My view of the Miami game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My view of the Miami game

Isn't rebounding a part of defense?

Agree. If Rak rebounds like he did the last 4-5 minutes of the Miami game from here on out, Keita's only going to be in there when Rak needs a blow or is in foul trouble. Christmas really doesn't need to do anything else to justify his presence on the floor over Keita's. The tricky bit is getting him to play that well every game. The last two games make me hopeful, though.

When the ball comes of the rim it is a loose ball. There is no offense or defense, it is recorded as an offensive or defensive rebound to denote change of possession. This is why a team can be a good defensive and not a good rebounding team. Rebounding is like special teams in football not really offensive or defensive.

I respectfully beg to differ. It's a mindset thing for me from when I coached: "If you don't have the ball, you're on defense until you get it back." If the ball's up on the rim, you defend your man by boxing him out. If you can't rebound, you're not a good defensive team. Oh, you may be tough and tenacious, but if you can't rebound the ball, all your defensive effort is lost. Because you play D to get the ball back. But maybe that's just me. :)

Last edited:
I respectfully beg to differ. It's a mindset thing for me from when I coached: "If you don't have the ball, you're on defense until you get it back." If the ball's up on the rim, you defend your man by boxing him out. If you can't rebound, you're not a good defensive team. Oh, you may be tough and tenacious, but if you can't rebound the ball, all your defensive effort is lost. Because you play D to get the ball back. But maybe that's just me. :)

I understand your mind set and that is fine, but per the rules of the games a ball coming off the rim is a loose ball and that is why whomever gains possession of the ball gets a new shot clock. It is why the rebounding battle is total rebounds not just defensive rebounds. What people fail to see is how many shots are missed because of Baye defense and it is the reason why our best rebounder doesn't play a lot when healthy....you can't rebound a made shot.

I'm not saying Kieta is awful defensively, I just think the difference between him in there and Rak is not the huge difference that people are making it out to be.

If BMK was hands down the better defender, no way Rak is in there for more minutes than him per game, and no way Rak is finishing games off with BMK on the bench.
Rak I'm sure is in there for hands and foul shooting , at the end of games, over BMK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom