Nassib and Pugh in the 1st round? Recruiting Impact! | Syracusefan.com

Nassib and Pugh in the 1st round? Recruiting Impact!

Van111

Starter
How huge would this be for the program, to have a potential 2 players go in the first round of the NFL draft? Both were 2 stars. Am I over thinking this? IMO, this could solidify our chances to breaking the top 30 in recruiting this year...plus 1! When was the last time SU had 2 go in the first round? Let alone, first round selections in back to back years too! Thoughts?

I predict that Buffalo will try to trade down and that leaves a wild card out there, the NYJ who are sitting with 2 picks right after the Bills. Yes, both guys could drop to 2nd, which still isn't bad, but I predict Nassib at 8th (no later than early 2nd round) and Pugh to either the Giants or StL in the later 1st round. But how special would it be to have 2 first round picks and have the Cuse high lighted like that on Draft Night. If I missed a previous thread on this, what can I say. But to me, this is an important night for the program, BOL Justin and Ryan!

Not to be "that guy" but I don't think having two 1st round picks will impact recruiting much. It certainly won't hurt anything. The attention and exposure is good. I'm just not sure the dividends will be huge.

St. Louis will not be drafting Pugh at #22. I hope Pugh is able to be a first rounder but I don't see it. If Buffalo successfully trades down into the later parts of the first round, then Nassib is a sure fire choice to be a first rounder.

It'll help recruiting in NCAA 14.
My feeling too bnoro...we deserve some good press too. Here's to a big night for these two, and Shmarko as well as a surprise 3rd rounder!

St. Louis will not be drafting Pugh at #22. I hope Pugh is able to be a first rounder but I don't see it. If Buffalo successfully trades down into the later parts of the first round, then Nassib is a sure fire choice to be a first rounder.
if the first 2 OT's go early as expected, and this draft being what it is, Pugh should go in the 1st, just based off his ability to play anywhere on the line. Look how the Cuse improved after he came back this year, it was not by coincidence that we were able to start running like that. Pugh is a savy player, short arms or not.

The short arms are killing Pugh. I've even seen some stories of people thinking he translates better as a guard and this is the deepest guard draft class in some time. He was a big part of saving our whole season. I'm all for Pugh getting picked in the first round and I'm rooting for him. But, if I'm being realistic, I don't see him getting drafted in the first round. I will happily eat crow if he does, that would be great for the program like you explained in your original post.

The short arms are killing Pugh. I've even seen some stories of people thinking he translates better as a guard and this is the deepest guard draft class in some time. He was a big part of saving our whole season. I'm all for Pugh getting picked in the first round and I'm rooting for him. But, if I'm being realistic, I don't see him getting drafted in the first round. I will happily eat crow if he does, that would be great for the program like you explained in your original post.
Raw or cooked? Crow that is.....

[When was the last time SU had 2 go in the first round? Let alone, first round selections in back to back years too! Thoughts?]
Draft Trivia: I discovered this answer. Syracuse has had 2 first round picks in the same year only 1 time in their history? 1998, Donovin Darrius and Tebucky Jones...nice story in the post today.

How huge would this be for the program, to have a potential 2 players go in the first round of the NFL draft? Both were 2 stars. Am I over thinking this? IMO, this could solidify our chances to breaking the top 30 in recruiting this year...plus 1! When was the last time SU had 2 go in the first round? Let alone, first round selections in back to back years too! Thoughts?

I predict that Buffalo will try to trade down and that leaves a wild card out there, the NYJ who are sitting with 2 picks right after the Bills. Yes, both guys could drop to 2nd, which still isn't bad, but I predict Nassib at 8th (no later than early 2nd round) and Pugh to either the Giants or StL in the later 1st round. But how special would it be to have 2 first round picks and have the Cuse high lighted like that on Draft Night. If I missed a previous thread on this, what can I say. But to me, this is an important night for the program, BOL Justin and Ryan!
And don't forget that Shamarko could go as early as the second...pretty impressive.

Recruiting impact will be negligible.

As it relates to QB's, Syracuse's starting QB would have already committed before Nassib was a 1st rounder for this year and the future (D. Allen/Wilson/Kimble/Long).

As it relates to OL's, completely different staff at position. Eluemunor and Mavety aren't making their decision based on that. Otherwise, we better watch out for Central Michigan on the recruiting trail!

Recruiting impact will be negligible.

As it relates to QB's, Syracuse's starting QB would have already committed before Nassib was a 1st rounder for this year and the future (D. Allen/Wilson/Kimble/Long).

As it relates to OL's, completely different staff at position. Eluemunor and Mavety aren't making their decision based on that. Otherwise, we better watch out for Central Michigan on the recruiting trail!

It already had an impact on this class ... listen to the Drew Allen interview.

It already had an impact on this class ... listen to the Drew Allen interview.

Glennon is a likely first/second rounder as well. So, for that to be a determining factor over NC State is distinctly false.

Allen didn't make his decision because Nassib is a likely first rounder, he made the decision b/c he has a chance (I personally think more of a chance) to be a starting QB for a team with a better supporting cast then NC State.

Glennon is a likely first/second rounder as well. So, for that to be a determining factor over NC State is distinctly false.

Allen didn't make his decision because Nassib is a likely first rounder, he made the decision b/c he has a chance (I personally think more of a chance) to be a starting QB for a team with a better supporting cast then NC State.

Again listen to the interview .. he specifically mentioned Nassib's stock shooting up significantly, it didn't go un-noticed.

I think our offensive style was a factor also.

Again listen to the interview .. he specifically mentioned Nassib's stock shooting up significantly, it didn't go un-noticed.

Do you agree that if he went to NC State, he would have mentioned Mike Glennon shooting up draft boards?

You can believe Nassib was a key reason, but Glennon is similarly regarded as Nassib (Kiper lists Nassib 3 and Glennon 4 at last check). So, to think that Nassib shooting up draft boards with a completely different offensive staff had a tangible effect on his decision, I am not sure what to say.

Those type of things tend to come out after a commitment.

It is like the Harrison brothers after they committed to Kentucky (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-twin-recruits-aaron-harrison-andrew-harrison):

"Also, Coach Calipari did not guarantee anything and we liked that."

Yep, didn't guarantee anything except for that cash money in your account.

This is really silly. Of course it matters. Have you seen the Manley updates? Recruiting is almost all about being the right step into the NFL. Syracuse will use the rise of a 2 star QB who became a top round draft pick in EVERY conversation with future QB recruits.

Negligible. Sheesh.

Do you agree that if he went to NC State, he would have mentioned Mike Glennon shooting up draft boards?

You can believe Nassib was a key reason, but Glennon is similarly regarded as Nassib (Kiper lists Nassib 3 and Glennon 4 at last check). So, to think that Nassib shooting up draft boards with a completely different offensive staff had a tangible effect on his decision, I am not sure what to say.

Those type of things tend to come out after a commitment.

It is like the Harrison brothers after they committed to Kentucky (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-twin-recruits-aaron-harrison-andrew-harrison):

"Also, Coach Calipari did not guarantee anything and we liked that."

Yep, didn't guarantee anything except for that cash money in your account.

Apples and Oranges ... Glennon was higher on draft boards last season and is mainly there because of his physical attributes ... Nassib was a two star guy who blew up his senior year and first year in this offensive system Allen is walking into ... not even comparable ... honestly? Glennon's stock took a hit by returning ... Nassib not so much ...

Pretty spot on I would say with this call guys, except Marrone bailed on us once again. Real SU guy! LOL

Does Jacksonville take Nassib or Geno with the next pick? I say Yes to one of them.

Does Jacksonville take Nassib or Geno with the next pick? I say Yes to one of them.
I think Jax goes barkley.

I think Jax goes barkley.
I am hoping that Nassib ends up at the Jets, not that I am a Jets fan, but that he would be head to head against Buffalo each year. As far as Jacksonville goe, yjey pick a QB unless they are crazy with #33

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom