My two cents | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My two cents

We have a perfect team to press for 10 minutes a game (5 each half) Long, athletic should get some steals, easy baskets, proabbly fouls but thats ok witht hte depth. Copelnad, Bunch, Brown, Taylor and Carey can cause havoc mixed in with Sy, Benny. 7' guys sit back and protect rim.

Remember those PItino Louisville teams where they press all game long up to half court, then retreated into the 2-3 zone. I wished we had ever done that.

This would be a good team to try it, if you are so concerned about their ability to pick up the zone before mid-season that you're talking half-seriously about playing man.

If he can't score, well we know that Copeland can get to the rim, and he's 6-6. Not many PGs in college are going to keep him out of the lane. If Copeland can play acceptable defense and doesn't go all "hot dog" with his passing, he will be the third guard.
Good points, and I love QC's potential, but we are talking about Jimmy and he will go with the proven and capable upper classman. If Jimmy really likes Q, maybe he gets some rotation time as the 4th guard or maybe he is big enough to get some minutes at SF if the matchup's are favorable. Just cant see Q beating out Sy for the third guard in Jimmy's World.

Good points, and I love QC's potential, but we are talking about Jimmy and he will go with the proven and capable upper classman. If Jimmy really likes Q, maybe he gets some rotation time as the 4th guard or maybe he is big enough to get some minutes at SF if the matchup's are favorable. Just cant see Q beating out Sy for the third guard in Jimmy's World.

If Symir isn't a threat to score when he's in there, we can't afford to play him. It's really that simple.

We have 3 or 4 totally unproven guys at forward, and need for two of them to turn out to be solid. But it's very possible that none of them can get us 10 ppg.

Then, can you afford to only play 2 guys (Jesse and the other guard) out of 5 who you can count on to get a couple buckets? That's a recipe for disaster. We're not Pitt under Jamie Dixon. We can't hold teams to 45 points a game.

If Symir isn't a threat to score when he's in there, we can't afford to play him. It's really that simple. We have 3 or 4 totally unproven guys at forward, and need for two of the to turn out to be solid. But it's very possible that none of them can get us 10 ppg. Then, can you afford to only play 2 guys (Jesse and the other guard) out of 5 who you can count on to get a couple buckets. That's a recipe for disaster. We're not Pitt under Jamie Dixon. We can't hold teams to 45 points a game.
Symir scored around 8-10 points in those couple games where he played 30+ minutes, didn’t he?

Symir scored around 8-10 points in those couple games where he played 30+ minutes, didn’t he?

Yeah, but 3-15 in a shooting contest kind of sucks, don't you think?

Yeah, but 3-15 in a shooting contest kind of sucks, don't you think?
Eh….he shot 41% for the season.

Looked it up, he had 9 points and 9 assists on 4-4 shooting against FSU, and 7 points and 11 assists on 2-9 shooting against Duke.

I’m way more worried about Benny’s offense than Torrence’s, personally.

Looked it up, he had 9 points and 9 assists on 4-4 shooting against FSU, and 7 points and 11 assists on 2-9 shooting against Duke.

Sure, and I want all of our guys to be successful. All I was really saying is that, no matter what position they play, we can only afford so many "passengers" on offense in today's game. Whoever wants to be on the floor has to do more than just play defense on this team. We have greater needs than that.

Sure, and I want all of our guys to be successful. All I was really saying is that, no matter what position they play, we can only afford so many "passengers" on offense in today's game. Whoever wants to be on the floor has to do more than just play defense on this team. We have greater needs than that.
I agree…but I’m not concerned about that with Torrence. He showed an improved ability to get to the hoop and finish as the year went on, and his assists numbers per minutes played were very good. He’s no passenger….he creates and gets the ball to people in the right spots. Second half of the year, he usually helped the offense IMO. Should’ve played more.

Thing is though, just how proven and capable is Symir?

He gives off more "4th or 5th guard on a good Cuse team" energy to me than anything else.

I’m worried about Benny’s discipline and energy, and less bouncy jump around but don’t do anything.

I agree…but I’m not concerned about that with Torrence. He showed an improved ability to get to the hoop and finish as the year went on, and his assists numbers per minutes played were very good. He’s no passenger….he creates and gets the ball to people in the right spots. Second half of the year, he usually helped the offense IMO. Should’ve played more.

He’s best suited for below average usage, which is what we saw last season in the second half (easy to do when you clearly know where your offense is coming from). On the other hand, he has good vision and a steady hand. Capable but underwhelming defender. Easy to see the third guard go either way with Copeland there.

He’s best suited for below average usage, which is what we saw last season in the second half (easy to do when you clearly know where your offense is coming from). On the other hand, he has good vision and a steady hand. Capable but underwhelming defender. Easy to see the third guard go either way with Copeland there.
I’ve never watched Copeland play….I hope he is what people say he is.

After Benny just last year though….we’ll see.

I know I like Torrence.

I’ve never watched Copeland play….I hope he is what people say he is.

After Benny just last year though….we’ll see.

I know I like Torrence.

I quite like Torrence as well, I just have a quant-driven brain. As such, hard to not have some reservations in the context of what’s needed for this season. I’m not sold on Copeland per se, it’s just hard not to see the upside in just about all aspects of the game. Have to rely on the qualitative with him for now, and upside and a dollar will get you four quarters. I’m hoping we can think of them both as the third-and-a-half guard that could give different looks depending on the matchup or offensive/defensive flow any given night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom