my two cents | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

He assembled a talented team. That is what matters. Our B team just outgained Minnesota by 477 to 215. That is quality depth to go with the original 22 starters.
And what is your take about the 5 straight losses? Cherry picking stats and games doesn't amount to much. And what makes you think the Gophers weren't depleted as well?

We always rank at the bottom of the conference, which correlates with our record. Not good recruiting.

And what is your take about the 5 straight losses? Cherry picking stats and games doesn't amount to much. And what makes you think the Gophers weren't depleted as well?

We always rank at the bottom of the conference, which correlates with our record. Not good recruiting.
The Gophers had 1 opt out that was it. Their All-American RB started.

You are what your record says you are, not some recruiting analyst "experts". Our record this year shouts that we had a talented team, in my opinion. ymmv.

You are what your record says you are, not some recruiting analyst "experts". Our record this year shouts that we had a talented team, in my opinion. ymmv.
Regardless of the degree of talent it says we weren’t very deep. That also speaks to recruiting, doesn't it.

Regardless of the degree of talent it says we weren’t very deep. That also speaks to recruiting, doesn't it.

We had average depth and had to use it all and then some.

What about next years schedule and team makes you think it’s likely we flop? Just curious the specific things that are comparable between the two scenarios that led you to that conclusion.
I haven't even looked at next year's schedule, but in 2018 did you think A team like Maryland would put over 60 points on us, a ranked team? Me either and I hope Baber's remembers this so it doesn't happen again.

I haven't even looked at next year's schedule, but in 2018 did you think A team like Maryland would put over 60 points on us, a ranked team? Me either and I hope Baber's remembers this so it doesn't happen again.

Probably the most disappointing performance I've seen since I started following SU football in 1961. Maryland won 1 other game that year and finished 3-8 while ESPN GameDay flew the coop.

Ok, so your post wasn’t based on anything. Just making sure

His ending up with zero timeouts at the end of both halfs alone is reason enough to not want to extend him.
When were the timeouts used in the second half and how much time did that save us? All used in the last five minutes down two scores, the first two when Minnesota was running clock. Our only chance at that point was a score and on sides kick recovery. The timeouts (at least the first two) gave us that opportunity.
We have certainly had clock management issues in the past. Thursday was not one of those times.

To keep it short they only took 12 HS kids. They went into the cycle needing space for transfers and juco's. Which are not added to the HS rankings. They have the least amount of commits of any acc team.
Free covid year and keeping the roster limit at 85 presented a terrific challenge to young teams. I believe we had only 7 players who were headed into their last year of eligibility last September. And one was Rhino who theoretically could have come back. Certainly anticipated some attrition but at what positions and what classes? Makes it difficult for coaches to plan and for high level recruits to evaluate the roster. Not saying we would have had a top 10 high school class absent these challenges, but somewhere in the 40s or 50s is a reasonable assumption just based on increased quantity. And the JuCos and transfers coming in certainly elevate the overall quality and will likely bring earlier production than high school talent

When were the timeouts used in the second half and how much time did that save us? All used in the last five minutes down two scores, the first two when Minnesota was running clock. Our only chance at that point was a score and on sides kick recovery. The timeouts (at least the first two) gave us that opportunity.
We have certainly had clock management issues in the past. Thursday was not one of those times.
Pace of the last drive seemed slow. We scored but didn't have a ton of pace on that drive down two scores.

Free covid year and keeping the roster limit at 85 presented a terrific challenge to young teams. I believe we had only 7 players who were headed into their last year of eligibility last September. And one was Rhino who theoretically could have come back. Certainly anticipated some attrition but at what positions and what classes? Makes it difficult for coaches to plan and for high level recruits to evaluate the roster. Not saying we would have had a top 10 high school class absent these challenges, but somewhere in the 40s or 50s is a reasonable assumption just based on increased quantity. And the JuCos and transfers coming in certainly elevate the overall quality and will likely bring earlier production than high school talent
All good points.

We got smoked once. Played a bunch of games with backups all over the field and competed to the whistle.

The days of Cooper Lutz types (no offense to him, first guy I could think of) Patriot League sized second stringers are over.

Regardless of the depth and injuries, the five game slide was impacted more by the sequence of the schedule than anything else. These were arguably our 5 toughest games and we played 3 on the road. At Clemson, home vs. a Notre Dame team that had found its stride winning six of its last seven and playing at a Top 10 level, on the road in our personal hell at Pitt without QB1, home against a very talented FSU team similar to ND, that won its last 6 and at a Wake Forest team that was ranked in the top 10 at one point.
Reswizzle the schedule to break up that gauntlet and the retrospective on 2022 takes a much more positive spin.

Just history, but it seems it has a way of repeating not in Baber's favor. Why is that?
Maybe because Cuse have been a struggling program for the last 20 years. Its a lot more to it than pointing out a bad performance here and there.

Recruiting ranking is about volume and doesn’t factor transfers. Totally situational and not really important for this discussion. Yeah, it correlates but that’s not what creates the aggregate results. If we play Minny with our best players we’re at least level. That’s about as good as we can hope for right now. We can’t use the results of an exhibition to conclude anything else. We whooped lville and beat an above average Purdue team when we had our full team together. And even had clemson in a great spot before injuries. That’s where we are, which I think we should be pleased with. That’s the point we should be building from re: depth. NIl is challenging that but still not a bad place ti be relative to recent decades.

We had a good solid year. Had a chance to be special but injuries did us in. Next year we are a deeper team at QB and both lines. 7 wins is a good and reasonable goal. If we get lucky who knows. I like this staff. Dino is a good person to lead us through NIL and portal. We have a very good DC and an up and coming star at OC.
I believe we are going into 23 in the best position we have been in the last 5 years.

Recruiting ranking is about volume and doesn’t factor transfers. Totally situational and not really important for this discussion. Yeah, it correlates but that’s not what creates the aggregate results. If we play Minny with our best players we’re at least level. That’s about as good as we can hope for right now. We can’t use the results of an exhibition to conclude anything else. We whooped lville and beat an above average Purdue team when we had our full team together. And even had clemson in a great spot before injuries. That’s where we are, which I think we should be pleased with. That’s the point we should be building from re: depth. NIl is challenging that but still not a bad place ti be relative to recent decades.
With the exception of Wagner and Uconn we beat teams that normally out recruit SU. Recruiting rankings don't tell the whole story.

Syracuse ended 37th in SRS. Better than 2013, 2012, 1999, 1997, 1989, 1985

FSU ended 11th. (I was told I was dumb for saying they were actually really good - fond memory)
Clemson 13
ND 19
Louisville 22
Wake 25
Minn 27
Pitt 30
NC State 34
Purdue 49th

Last edited:
We got smoked once. Played a bunch of games with backups all over the field and competed to the whistle.

The days of Cooper Lutz types (no offense to him, first guy I could think of) Patriot League sized second stringers are over.

Much like 2018 - and almost by the same score. If that team had had the injuries and opt outs this one had, they would have had a similar record, (and vice versa).

We had a good solid year. Had a chance to be special but injuries did us in. Next year we are a deeper team at QB and both lines. 7 wins is a good and reasonable goal. If we get lucky who knows. I like this staff. Dino is a good person to lead us through NIL and portal. We have a very good DC and an up and coming star at OC.
I believe we are going into 23 in the best position we have been in the last 5 years.
Agree with much of what you said but a word of caution is that we probably lost more really good players ro graduation and the draft this year than anytime since 2012/2013. Has to matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom