My two cents | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My two cents

I am not interested in his editorials that are entirely misinformed with minimal insider knowledge. Dear Brent, how about writing about the culture Dino has attempted to establish in a difficult environment, how his kids would not quit on him, and most importantly tell us what you think about this game plan as as it regarded Pittsburgh, essentially on the fly, I do not expect to hear anything good from you, ever. As you have Liberty, so do I, you are a poor human. You seek weakness and pounce. I would be concerned about your entire life, that sounds about right... Then just stop clicking and reading, poor Emily, as well. You seemed a little torn initially, sadly it seems to be a little easier for you now. I actually feel sorry for you, that is a tough job. I am done. Now on to the most important thing.

1) If reporter has “minimal insider knowledge”, that’s more on the school/team/coaches than the reporter. Therefore - I don’t care.
2). An article about what a tough circumstance Dino is in is of no interest to me, and I’ve been one of the most charitable to Dino on this board. I sincerely doubt 98% of fans would have any interest in that. The issues existed when he took the job, I have no interest in crocodile tears about it now.
3). There was no point where an article about how players didn’t quit on Dino was appropriate prior to after the Pitt game. And if it came after the VT or BC games, I would have been enraged by an article that out-of-touch, and wouldn’t have read or listened to that guy again.

I’m not a huge fan of Axe, and only listen occasionally - but getting upset he’s not positive enough as the team imploded on the field over the last month is a bizarre take. I have no interest in a guy who is so positive he effectively lives in a fantasy world, which is what you are suggesting is needed.

Hard pass from me.

1) If reporter has “minimal insider knowledge”, that’s more on the school/team/coaches than the reporter. Therefore - I don’t care.
2). An article about what a tough circumstance Dino is in is of no interest to me, and I’ve been one of the most charitable to Dino on this board. I sincerely doubt 98% of fans would have any interest in that. The issues existed when he took the job, I have no interest in crocodile tears about it now.
3). There was no point where an article about how players didn’t quit on Dino was appropriate prior to after the Pitt game. And if it came after the VT or BC games, I would have been enraged by an article that out-of-touch, and wouldn’t have read or listened to that guy again.

I’m not a huge fan of Axe, and only listen occasionally - but getting upset he’s not positive enough as the team imploded on the field over the last month is a bizarre take. I have no interest in a guy who is so positive he effectively lives in a fantasy world, which is what you are suggesting is needed.

Hard pass from me.

He isn't getting paid to blow smoke up anyone's azz, no matter how much they might think he is.

Rarely do I feel the need to just come on the board and post; it typically is in response to another post. In any event after yesterday's game I feel I really was encouraged to do this.

First and foremost, I also want to give a huge congratulations and thanks to Dino Babers and staff for literarily coming up with this game plan on the fly. There was so much trickery and formations to keep the Pitt defense from truly keying in out runners, almost like what Paul Johnson, I believe, used to run at maybe Georgia Tech. Ferocious and brutal. For Dino to do this on the fly with Beck is amazing. If you did not notice, a lot of the RPO formations were from Dungey's senior year. He knew Schrader had to be a decoy and involved because our other young quarterback, simply would not have been able to do this in my opinion from an RPO standpoint. Villari was the quarterback, Schrader was the decoy and tertiary runner. Truly brilliant with LA keeping the defense honest.

So for all of the Naysayers saying that Dino cannot coach I tell them to watch this game. Will it work again, probably not without more trickery unless we can truly physically dominate which we actually did. Secondarily, DB obviously new that Garrett could not even lift his arm, I suspect that happened before the Clemson game, I certainly could speculate medically no need. What a teamate, like I said before Dino overestimated his ability to recruit, specifically a more talented first-line especially at WR, OL , however depth positions throughout. All coaches have warts. His are more evident because of the dearth of depth.

Lastly, no matter what occurs, I appreciate DB as a human being. So much has been said, however, his kids never gave up and fought for him. I honestly find it so challenging personally to read what specific writers verbalize about Dino in their paper and then come into a press conference and still be treated with dignity, certainly not perfection, but dignity. I honestly have heard Brent Axe talk about how he would give his approval or disapproval in relation to certain aspects of this team in relation to game planning, play calling. Then, literarily, attempt to assassinate someone's intellect. I know more about football that he ever dreamed, I assure you. Babers is a brilliant mind, he however obviously has some challenges... I trust, all were able to see the primary quarterback is literarily incapable of throwing the ball, his running even prior to yesterday was compromised. Our backup was used with significant challenges in relation to incorporation, he is young, also with receivers having difficulty creating any separation off of the line. Axe acknowledges none of this, he is not capable, He however in my opinion is an absolute vulture of a human being. From an ethical standpoint morally corrupt, and I personally feel he is not fit to write for the local town newspaper. I strongly believe he should be removed from his job with censorship secondary to his deficiencies in all regards. That is his constitutional right? Yes how would we do it? How about boycotting that paper, I encourage you to write the post standard about his blatant disregard for what is supposed to be held in regard. I am not interested in his editorials that are entirely misinformed with minimal insider knowledge. Dear Brent, how about writing about the culture Dino has attempted to establish in a difficult environment, how his kids would not quit on him, and most importantly tell us what you think about this game plan as as it regarded Pittsburgh, essentially on the fly, I do not expect to hear anything good from you, ever. As you have Liberty, so do I, you are a poor human. You seek weakness and pounce. I would be concerned about your entire life, that sounds about right... Then just stop clicking and reading, poor Emily, as well. You seemed a little torn initially, sadly it seems to be a little easier for you now. I actually feel sorry for you, that is a tough job. I am done. Now on to the most important thing.

Lastly, no matter what I believe, the truly invested people are fighting for this program, we now know we cannot lie about what it is going to take to play competitive, potentially not elite football. I truly wish the commitment that is there now was there in year 1, I think we would see much different results with better positioning to stay competitive in the NIL age. I could say so much more, I appreciate all of the kind, good-hearted Syracuse sports fans that realize that Syracuse University is truly a special place for all. Go Orange
What a great heart felt post. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and insight.

If Dino goes its because of recruiting failures not coaching or not being willing to adapt or not being likable or good with the press or good with donors or good at talking to fans.

We have changed and changed and changed, OC/DC/ position coaches. We have changed styles between seasons and mid seasons, we have given other QBs chances, we have competed with walkon QBs.
We have upgraded talent and depth all over the field.

What we have not done is gotten an B+ level QB other than Dungey.. If Shrader had a decent arm and stayed healthy we are a solid 8-9 win team the last 2 years.

We lack an alpha on the Dline from this D being pretty good.

Our alpha on offense got hurt and we dont have a stable of those like some teams.

Will another coach come in a start recruiting at a higher level that we havent seen in 20 yrs?

If Dino goes its because of recruiting failures not coaching or not being willing to adapt or not being likable or good with the press or good with donors or good at talking to fans.

We have changed and changed and changed, OC/DC/ position coaches. We have changed styles between seasons and mid seasons, we have given other QBs chances, we have competed with walkon QBs.
We have upgraded talent and depth all over the field.

What we have not done is gotten an B+ level QB other than Dungey.. If Shrader had a decent arm and stayed healthy we are a solid 8-9 win team the last 2 years.

We lack an alpha on the Dline from this D being pretty good.

Our alpha on offense got hurt and we dont have a stable of those like some teams.

Will another coach come in a start recruiting at a higher level that we havent seen in 20 yrs?

His recruiting on the O side of the ball has been awful. I tired to point that out but the topic got moved to the recruiting forum.

I never saw this as a referendum on Dino as a man.
If that were the case he should be appointed lifetime coach. Dino should be replaced because the record indicates that is in order.
I’ll always liked Dino and have never been critical of him, but at some point the record indicates the level of actual failure or success.
Look at the collective record during his tenure and tell me I’m wrong.
Sometimes it is better to ripoff the bandaid and hopefully let the healing begin.

win the next 2!!! Too many people triggered that Dino came up with an innovative game plan to beat a bad Pitt team. Do I think he will win the next 2? I really don't but I do think we land at 6-6 which is a brutal spot for the University to be in when it comes to deciding on Dino's future. Glad I am not the one making that decision

They explained the goal was bowl game.. if he makes it then a short term extension makes sense.

But removing the 2020 season because too many variables outside of coaching and remove yr 1-2 because we had to regroup from previous years.

5-6-7 this year.

that's about avg, a play or 2 away from 5 bowl seasons and a game away now from 3 of 5.

staying healthy matters even more than recruiting for teams like us

I agree the lack of ability to get play makers on offense has hurt.

the D has steadily gotten better.

The leap from steady to 8 is not that great, often a player away..

that 10 win team was on the cusp of making a 12 team playoff if they had one back then..

Dino's still one of my favorite coaches we've had. He's obviously a players' coach and I genuinely like his personality. I think he's had his share of setbacks and quite honestly some of the worst luck and officiating I've ever seen. Practically every game comes with several horrendous and obviously biased calls. If they keep him (which I hope they will), I will gladly contribute to the NIL fund to get him an offensive line.

Dino's still one of my favorite coaches we've had. He's obviously a players' coach and I genuinely like his personality. I think he's had his share of setbacks and quite honestly some of the worst luck and officiating I've ever seen. Practically every game comes with several horrendous and obviously biased calls. If they keep him (which I hope they will), I will gladly contribute to the NIL fund to get him an offensive line.

OL kids in the portal will be cast offs. Hard to have a decent OL made up of just portal kids. We were supposed to have 4 starting transfers this year and it hasn't worked out, although mainly due to injuries. Also everyone needs OL so it will be a biding war for anyone of quality.

The problem on O is we are not getting quality players out of HS. Is that really an NIL problem when NIL wasn't around the first two thirds of Dino's tenure? It seems more like a problem of being able to identify O talent. Throwing money at that won't fix the real issue of talent evaluation.

I don't know what Dino's relationship is with Addazio, but that would do more to fix the issue than NIL IMO.

OL kids in the portal will be cast offs. Hard to have a decent OL made up of just portal kids. We were supposed to have 4 starting transfers this year and it hasn't worked out, although mainly due to injuries. Also everyone needs OL so it will be a biding war for anyone of quality.

The problem on O is we are not getting quality players out of HS. Is that really an NIL problem when NIL wasn't around the first two thirds of Dino's tenure? It seems more like a problem of being able to identify O talent. Throwing money at that won't fix the real issue of talent evaluation.

I don't know what Dino's relationship is with Addazio, but that would do more to fix the issue than NIL IMO.
That's why if Dino commit's to running an offense like the one he ran against PITT, you only need run blocking o-linemen that are not desired by teams running the modern offensive sets, which is just about everyone else.

That's why if Dino commit's to running an offense like the one he ran against PITT, you only need run blocking o-linemen that are not desired by teams running the modern offensive sets, which is just about everyone else.

I agree that it would be better to be a run first O given what we can grab on the OL. But what is Dino's plan? We were more of a passing team his first 4 years. Then in year 6, we were a running team. Year 7 we went back to being a passing team. This year we started off being a passing team and have now gone back to a running team. It feels like he is all over the place. How do you have an identity or recruit to a system when that keeps changing? Dino needs to commit to something. Hard to have any consistency otherwise.

I dont think we want a 3TE wildcat set , but if you cant do better than that now then adapt and overcome.

Shrader becoming a non thrower hurt what we had going even with the oline issues.

Im posting tonight vs tomorrow morning as i usually do because i want to while it is still fresh to express what i believe is extremely important about tonight's win.
Two things.
First, it doesn't matter what any of us think or have been told. The kids love Dino. Period. They put it all on the line for him. Shrader can barley raise his right arm above his shoulder. Wore restrictive straps and gave his body up to do whatever he could to win for his coach. Bleitch was in constant pain the whole game and so many other kids gutted it out. Special effort because they care about their coach and each other.
Second. Beck showed his brilliance. What he was able to pull off today was amazing.
So regardless what we all think today for me proved that the kids truly respect their coach and Beck is who we all hoped and thought he was.
Im not sure how this season will end or if Dino will be back but what i do know is that for me this game was very special.
Im happy for Dino, his staff, and the kids. This is a game i will always remember.
More tomorrow with an emphasis on leadership.
What a great win for Dino and the kids.
Kids loved GRob too. I had 4 or 5 of them for Thanksgiving one year. They said they would rather miss a bowl with Greg than make a bowl with Paul. While important, it can’t be the deciding factor.

I agree that it would be better to be a run first O given what we can grab on the OL. But what is Dino's plan? We were more of a passing team his first 4 years. Then in year 6, we were a running team. Year 7 we went back to being a passing team. This year we started off being a passing team and have now gone back to a running team. It feels like he is all over the place. How do you have an identity or recruit to a system when that keeps changing? Dino needs to commit to something. Hard to have any consistency otherwise.
Dino had a talent advantage at both EIU and BGU as well a system novelty advantage at both of those stops. He has neither at Syracuse. I don't believe he, or most other coaches, would be able to recruit, portal and or retain the type of talent needed to have a "modern" offense at Syracuse. There are many QB's like Dungey, Shrader, Villari available who would be thrilled to run that kind of offense, which I call a pro-set wildcat. Also because it;s not based on timing passes and passing in general, you can platoon QB's more and keep guys fresh and less prone to injury. The QB just has to have a good sense of the rpo and make some throws to open guys.

You know what's funny - for 5 straight weeks we get crickets out of this type of position/perspective because the team looked like hot garbage on the field and Dino looked like he couldn't coach an intramural flag football team.

Something like this gets put together out of desperation (by the way a position we should no way, shape or form have ever been in if he was actually doing his job competently) and all of a sudden it's an example of how good a coach he is? You literally can't make this crap up.

I'm happy for the team that they put on a gutsy performance and won a game with a one dimensional offense but using that as some sort of justification to retain Dino is a complete joke.

Rarely do I feel the need to just come on the board and post; it typically is in response to another post. In any event after yesterday's game I feel I really was encouraged to do this.

First and foremost, I also want to give a huge congratulations and thanks to Dino Babers and staff for literarily coming up with this game plan on the fly. There was so much trickery and formations to keep the Pitt defense from truly keying in out runners, almost like what Paul Johnson, I believe, used to run at maybe Georgia Tech. Ferocious and brutal. For Dino to do this on the fly with Beck is amazing. If you did not notice, a lot of the RPO formations were from Dungey's senior year. He knew Schrader had to be a decoy and involved because our other young quarterback, simply would not have been able to do this in my opinion from an RPO standpoint. Villari was the quarterback, Schrader was the decoy and tertiary runner. Truly brilliant with LA keeping the defense honest.

So for all of the Naysayers saying that Dino cannot coach I tell them to watch this game. Will it work again, probably not without more trickery unless we can truly physically dominate which we actually did. Secondarily, DB obviously new that Garrett could not even lift his arm, I suspect that happened before the Clemson game, I certainly could speculate medically no need. What a teamate, like I said before Dino overestimated his ability to recruit, specifically a more talented first-line especially at WR, OL , however depth positions throughout. All coaches have warts. His are more evident because of the dearth of depth.

Lastly, no matter what occurs, I appreciate DB as a human being. So much has been said, however, his kids never gave up and fought for him. I honestly find it so challenging personally to read what specific writers verbalize about Dino in their paper and then come into a press conference and still be treated with dignity, certainly not perfection, but dignity. I honestly have heard Brent Axe talk about how he would give his approval or disapproval in relation to certain aspects of this team in relation to game planning, play calling. Then, literarily, attempt to assassinate someone's intellect. I know more about football that he ever dreamed, I assure you. Babers is a brilliant mind, he however obviously has some challenges... I trust, all were able to see the primary quarterback is literarily incapable of throwing the ball, his running even prior to yesterday was compromised. Our backup was used with significant challenges in relation to incorporation, he is young, also with receivers having difficulty creating any separation off of the line. Axe acknowledges none of this, he is not capable, He however in my opinion is an absolute vulture of a human being. From an ethical standpoint morally corrupt, and I personally feel he is not fit to write for the local town newspaper. I strongly believe he should be removed from his job with censorship secondary to his deficiencies in all regards. That is his constitutional right? Yes how would we do it? How about boycotting that paper, I encourage you to write the post standard about his blatant disregard for what is supposed to be held in regard. I am not interested in his editorials that are entirely misinformed with minimal insider knowledge. Dear Brent, how about writing about the culture Dino has attempted to establish in a difficult environment, how his kids would not quit on him, and most importantly tell us what you think about this game plan as as it regarded Pittsburgh, essentially on the fly, I do not expect to hear anything good from you, ever. As you have Liberty, so do I, you are a poor human. You seek weakness and pounce. I would be concerned about your entire life, that sounds about right... Then just stop clicking and reading, poor Emily, as well. You seemed a little torn initially, sadly it seems to be a little easier for you now. I actually feel sorry for you, that is a tough job. I am done. Now on to the most important thing.

Lastly, no matter what I believe, the truly invested people are fighting for this program, we now know we cannot lie about what it is going to take to play competitive, potentially not elite football. I truly wish the commitment that is there now was there in year 1, I think we would see much different results with better positioning to stay competitive in the NIL age. I could say so much more, I appreciate all of the kind, good-hearted Syracuse sports fans that realize that Syracuse University is truly a special place for all. Go Orange
We shouldn't have had to been in a position to run that game plan against Pitt in the first place. Period. There is more to being a HC of a P5 program than being a nice guy and having the players like you. GRob was an outstanding person and we won 10 games in 4 years.

At the end of the day if you need reminders go look at Dino’s W-L ACC record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom