my two cents | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
Dam, Kids played a good game for all but the last 5 minutes and let it get away to a very good team. I actually think that Jim coached a very good game but like the kids wasn't his best the last 5 minutes or so. Why Well it was obvious that Judah not only wasn't having a good game, but that Miami was in his head, and he was cooked. The more he messed up and pressed the worse it became. I'm not sure why Jim put him back in the game, but I believe Jim doing so is what cost us the win. This game needed Sy to beat pressure and set things up for Joe. This should have remained the Joe and Jesse show down the stretch. Sy beats pressure gets us in our set and Joe and Jesse either win the game or they don't.
The minute Judah came back in we lost our advantage because the last thing we needed was for Judah to go to the hole, take Joe out of his ISO situation and clog up the middle for Jesse. Why in the world Jim put him back in we will never know but that decision most likely lost the game. I'm not saying we would have won but I truly believe we would have had a much better chance.

The kids are playing hard and i was happy for Benny. He played his arse off and hustled as well as he has all year. Good to see.

I hope that we finish strong and get a chance to get the guys more experience in the NIT.

As to next year we need both Joe and Jesse to return. More than we need Judah. If Judah joe and Jesse leave it is going to be tough sledding.

It's always difficult when you have a game and let it slip. Hopefully they bounce back.

IF there is a coaching change off season I hope the decision is communicated to the team before the portal opens. Whether or not some important pieces return may depend on the staff returning or who the new coach is.

There will be no change next season. Take it fwiw.
This is why I am more angry at John Wildhack than anyone else.
He is supposed to be in charge of the athletic department and if he can’t see a change is needed ASAP and let’s this continue beyond this year he is the problem.

I don’t care how many people he is buddies with on this board. Only a terrible AD would let this continue beyond this year. The players aren’t the issue.

Dam, Kids played a good game for all but the last 5 minutes and let it get away to a very good team. I actually think that Jim coached a very good game but like the kids wasn't his best the last 5 minutes or so. Why Well it was obvious that Judah not only wasn't having a good game, but that Miami was in his head, and he was cooked. The more he messed up and pressed the worse it became. I'm not sure why Jim put him back in the game, but I believe Jim doing so is what cost us the win. This game needed Sy to beat pressure and set things up for Joe. This should have remained the Joe and Jesse show down the stretch. Sy beats pressure gets us in our set and Joe and Jesse either win the game or they don't.
The minute Judah came back in we lost our advantage because the last thing we needed was for Judah to go to the hole, take Joe out of his ISO situation and clog up the middle for Jesse. Why in the world Jim put him back in we will never know but that decision most likely lost the game. I'm not saying we would have won but I truly believe we would have had a much better chance.

The kids are playing hard and i was happy for Benny. He played his arse off and hustled as well as he has all year. Good to see.

I hope that we finish strong and get a chance to get the guys more experience in the NIT.

As to next year we need both Joe and Jesse to return. More than we need Judah. If Judah joe and Jesse leave it is going to be tough sledding.

It's always difficult when you have a game and let it slip. Hopefully they bounce back.
I never remember Jim allowing clear 2nd teamers (not guys like Dion, etc.) to finish out close games. He always goes back to starters.

I never remember Jim allowing clear 2nd teamers (not guys like Dion, etc.) to finish out close games. He always goes back to starters.
He had to put Judah in and trust that he would play the right way. Too many possible ripple effects in the modern world if he sits his "stud" recruit at crunch time.

This loss was no different than most of our losses - 2 S's - we don't share the ball (and I think we also have kids who don't like to share the spotlight but that is a different issue) and we have no strength. When teams get pushy we don't have the strength to push back. I personally would have gone with Maliq at the end as we needed help rebounding on both ends, and he can at least grab the ball or often tip it out and give Joe a chance to grab a loose ball as he is the only other player who aggressively pursues the ball in traffic.

I don't believe it is in our players DNA to share the ball, and our strength issues have been apparent for years so nothing changes there. My one hope last night is that JB finally realized we can't post Jesse and need him to be a screener and rim runner.

After the non conference debacles it was apparent that this was a development year, especially with the huge number of first year players. I can live with JB using this season to develop something that works and finding who performs best in different situations.

The fact that he's willing to give 9 players meaningful minutes is certainly a change in philosophy, even if it's dictated by the play on the court. I really like the fact that there seems to be more effort on the defensive end. Offensively, if the 4 forwards can find a consistent, dependable role game in and game out, Mintz can be an effective facilitator rather than a primary scorer. Without a perimeter game he is pretty limited right now.

The elephant in the room in today's era is who stays, who leaves, and what the portal might offer.

There will be no change next season. Take it fwiw.
Thanks. Without naming names, is your source connected to the AD or coaching staff? And is this deal ironclad even if we don’t make the NCAAs two years in a row?

Seems like the pretty connected posters are split on whether this is his last year or if he runs it back one more time.

Mintz was poor last night. It happens.
JAB is still a helluva bench coach. Is he perfect? No. There are no perfect games.
Mintz was in because you keep your stars in the game down the stretch.
This game was lost on the boards.
Taylor and Benny both played quite well, but they need to get rebounds in traffic in the last 5-6 minutes of a tight game. Just have to grind it out. Dawg mentality.
Sometimes it is hard ... and it might hurt. Maybe an elbow to the face.
But in the end, wins heal. And they feel good.

Strong effort last night. Good sign.

Thanks. Without naming names, is your source connected to the AD or coaching staff? And is this deal ironclad even if we don’t make the NCAAs two years in a row?

Seems like the pretty connected posters are split on whether this is his last year or if he runs it back one more time.
I think missing the tournament this year is a fireable offense, but I doubt that’s how it shakes out within the administration…

And Weitsman is pretty close with our assistants so take that fwiw too.

I think missing the tournament this year is a fireable offense, but I doubt that’s how it shakes out within the administration…

Is Weitsman more interested in having a winning program or being friends with Coach Boeheim and Coach McNamara?

I would think he just wants to be close with whoever is in charge as long as they give him respect and access.

Again if Coach Boeheim doesn’t make the tournament this year and we honestly need to win the conference tournament to get in then we should make a coaching change. Our AD has done a poor job managing the basketball program. If he lets this continue it’s on him and we shouldn’t hear publicly anything questioning attendance or the fanbase.

Great points!

I was OK with JB putting Judah back in but I was surprised he didn't pull him back out when he continued to play badly.

What you're implying is depressing. That the boosters (including Adam in that group) are more concerned with friendships than business. Sad part is it sort of makes sense and explains why we are where we are right now.

As for missing 2x in a row being fireable... I think it's not black and white. JB had previous stretches where this happened, but in those years at least we were squarely on the bubble, we were in the national discussion at least in that context, and the games mattered right up to the end. Both this year and last year, we're staring at no hope of getting in barring a miracle ACC tourney. Combined with not being ranked in 5 years, not relevant, not hitting the portal like we should, it's a pretty easy case to make.

He is supposed to be in charge of the athletic department and if he can’t see a change is needed ASAP and let’s this continue beyond this year he is the problem.

I don’t care how many people he is buddies with on this board. Only a terrible AD would let this continue beyond this year. The players aren’t the issue.
the self appointed level headed thread title arbiter with a rational even tempered reply, i love it

I think this is exactly what they are saying in Kentucky. LOL

JB Said at the beginning of the year

• All Freshman Will Play DONE
  • Play more than 8 DONE
  • Play Man to Man DONE (yeah, we all know how this one was going to go, LOL)
  • MAKE THE NCAA WIP (Work in Progress)

Lets wait till the end of January to see if the 4th statement he made will be realistic

GO CUSE

the self appointed level headed thread title arbiter with a rational even tempered reply, i love it
Thank you. Because talking about administrators that are making millions of dollars per year and athletes not being paid by the school are exactly the same thing. I don’t know who you are but glad to touch a nerve.
Wildhack and coaches are different from players and please tell me where I am creating a thread title with something like John Wildhack with one of the most useless performances as AD for his inactions towards the basketball program in the last few years.

Your point is spot on.

hindsight is always clear. Jim in hindsight should have kept Judah on the bench. He didn't and Judah lost the game. I know it's not PC in today's everyone is a cream puff world, but a spade is a spade. The kid lost the game. Doesn't mean we win with him on the bench, but we lost because of how he played.

hindsight is always clear. Jim in hindsight should have kept Judah on the bench. He didn't and Judah lost the game. I know it's not PC in today's everyone is a cream puff world, but a spade is a spade. The kid lost the game. Doesn't mean we win with him on the bench, but we lost because of how he played.

There were a lot of reasons we lost the game. I'm mad as anyone about Mintz' last few mins of play, but we had many opportunities to win the game throughout the course of the game.

I'm not even sure what a cream puff world means.

Joe took 21 shots to score 21 points (the guy I picked as MVP of the game). JT missed an easy rebound that became points for UM at a critical time (and had some other dicey moments on D), Bell had an awful game shooting, JB left zero TOs at the end of the game. On and on.

Mintz screwed up. He wasn't the only one that had a bad game, though. And he still had six boards, five assists and two steals. I'm not excusing his decisions at the end of the game. They were bad and I lost my mind when he did them, and I'm not going to cheerlead a 1-7 shooting game, but we also played some of our best basketball during this game. He was still part of that as well.

After a day of absorbing this, I'm proud of the team - we went toe to toe with this team. Yeah, Judah has to learn when to be in fifth gear vs third gear sometimes and a lot of other guys need to play smarter. And I think they will.

Tough loss. But at least we're all pissed about it and not resigned that its always inevitable.

Just to be clear, I don't remember that either and it's not something I've ever been mad about. Yesterday was different. Who knows, maybe he just didn't see it, maybe he was looking at someone else. Very strange one-off situation

I do remember feeling like Jason Hart had his moments where i was thinking, this guy is a mess and out of control where boeheim also let him work through or not (usually not when it got bad)

hindsight? go check the game thread. we were all saying bench judah during the second half meltdown

hindsight lol no

Would be really suprised in eitrher Joe or Jesse are back. JG is graduated and will go play in EU. Jesse assume could come back if the NBA says he should but think is gone and can't take NIL money. Hima will be good in zone we just nee dot go get solid transfer option

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom