my two cents | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

To keep it short they only took 12 HS kids. They went into the cycle needing space for transfers and juco's. Which are not added to the HS rankings. They have the least amount of commits of any acc team.
My original point is that Dino being liked by his players isn’t going to help keep them here.
We haven’t been even mediocre in recruiting and just because Dino is a likable guy is no reason to believe that helps with todays kids.

I do and ive been very critical of him. My reasoning is that his number one strength is very much needed in todays environment. Now that he has hired solid X and O coaches his ability to connect with the kids is critical. Guys like Doug and P wouldn't cut it at SU today. There would be a mass exodus. Dino is by all accounts really liked and respected by the players and their families. That is extremely important.
Agree completely. As frustrating as some of his in-game decisions can be, in this NIL/Portal era a respected leader providing counsel to young men and their families on life and career changing moves will prove to be important - and it seems to be one of Dino’s strengths.

My original point is that Dino being liked by his players isn’t going to help keep them here.
We haven’t been even mediocre in recruiting and just because Dino is a likable guy is no reason to believe that helps with todays kids.
I get it. we all have personal thoughts about DIno. I was responding about the recruiting part. Weve known about bad recuiting for 20 years now. Thats nothing new.

Dino was my choice and I have stuck by him because he made the tough decisions, which is needed by a CEO. With support from JW we are seeing improvement in coaching staff. I can see the possibilities of a good succession. We could be set for a nice run of a few years.

The recruiting continues to suck and there is no use rationalizing. What is it they say about lipstick on a pig? That said, it is more a Syracuse issue than anything else. I doubt there is a coach out there with a magic wand that can do much better.

I will gladly settle for a solid steady line of improvement that might gradually improve HS recruiting and make us a reasonable portal choice. Five or six years in a row of competitive respectability might do wonders.

Lastly, Dino runs a clean program and is a great ambassador. That counts a great deal in my book.

His ending up with zero timeouts at the end of both halfs alone is reason enough to not want to extend him.
Much better clock management in this game, and BTW, his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses anyday. I was actually ridiculously suprised at how well we played given the circumstances and all the noise. And for what it is worth Fleck is a tremendous coach and he won that game the way we won most of our games in 2018, turnovers and special teams as well as a bend do not break defense. Still we should have won.

Much better clock management in this game, and BTW, his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses anyday. I was actually ridiculously suprised at how well we played given the circumstances and all the noise. And for what it is worth Fleck is a tremendous coach and he won that game the way we won most of our games in 2018, turnovers and special teams as well as a bend do not break defense. Still we should have won.
He does OK, IMO. The recruiting is thin, I believe there are coaches who would do much better in that category, which is job 1. Many of the teams playing in the nowls had the same issues with portal and sit outs, Minnesota included, so it's not just a Syracuse issue. The team gave a complete effort which is a big check mark in the positive category for Dino.

So you didn’t watch the game.
You have to guard 1 time out for late game situations. You can't take time outs early in halfs because you don't like particular sets. You have to have coached in schemes for those situation or coach hard from the sidelines, that is what all successful coaches do. A coach doesn't have unlimited timeouts to have sitdowns with players at every crucial time during a game. Every strong coach saves 1 and often times they come out to be the reason the team wins or loses. Dino is going to have to manage a priority of using timeouts, like if he doesn't like a set on offense because of the defensive alignment, go to a base play that has some percentage of succeeding, and similar on D. a coach has to trust his captains he has in place on the field to make critical decisions. Whatever the strategy, you have to try to save 1 timeout.

You have to guard 1 time out for late game situations. You can't take time outs early in halfs because you don't like particular sets. You have to have coached in schemes for those situation or coach hard from the sidelines, that is what all successful coaches do. A coach doesn't have unlimited timeouts to have sitdowns with players at every crucial time during a game. Every strong coach saves 1 and often times they come out to be the reason the team wins or loses. Dino is going to have to manage a priority of using timeouts, like if he doesn't like a set on offense because of the defensive alignment, go to a base play that has some percentage of succeeding, and similar on D. a coach has to trust his captains he has in place on the field to make critical decisions. Whatever the strategy, you have to try to save 1 timeout.
and yet big time coaches use timeouts early in games all the time.. lack of Timeouts didnt have any effect on the game. you have 3.. It doesnt mean you will only have 3 times that a TO is a good call..

You’ve convinced me you didn’t watch the game or are quite confused. You know what most likely happens if we saved a timeout in the first half? No TD. And what would we save it for? Halftime?

We can't have a 5 win season then. I can see them flopping as they did the year after Dungey left and we were ranked!

What about next years schedule and team makes you think it’s likely we flop? Just curious the specific things that are comparable between the two scenarios that led you to that conclusion.

He’s liked so well that we came in last in recruiting in the ACC.Last year we were #12 on most guys transferring out and this year I don’t know the ranking but we lost quite a few.
So many comments about Dino not being a good recruiter. If that is true, then who recruited our starting 22 from September that in my opinion was a top 20 team, before the injuries. Whoever that was deserves a raise.

Lots of teams have a mostly injury free magical season.. No reason SU cant have one as well one of these years.. If nothing else, this yr showed that had we been a bit more lucky on that item we probably saw a 10 win season. It wont happen every yr but most of the time the teams that end up with great seasons have very few injuries in multiple spots.

You’ve convinced me you didn’t watch the game or are quite confused. You know what most likely happens if we saved a timeout in the first half? No TD. And what would we save it for? Halftime?
The timeout usage has been for a long time, not just in the bowl game. Like the numerous times they come off a stopin play and then call a timeout or call 2 time outs before a play is run. Not really been logical.

The timeout usage has been for a long time, not just in the bowl game. Like the numerous times they come off a stopin play and then call a timeout or call 2 time outs before a play is run. Not really been logical.

In case you forgot, you were speaking specifically about the bowl game when you said anyone not saving a timeout at the end of the half should not be extended. Now as always you want to twist things. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

In case you forgot, you were speaking specifically about the bowl game when you said anyone not saving a timeout at the end of the half should not be extended. Now as always you want to twist things. You don’t know what you’re talking about.
OK, extend Dino, if he's all in, extend him. Last time he was extended, he wanted to parley his 2018 success into a bigger job and the subsequent coaching seemed halfhearted.

OK, extend Dino, if he's all in, extend him. Last time he was extended, he wanted to parley his 2018 success into a bigger job and the subsequent coaching seemed halfhearted.

Um, you brought up extending, not me. My only point is we scored by using our timeouts. You would have preferred he save one so he could have run to the Locke room with it in his pocket and no TD. Brilliant.

Um, you brought up extending, not me. My only point is we scored by using our timeouts. You would have preferred he save one so he could have run to the Locke room with it in his pocket and no TD. Brilliant.
The timeout usage pattern has been established so I will say it clouded my analysis and the timeouts were used effectively in the bowl game as I can recall, to some extent, as I don't recall when the first one was used and what were the circumstances.

Your point about time-out usage could be applied to his career and be a small factor in whether to extend him. However, it was not a factor in this game, which is what this thread is about. If he was looking into possibilities elsewhere after his third year here, that also has little to do with this game.

Your point about time-out usage could be applied to his career and be a small factor in whether to extend him. However, it was not a factor in this game, which is what this thread is about. If he was looking into possibilities elsewhere after his third year here, that also has little to do with this game.
I hope that you and others are as generous and indulgent of all the other people you interact with in everyday life. Dino himself has taken draconian measures for players who have made mistakes. I was however, so disgusted by the condition of the field that I could hardly focus on all the minutia, which is normally what I like to analyze. In the end I felt like the team gave such a huge effort, thanks in large part to Dino's coaching, that it really was angering to have Minnesota come out with the win.

So many comments about Dino not being a good recruiter. If that is true, then who recruited our starting 22 from September that in my opinion was a top 20 team, before the injuries. Whoever that was deserves a raise.
If the first 6 games were the only ones counted you would have a point. However...

If the first 6 games were the only ones counted you would have a point. However...

I think you judge the recruiting by the team at its best. If they perform below that, you look for the reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom