My Two Pennies Worth...... | Syracusefan.com

My Two Pennies Worth......

newmexicuse

All Conference
Though it was disappointing that we kept jumping out to 15 point leads & couldn't put them away, I loved the fact that somebody different stepped up at various times to put a stop to their runs whenever they got to within five.

Dirty - He had a great game. His shot is on fire this season. He looks a lot like Steve Novak. Lot's of mention by the announcers about how Ark. did not get out on him, but several of his shots were from a couple of feet beyond the arc & were at or near NBA trey range, so maybe that is easier said than done. All that being said, his game is still one dimensional & teams that pay attention to him will be able to limit his production, though that should open up the floor for others.

MCW - Wow, he gets to the hoop at will. His little teardrop shot is unstoppable. He sees the floor with incredible vision. He boards & he defends. He is only 5 games into his starting role. If he can cut his TOs & show a J (as the announcer said) he might go high lotto. let's enjoy him now - he will be gonzo.

CJ - totally typical game for him. Nuttin else to say.

Brandon - He personally stopped one of their runs by getting 8 straight points. Very solid 17-3-3-4 game, but somehow, I think he can still be better than he has shown.

BMK - At this point - our best center. Nobody has mentioned, but I thought his jump shot off the glass was the single most important play of the game. It stopped one of their runs & the nature of the shot said - "this is our night - not yours."

X & DC2 - Bye, bye Dakari - these two aren't going anywhere at the end of this season. Both are works in progress that need college seasoning & should not be drafted at this point in time. X has limited skills and DC2 has limited athleticism. I wish we could merge the two into one body.

Cooney - Wow, so much criticism of this kid. He played a solid floor game. He only took one bad shot. He hustles hard & plays good D. He is pressing to impress. Once he calms down & lets the game come to him his shot will fall. He has the stroke. I think it will happen sooner rather than later, but happen it will.

Jerami - Gone in the blink of an eye....his time will come, but not this season.

The D - Lot's of complaining about the refs, but I see too much reaching & too little moving of the feet to get into position, particularly with our in the paint D. I expect this to improve as the season progresses. It better because we only really have 8 guys who will play & we can't afford this type of foul trouble.

Loved that Mike was able to score consistently on those floaters and layups, but let's not pretend that that's something he's done regularly. He had as many of those fall last night as he did in his entire career up to that point.

But it was fantastic that he was able to adjust to the defense and take advantage by taking it to the hoop. He's just as valuable scoring as he is passing, if that's what the defense gives him.

We were bad on defense last night against a team that doesn't shoot it well. We have to do a better job stopping penetration and getting over screens. CJ's defense has not been as good as last year. Too much reaching and not getting our butts down on defense. It's not as noticeable when you had Fab back there blocking everything. Coleman has no presence on defense and Christmas stands up too much. This team can learn a lot from last nights game.

Loved that Mike was able to score consistently on those floaters and layups, but let's not pretend that that's something he's done regularly. He had as many of those fall last night as he did in his entire career up to that point.

Did you forget the SD State game? He scored on a variety of foul lane floaters that day, too.

Did you forget the SD State game? He scored on a variety of foul lane floaters that day, too.

Yep, that day marked Mike's second-highest total of floaters ever.

It's a new toy for him; we saw little or none of that last year. Great to see his success with it yesterday. Scoop made a living off that shot; ability to hit two-thirds of those would complement Mike's passing ability nicely.

Not to take anything away from MCW but their guards were small and their only big man didn't play for long stretches. Once MCW got in the lane it was all over. Credit him though, against smaller/quicker guards he was able to get a step on them and creates space to the hoop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom