was the best student section period in my history with SU sports.

As to the game here are my thoughts. Random as usual but hot off the press as I just watched the game again.

Shrader won this game. Flat out took the game over. Without his leadership and on field plays we most likely don't win. If you get a chance watch the game again and keep track of the plays that he made that were all winning plays. His vision and quick decision-making skills are exceptional. When he sees it, he takes it. And he is almost always correct. Time after time he made something out of nothing. In my opinion this was one of the best QB performances or better put one of the best leadership performances that I have seen on the Hill. Kids a gamer and is only going to get better.

The D is like a pack of wolves. Fast fearless and very ferocious These guys play fast, and they play hard. Coach White has done an amazing job with them and as far as D coordinators go, he has to be one of our best ever. The guy is all about energy and effort and it shows in his players. Strategically he had Ville figured out. One thing that I noticed was his rotation of players. Especially along the front. It was basically 3 or less plays and guys were subbed out. His rotation kept the front fresh and also didn't allow the Oline of Ville to get a book on any one player. Brilliant. Guys is a super star in the making and won't be here for long so let's enjoy it while we can.

45 love him. Not that athletic, not overly big or strong but simply an animal. The kind of guy that if you were in college and got into a fight with him you knew that you were in for a battle. He was something all energy and got every ounce out of his ability.

Our back is strong. Fast deep and they know it. Watch the game and watch our guys dishing the talk out. Swag with a capital S. After almost every play our guys were in their ears talking major SH... I love to see this swag. It's been missing and it's great to see it back.

WRs have talent and will improve. Wish Courtney was targeted more. Same with 2 both are ballers. 7 has the best hands on the team and 19 has the most upside out of the group. Thought Mang and 88 played well and want to see both getting some targets in the future.

Carlos. only two snaps but he is a pro. Guy has it. Hes as cool as the other side of the pillow and the one throw he had looked like it was shot out of a cannon. Again, two snaps but based on warmups and those two snaps Hes got it.

91 is back and great to see. completely different Cat. Had to get one in for the big guy. The kid from down under is ok but we are still HS grade at the position. Coverage teams were exceptional. Disciplined and physical.

Last but not least Dr. Bob. Seriously have we ever had anyone come in and in 6 months make this big of a difference. Our O looked like a completely new team. Sure, we had some confusion with sets but other than that personal changes were smooth, and he was always a few plays ahead of the action on the field. He is an exceptional coach and it showed yesterday. I can't wait to see what he is going to do as the year progresses and more importantly next season. The guys is special and is the missing link to our resurrection. The Gods were smiling on us when his old boss was let go.

My Dad who turns 90 in a few months is going on 50. Still rows and sails, swims most days and does all of the yard work and chores that he did when I was growing up.

I savor my time with him, and SU football is and has always been special for us. Yesterday was pure magic. Sitting at the camp last night after the game in the middle of the night with my father going over every play like two guys who just both shot a great round of golf.

I don't know how the season is going to end but for me it sure as heck couldn't have started any better.

Love this time of the year, love this community.

Go Orange!

LOVE your relationship with your dad and how you are savoring every moment. They will make memories that will last the rest of your life.
Thx we are very tight. My Mom died a few years ago , early covid and she was also a huge fan. More basketball than football. Dad used to be pretty dialed in to the program. He is a huge Coach P fan and got to know him. Bottom line, some of my best times with my Dad have revolved around SU games. I plan on going to all of the home games with him and our group this year.

The day started with nervous anticipation. Like every opener since I have been about 6 the night before was filled with my dad and our friends talking about the upcoming season. All of were positive but there wasn't a person who felt as if we would handle Ville in the fashion that we did. I'd say out of our group we were even on who would win and if truth be told vs our love of SU the majority would have picked the Cardinals.

Game day was long. Long like the last day of a trip that had a late flight. I got out on the lake for a spell and went for a long walk with Dad more talk about the game but mostly about all of the great games and wonderful experiences that we shared as a result of Syracuse sports.

Finally, game time. Tailgate at Manely with some good friends and then off to the JMA. As Tom said the ticket situation needs to be fixed. Once inside I was encouraged by the students. Wow is all I can say. Not sure if having something taken away as a result of Covid is the true reason for the renewed interest or the work that the admin has put in. Regardless it felt like old times. Almost like Manley basketball times which for me was the best student section period in my history with SU sports.

As to the game here are my thoughts. Random as usual but hot off the press as I just watched the game again.

Shrader won this game. Flat out took the game over. Without his leadership and on field plays we most likely don't win. If you get a chance watch the game again and keep track of the plays that he made that were all winning plays. His vision and quick decision-making skills are exceptional. When he sees it, he takes it. And he is almost always correct. Time after time he made something out of nothing. In my opinion this was one of the best QB performances or better put one of the best leadership performances that I have seen on the Hill. Kids a gamer and is only going to get better.

The D is like a pack of wolves. Fast fearless and very ferocious These guys play fast, and they play hard. Coach White has done an amazing job with them and as far as D coordinators go, he has to be one of our best ever. The guy is all about energy and effort and it shows in his players. Strategically he had Ville figured out. One thing that I noticed was his rotation of players. Especially along the front. It was basically 3 or less plays and guys were subbed out. His rotation kept the front fresh and also didn't allow the Oline of Ville to get a book on any one player. Brilliant. Guys is a super star in the making and won't be here for long so let's enjoy it while we can.

45 love him. Not that athletic, not overly big or strong but simply an animal. The kind of guy that if you were in college and got into a fight with him you knew that you were in for a battle. He was something all energy and got every ounce out of his ability.

Our back is strong. Fast deep and they know it. Watch the game and watch our guys dishing the talk out. Swag with a capital S. After almost every play our guys were in their ears talking major SH... I love to see this swag. It's been missing and it's great to see it back.

WRs have talent and will improve. Wish Courtney was targeted more. Same with 2 both are ballers. 7 has the best hands on the team and 19 has the most upside out of the group. Thought Mang and 88 played well and want to see both getting some targets in the future.

Carlos. only two snaps but he is a pro. Guy has it. Hes as cool as the other side of the pillow and the one throw he had looked like it was shot out of a cannon. Again, two snaps but based on warmups and those two snaps Hes got it.

91 is back and great to see. completely different Cat. Had to get one in for the big guy. The kid from down under is ok but we are still HS grade at the position. Coverage teams were exceptional. Disciplined and physical.

Last but not least Dr. Bob. Seriously have we ever had anyone come in and in 6 months make this big of a difference. Our O looked like a completely new team. Sure, we had some confusion with sets but other than that personal changes were smooth, and he was always a few plays ahead of the action on the field. He is an exceptional coach and it showed yesterday. I can't wait to see what he is going to do as the year progresses and more importantly next season. The guys is special and is the missing link to our resurrection. The Gods were smiling on us when his old boss was let go.

My Dad who turns 90 in a few months is going on 50. Still rows and sails, swims most days and does all of the yard work and chores that he did when I was growing up.

I savor my time with him, and SU football is and has always been special for us. Yesterday was pure magic. Sitting at the camp last night after the game in the middle of the night with my father going over every play like two guys who just both shot a great round of golf.

I don't know how the season is going to end but for me it sure as heck couldn't have started any better.

Go Orange!
Enjoy all of it. Miss bringing my pops to the games. he was a huge fan.

Go Orange!
Tears in the eyes bro post of the year. When I try to put into words the whys and just how important this all is, I’m gonna link your post. Bravo

Love the write-up, though I do find it interesting that the chirping and in the face attitude is considered "swag" for our team, but there are a lot of posts calling out UL for doing the same. lol. All a matter of perception, I guess.

I know this is the football board, but my daughter and I started going to all the bball games together after she graduated college 14 years ago. It is precious for me and I think it is for her as well. I am not nearly as active as your dad but I sure hope I can make the games up to 85 or 90. It’s a goal!

Love the write-up, though I do find it interesting that the chirping and in the face attitude is considered "swag" for our team, but there are a lot of posts calling out UL for doing the same. lol. All a matter of perception, I guess.

IMO, chirping and talking is fine. Late hits, targeting, twisting ankles and intentionally trying to hurt the opponents is dirty. Huge difference. personally, I don’t care for any of it

Last edited:
IMO, chirping amd talking is fine. Late hits, targeting, twisting ankles and intentionally trying to hurt the opponents is dirty. Huge difference. personally, I don’t care for any of it
My beef is the chirping from anyone who had nothing to do with the play. Both teams had guys who chirped after not touching anyone.

Go Orange!
Neat post but be careful with the wolf pack thing. Maybe try Hyenas or wild dogs - anything other than something that reminds us of NCS!

It’s already been said but love the connection with your dad. Brought some tears to my eyes as well. I cycle and have a bike for almost every cycling discipline. Nothing I love more than to see old guys (and ladies I should say - just bumped into a 70 yr old lady in VT starting a really big mountain bike climb) still riding on mountain bike trails with rocks and roots. Gives me inspiration every time I bump into them on the trail. Your dad/story reminds me of that. I hope this year turns out to be special for both of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom