my two cents | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
First off hats off to Dino and the coaches for making sure that the kids didn't overlook the pups.
The team was extremely well prepared, and the OC and DC did a great job with the game plans.
As I continuously post coaching matters. Each Saturday we see that the difference between the top 50 or so teams isn't all that great even with NIL and the huge advantage that so many schools have. Marshal, Ap State and many other lesser teams like Holy Cross all had excellent weekends. Texas AM probably spends more on football in one year than Ap State in 10. The talent level at the elite schools is better but not so much so that a team like SU if it is well coached can't compete. HS 3 stars that are coached up become on field 5 stars. The bottom line is that for the last god know how many years we have had mediocre coaching bordering on piss poor.
That all changed with the hiring of coach White and now Dr. Bob and Beck. Add in a great OL coach, Super bowl special teams coach, Wr coach upgrades and we have a coaching staff that is as good as any in the ACC. Because of these guys we will be in every game. Game plans, Schemes, clock management everything is better.
Just look at the position groups that underperformed last year and it is obvious. Coaching matters and we finally have a top-notch group

Next up is the QB position. It's simple you can't win without a good one. When you have one that is special, and we do this year magic can happen. Shrader is a great college player and most importantly he is the leader of this team on and off the field. We have a Bonafide super star in him and he makes everyone around him better. Cool and collected. Leads by example. Guy is as good as we have had in a very long time might actually be better than dare, I say Eric D. He is the straw that stirs the drink.

As to the game it was all business for the cuse. From the opening kickoff we handled the game. Controlled all aspects. There wasn't a thing off yesterday. Nothing it was close to a perfect performance. Special props to the special teams. What a difference a year makes what a difference Lig has made. Looks like we found a punter and kick off guy which bodes well for future match ups.

Last point. Carlos looks the part. He is solid and I believe we can win with him at the helm. Great to have someone as talented as him in the number 2 slot.

Team looked great and looked confident. Again, great job by the coaches and the kids.

Let's pound Purdue next week and keep this train rolling.

First off hats off to Dino and the coaches for making sure that the kids didn't overlook the pups.
The team was extremely well prepared, and the OC and DC did a great job with the game plans.
As I continuously post coaching matters. Each Saturday we see that the difference between the top 50 or so teams isn't all that great even with NIL and the huge advantage that so many schools have. Marshal, Ap State and many other lesser teams like Holy Cross all had excellent weekends. Texas AM probably spends more on football in one year than Ap State in 10. The talent level at the elite schools is better but not so much so that a team like SU if it is well coached can't compete. HS 3 stars that are coached up become on field 5 stars. The bottom line is that for the last god know how many years we have had mediocre coaching bordering on piss poor.
That all changed with the hiring of coach White and now Dr. Bob and Beck. Add in a great OL coach, Super bowl special teams coach, Wr coach upgrades and we have a coaching staff that is as good as any in the ACC. Because of these guys we will be in every game. Game plans, Schemes, clock management everything is better.
Just look at the position groups that underperformed last year and it is obvious. Coaching matters and we finally have a top-notch group

Next up is the QB position. It's simple you can't win without a good one. When you have one that is special, and we do this year magic can happen. Shrader is a great college player and most importantly he is the leader of this team on and off the field. We have a Bonafide super star in him and he makes everyone around him better. Cool and collected. Leads by example. Guy is as good as we have had in a very long time might actually be better than dare, I say Eric D. He is the straw that stirs the drink.

As to the game it was all business for the cuse. From the opening kickoff we handled the game. Controlled all aspects. There wasn't a thing off yesterday. Nothing it was close to a perfect performance. Special props to the special teams. What a difference a year makes what a difference Lig has made. Looks like we found a punter and kick off guy which bodes well for future match ups.

Last point. Carlos looks the part. He is solid and I believe we can win with him at the helm. Great to have someone as talented as him in the number 2 slot.

Team looked great and looked confident. Again, great job by the coaches and the kids.

Best part about Shrader is when he makes a mistake he accepts responsibility. The second field goal, where he threw to the back of the end zone. Pena was wide open, and he missed him. Shrader came off the field, and you could see him telling Pena, my fault, I missed you.

I think the portal has mitigated some of the NIL affects. Kids are flowing to places where they can play when in past years they would get recruited over and be stuck.

Think about it like this … from the portal we have grabbed not 1 but 2 four star high school QBs in Shrader and Del Rio Wilson who would not be here if not for the portal. I feel in some ways it’s helped level the playing field. How many seasons have we had 1 let alone two four star QB recruits on our roster?

I think the portal has mitigated some of the NIL affects. Kids are flowing to places where they can play when in past years they would get recruited over and be stuck.

Think about it like this … from the portal we have grabbed not 1 but 2 four star high school QBs in Shrader and Del Rio Wilson who would not be here if not for the portal. I feel in some ways it’s helped level the playing field. How many seasons have we had 1 let alone two four star QB recruits on our roster?

probably not the worst approach to recruiting QB’s in the current landscape

Nice post. However, getting 3 star recruits and hoping to coach them up is very difficult as a long term solution.

The recruiting has to improve enough so that we start to at least be getting a few four stars every season.

If we start to win, it will be easier to do the recruiting upgrade.

Schrader is a warrior, as was Dungey. When you have warriors at the QB position, good things happen. Schrader's improvement throwing the ball is simply amazing. He now has the confidence to fling it. Can he keep it up as the competition stiffens ??? We seem to have a lot of solid pieces at WR, but if somebody can step up as a legitimate go to guy #1 prime time receiver that would be very impactful going forward. Not sure we have anybody who you can throw the ball to in a contested situation and know they will make the catch 75% of the time, as the great ones manage to do.

Loved that when the foe game planned to stop Tucker at all costs that we found answers everywhere else. If Garrett keeps throwing this well, future foes will not have that luxury.

The D looked very good except for two plays. Lots of hustle, keep those engines running !!!

Szmyt looks like he may be back to freshman year form, and if that is the case, he will win us a game or two in the course of the season.

Loved what Dino did with the coaching adjustment from something like 10 false starts to zero (?).

Last year, the change to Schrader made a noticeable impact. He was not particularly accurate, but he played with calmness and strength. He didn't panic and he didn't fall down when somebody breathed on him.

This year, the change in his passing has been remarkable. That is a tribute to the staff and well as Garrett himself. In addition, the narrative was "well, the receivers suck." Well...they don't. In addition, we have really spread the ball around. Ten guys caught a ball yesterday. Another tribute to Anae's gameplan/play calling and a tribute to Garrett, who doesn't lock onto one guy and then panic if that guy is not open.

To top it off, we have been running a somewhat vanilla offense so far. Imagine what it will be like in upcoming games when Anae really starts to open it up.

A couple of things that Shrader has been doing really impress me. He has not been locked into one receiver and if the receiver is covered either thrown into coverage or take a sack. Shrader has been going through his progressions and spreading the ball around. Secondly, he has been using his eyes to control the defense - e.g. he will look left and the defense rotates that way and then throw to the right. He is really developing and is exciting to watch.

Don't think my guy Tucker is going to have a stellar year - a solid year, but not a stellar one. Everyone's game planning for him. It's almost like he's a decoy out there. And if teams start focusing on stopping Shrader this coaching staff will sense that and get the ball to Tucker. It's kind of a win-win if we're playing at a high level. Maybe we even get Tucker for another year now.

Don't think my guy Tucker is going to have a stellar year - a solid year, but not a stellar one. Everyone's game planning for him. It's almost like he's a decoy out there. And if teams start focusing on stopping Shrader this coaching staff will sense that and get the ball to Tucker. It's kind of a win-win if we're playing at a high level. Maybe we even get Tucker for another year now.
All true. And I think Rino’s absence is felt most by Tucker.

College football is my favorite level of any sport. I grew up in a college town with the atmosphere that the local team could put our burg on the map, (as opposed to big city fans who know they are on the map and just want their teams live up to the image they already have of their city). That creates an extra layer of longing. I love the color in the uniforms and the collegiate enthusiasm, also that every community in America, not just the big markets, has a real team, (as opposed to a minor league assemblage of players), to root for. It draws the nation together, much like March Madness, except that it lasts longer: Fall Madness. I like the fact that different teams have different styles, unlike the pros where anything that works gets quickly blended into what everybody was already doing.

What I have never liked about college football is that some schools have advantages that are difficult and over the long term impossible to overcome. Location is huge: you need to be in big-time recruiting areas. It helps to be a large state school with taxpayer's money, low tuition and academic requirements and the allegiance of the entire state. Alumni who are on the Forbes 400 sure helps. Five-star facilities are a big deal and winning breeds winning while losing breeds losing. Syracuse has been a middle weight program for much of the two-platoon era, (our best teams have been light heavyweights but we have had to play some heavyweights and are in a division full of light heavies.) The impact of NIL and the transfer portal isn't fully known yet. We might lose a good player to someone higher in the pecking order at some point but it hasn't happened yet. We've been the team higher in the pecking order a few times and we've benefited from players who left the football factories looking for playing time. I also wonder if NIL might be a bigger deal in the smaller markets that in the larger markets. What would Buddy Boeheim have gotten at Rutgers?

The saving grace is that all those recruiting advantages get the football factories the inside track on recruiting teenagers. In what profession can you tell how good a teenager is going to be when he fully matures. I once suggested that if a player in an NBA starter at age 25, it's probable he was 20% of what he was going to become when he left high school and 80% when he left college and Jim agreed with that assessment. Football is also a sport with certain key positions from a game can be dominated: quarterback, running back, defensive end, linebacker. If a middleweight can develop an un-the-radar player in a dominate player at one of those positions on each side of the ball, they are no longer a middleweight. The 2010 Auburn team won the national championship that was probably comparable to a Syracuse team that had both a senior Donovan McNabb and a senior Dwight Freeney on it, (they were both on our 1998 teams but Freeney was an injured freshman). The names were Cam newton and Nick Fairly, but it's the same situation. Or a football factor team can get an over-rated 5 star playing a key position and be less than they'd normally be. Clemson has DJ Uiagalelei but we have Garrett Shrader and it looks like our guy is better.

So we always have hope and that's what being a fan is all about.

There is Bama, OSU, Clemson and UGA.

Bama is on an historical streak. The best in cfb history. Clemson would be considered an insanely good period if not for Bama.

You are right, after that top tier, there is a pool of schools that are very dependent on coaching and talent development.

Feels like we are back into that pool.

Re Shrader, the dude had to deal with a terrible OC, the TD/Taj BS, and played injured for a significant chunk of last season.

A lot of good decisions in the program are bearing fruit this year.

But he may be impressing the NFL more becoming a bigger part of the passing attack. They like versatile backs.

A couple of things that Shrader has been doing really impress me. He has not been locked into one receiver and if the receiver is covered either thrown into coverage or take a sack. Shrader has been going through his progressions and spreading the ball around. Secondly, he has been using his eyes to control the defense - e.g. he will look left and the defense rotates that way and then throw to the right. He is really developing and is exciting to watch.
That is coaching

There are more guys running open combined with a clean pocket in one quarter than there was in 12 games last year

Nice post. However, getting 3 star recruits and hoping to coach them up is very difficult as a long term solution.

The recruiting has to improve enough so that we start to at least be getting a few four stars every season.

If we start to win, it will be easier to do the recruiting upgrade.

Schrader is a warrior, as was Dungey. When you have warriors at the QB position, good things happen. Schrader's improvement throwing the ball is simply amazing. He now has the confidence to fling it. Can he keep it up as the competition stiffens ??? We seem to have a lot of solid pieces at WR, but if somebody can step up as a legitimate go to guy #1 prime time receiver that would be very impactful going forward. Not sure we have anybody who you can throw the ball to in a contested situation and know they will make the catch 75% of the time, as the great ones manage to do.

Loved that when the foe game planned to stop Tucker at all costs that we found answers everywhere else. If Garrett keeps throwing this well, future foes will not have that luxury.

The D looked very good except for two plays. Lots of hustle, keep those engines running !!!

Szmyt looks like he may be back to freshman year form, and if that is the case, he will win us a game or two in the course of the season.

Loved what Dino did with the coaching adjustment from something like 10 false starts to zero (?).
His improvement as a passer is remarkable.

There are more guys running open combined with a clean pocket in one quarter than there was in 12 games last year
He had a lot of time to throw last night

I agree. Last year we were getting tucker the ball on sweeps and off tackle plays in space. This year seems more inside tackles.

the oline has taken a step back in the run blocking and some of that is probably a slightly different set of schemes but the offense has so far taken a big step forward in the passing game.. if we can continue to run for 150 a game and still pass for 250+ thats a good mesh. the biggest difference so far is staying ahead of the chains and and we really havent broken any longer runs.. they will come a some point as teams start to adjust to the better passing game.

The play calling and scheme have a lot to do with it.
I'm sure that's true, though the talent on the other side contributed.

Most important for me - from a mechanical standpoint, he shows vast improvement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom