Navy & the Acc | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Navy & the Acc

Why does LAX need an auto bid? pretty much every ACC team makes the tourney every year. An auto bid doesn't matter to SU, MD, Duke, NC, or UVA.
The reason for the auto-bid is that if conference winners accumulate over half of the 16 bids in the Tournament then the NCAA committee would be forced to expand the tournament so that weaker teams from weak conferences don't prevent worthy at-large teams from getting and all 5 ACC teams from getting in the tournament. The UVA coach was talking about in the an interview linked over on the Lax board.

And please, no partial members. Just an all-sports conference. PLEASE.

This ^. I despised nothing more than the 8-16 configuration of this league the last 7 years.

The reason for the auto-bid is that if conference winners accumulate over half of the 16 bids in the Tournament then the NCAA committee would be forced to expand the tournament so that weaker teams from weak conferences don't prevent worthy at-large teams from getting and all 5 ACC teams from getting in the tournament. The UVA coach was talking about in the an interview linked over on the Lax board.
Thanks for clarifying.

Not sure if this idea has been posted anywhere, but heard some radio commentators talking about this yesterday. Given the special relationship that ND and Navy have, could they possibly be invited to the Acc as a lure to bring ND into the fold? Great academics; fits the footprint; national stature; not a threat to MD or the basketball programs; adds another "more" northern school to balance possible divisions or pods. I like the idea personally.

Here's the problem with ACC expansion.

VT and FSU and to an extent Clemson ("the football schools") are not thrilled with SU and Pitt being added. VT especially and they DO NOT want to be in a division with ex BE teams. Now the ACC has to be careful on who they add as those schools are perceiving SU and Pitt to be basketball adds and want a football school. ND fits that bill and should be enough to keep them from talking to the SEC which they probably already are and have been doing. If the ACC adds UConn, Rutgers or Louisville/USF I would not be surprised to see those football schools want out. I'm not sure if Miami feels this way but it's possible they do as well. I'm not so sure it's a northern problem so much as a football school issue or an extended BE league thing.

I have no problem taking Navy, if that is what it takes to get Notre Dame, but I can't imagine the ACC taking Navy in the hopes that it might lure Notre Dame. It would have to be one of those scenarios where they both come together or not at all.

Not sure if this idea has been posted anywhere, but heard some radio commentators talking about this yesterday. Given the special relationship that ND and Navy have, could they possibly be invited to the Acc as a lure to bring ND into the fold? Great academics; fits the footprint; national stature; not a threat to MD or the basketball programs; adds another "more" northern school to balance possible divisions or pods. I like the idea personally.
ND liked Navy because they were once a guaranteed win. If the Merchant Marine had a football team, ND would drop Navy in a heartbeat.

What,,,a big what if but what if Maryland wants to go and if there's been dialog to the B1G, would the ACC want to stay in the state and Navy would keep them there that is a long as ND goes to the ACC as well?