my two cents | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
Got to Manley late as it was hard to leave the lake. Had a breakfast wrap and walked over the JMA. Beautiful day and a really good crowd. Two taps took a picture with the guys and off to 321. Settled in next to a family with their daughter shared some ideas on what to do on Sunday and sat back expecting to spend most of the day getting a look at our depth.

Game starts off well although I'm concerned that we can't run block. Still 21 pretty quick points from a bunch of guys that don't seem motivated and I'm ok with it. Tom and everyone else have pointed out our issues so I won't dwell on them as its wash rinse and repeat. No run blocking, LA is a very good football player, but he lacks the speed and quickness to run the ball effectively behind an OL that can't hold their blocks and doesn't get to the second level.

I thought McCord played ok. I would give him a B. yes, he threw for a ton and made some great throws, but he also missed on many passes and didn't seem as sharp as I'm used to.

The D was again ok. Not sure what the game plan was but i think what we are seeing is what we are going to get the rest of the way. I believe this is going to be a bend don't break D. One that takes minimal risk and plays the long game. Our Frosh DE needs to play more as he has to be accounted for. Not sure about the posters that say he is too light and or needs more strength as to my eyes he certainly passes the look and on field test. I was impressed with him and hope he gets more run. Barron and McDonald played a solid game not sure about the guys behind them. Again, we really miss wax. The little that I saw of Johnson leads me to hope that our true frosh can get it done next year or we better to hope to land a kid from the Portal. I felt he looked slow running, and his arm is ok, but it will be a major drop off from Kyle.

Meeks is a baller, Hatcher is getting better, and I believe that our frosh are going to be good next year, so WR is in good shape. Willis looks to be the power back Hopefully the speedster from Jersey sticks around as we need speed at that RB position, and he seems to be the only one on the roster that fills that void.

The kicking game needs major help. I like the new kid better as he gets the ball up quickly. Brady is more of a line drive hitter. Leave him on Kick offs and turn the reigns over to the newbie for PTs and field goals. Punting is solid our return group is ok.

Not sure who is snapping the ball but he either needs to be replaced or get better as the low snaps accounted in large part for the misses.

What I learned yesterday is that we have a team that is one dimensional on O and will remain that way for the rest of the year. Passing is going to have to set up the run as it will not be the other way around. On D we can hang but we will never dominate. This is a team that is going to have to outscore or opponents. I see us giving up in the 20s or more each game so we need to score in the 30s. I also see a team that is going to need a QB next year to take advantage of our strength which is and will be our WR group.

UNLV will tell us a ton about the remainder of the season. At this point i think that given the actual strength of the teams we still play which is much harder than anticipated a 7-win season is solid anything else is a bonus.

Hope we get the walking wounded back and hope that we get a few breaks next Friday as we are going to need them,

Go Orange.

The KJE “hate” is simply ridiculous.

As I said in a previous thread, I watched him go in against the 1s and put pressure on the QB every single play and got 3 sacks.

Enough said, get him playing time
He needs more time for sure. Another thought is put him at Edge and move Diggs to LB if we play run heavy teams

Thanks to both you and tomcat for your summaries. Honest analysis that is fun to read.

Has there been any update on Wax ? He’s obviously a key missing piece for this D.

The KJE “hate” is simply ridiculous.

As I said in a previous thread, I watched him go in against the 1s and put pressure on the QB every single play and got 3 sacks.

Enough said, get him playing time
He made his case for more PT

1727631970482.gif

UNLV will have their branding irons out, trying to get a reputation by taking down and ACC team. I get the feeling the way we played in the second quarter and continued to play after his halftime speech that he's isn't quite getting through to this team yet and that could be bad news against a highly motivated team. I remember what it's like to see us play a higher motivated team that was more ready to play:

UNLV will have their branding irons out, trying to get a reputation by taking down and ACC team. I get the feeling the way we played in the second quarter and continued to play after his halftime speech that he's isn't quite getting through to this team yet and that could be bad news against a highly motivated team. I remember what it's like to see us play a higher motivated team that was more ready to play:

Talk about SU PTSD

Thanks to both you and tomcat for your summaries. Honest analysis that is fun to read.

Has there been any update on Wax ? He’s obviously a key missing piece for this D.
Yes. Coach said this week he is on track for the original expected 6 weeks. Been in a walking boot now for a couple of weeks. Progressing.

Yes. Coach said this week he is on track for the original expected 6 weeks. Been in a walking boot now for a couple of weeks. Progressing.
He was in sneakers (no boot) yesterday but he stilled seemed to have a slight limp to his gait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom