Nassib | Syracusefan.com

Nassib

Ithacaorange

Scout Team
I agree he is playing well, but he still needs to improve his accuracy going downfield. He overthrew Stevens by a little which should have been a TD, and he grossly under threw, and completely missed chew by throwing it in the wrong direction in 1st H that should have been 6 as well.

Yep. HCDM said in the post-game presser that the game plan was to throw the ball, and the emphasis all week was on starting fast and playing up tempo. Nassib had a career day statistically, and he is a good college quarterback. He also has a lot of room for improvement which is exciting, but also somewhat frustrating because we continue to see bits of his potential.

The pick on the first possession was an overthrown ball. The pressure came from the middle. Chibane pulled a double team with Macky, and the Rhody D-lineman simply engaged both blockers and did a spin move to his right and ran free towards Nassib. More of a speed move than the O-line being blown up. Nassib felt the pressure, and this is an area where I believe he struggles just like most QBs. The safe throw in that situation was to check down and hit Bailey underneath. I think HCDM said in the presser that the deep throw was also open. I can't help but think that Nassib forced that throw which sailed high in part because of the emphasis to start fast. But that is no excuse. The only way to start fast is to take what the defense gives you.

Nassib has all of the tools, but he will reach his potential more consistently with more experience especially in the mental area of his game. He knows this offense inside and out, and we saw that in the second half against Wake. He's ready for another breakthrough performance seeing the field under pressure, and I hope it comes against USC.

I agree he is playing well, but he still needs to improve his accuracy going downfield. He overthrew Stevens by a little which should have been a TD, and he grossly under threw, and completely missed chew by throwing it in the wrong direction in 1st H that should have been 6 as well.
He did overthrow Stevens, but I'm surprised Stevens didn't lay out for it. Seemed like a catchable ball at the time, and seemed even more catchable on the replay this morning.

The sack of Nassib on the drive near the end of the 3rd quarter. The Rhody D-end made a nice inside move on Pugh who plays left OT, and Pugh recovered nicely riding the D-end into the pocket. The Rhody DB on Nassib's left blitzed which left Stevens wide open in the left flat. Nassib reacted to the Rhody D-end. I'm not sure if he saw the DB coming from the same direction, but he certainly felt it. Unfortunately, Nassib turned right and moved into the pocket. I think they've been working with him to step up into the pocket. If he had seen the DB blitzing he probably would have thrown to Stevens. Good play Rhody, as they managed to get pressure coming from the middle and the right side, so when Nassib stepped into the pocket he stepped into more pressure, albeit slower to develop. The advantage was in the left flat to Stevens.

Next play, 3rd and something like 15, was a screen set up for Bailey and he ran back into the middle of the field and was lucky not to be stripped of the ball from behind.

The Stevens throw was really close, it happens to every QB. The first Chew throw was bad, but the next one, the 62 yarder was very good. And the 25 yard TD throw to Chew was also a great throw. Not a deep ball but certainly a down the field pass.

I just love that we're opening it up on offense and taking shots. Ryan missed a few, but its there, he just needs to nail those throws in the future.

Having a run game would be nice though ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

I think one problem Nassib has is he doesn't put enough air under the ball sometimes. If he puts more air under the one to Stevens then Stevens can run under it and make the catch. Whenever Nassib throws a deep ball it is normally thrown too far because it doesn't have enough touch on it. It's still nice to know that we have a quarterback with a strong arm so we can take shots down field. If Nassib puts more air under the ball and allows recievers to run under the ball then there will be many more long completions.

I think one problem Nassib has is he doesn't put enough air under the ball sometimes. If he puts more air under the one to Stevens then Stevens can run under it and make the catch. Whenever Nassib throws a deep ball it is normally thrown too far because it doesn't have enough touch on it. It's still nice to know that we have a quarterback with a strong arm so we can take shots down field. If Nassib puts more air under the ball and allows recievers to run under the ball then there will be many more long completions.

This was also a weakness of McNabb early on. By the time he was a senior, he was putting a lot of air under his deep throws and it paid off. Nassib does get some good air under some of his deep throws but I think the Stevens play, he probably got excited at how open he was and just rushed it a little. He does have a good, strong arm, though, which is nice.

They still aren't opening it up enough yet. Chew and Lemon have been beating their guys. It would be nice to see Dorian and Kobena on fly routes.