NBA discussing age limit increase | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NBA discussing age limit increase

Would players stay in college or jump to the d-league?
My sense is only the real academic problem children and those that need cash for their baby Mama or other family issue would go D League.

Last edited:
$25,500 isn't much but for a high school grad, it's the equivalent of a full time job of 40 hours a week for 52 weeks at over $12 an hour playing a sport they love for 4 and a half months. It's also the base salary for Triple A baseball players. (Double and single A are lower).

I work in baseball and I really have no idea where that # for the base salary for AAA baseball players comes from.

Here is one search engine look:
http://www.ask.com/question/what-is...baseball-player-2010-with-12-years-experience

The base salary of a AAA baseball player is much closer to 40,000 then 25,000. While your guys in their drafted system that make it to AAA may make 25,000 a year, they are offset by the minor league free agents and players on the 40 man roster but in AAA, who usually make that 65 to 70K.

A baseball player can make a comfortable living as a AAA minor league free agent.

The problem with the athletes being paid for IP rights and autograph sessions has more to do with recruiting being a level playing field than anything else. Imagine how much boosters would pay for a kid's autograph. It wouldn't take long for recruits to know exactly which school has the deepest pockets.

No offense but it's not a level playing field now. How many schools are building 15 million dollar practice facilities? The P5 schools are on another level and the gap is only going to widen.

If the NBDL can offer salaries in the 50k to 100k range then kids could choose to go college or play in the NBDL until they were 21 years old.
I like Jason Whitlock's idea better.
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebas...tes-can-work-if-you-follow-these-steps-041013

Here’s my project/proposal for Adam Silver, the NCAA and the NBA players association. This proposal is strictly for men’s college basketball. It’s a yearly $60 million proposal that should be split 50-50 between the NBA and the NCAA.
Step 1: Get the NBPA to agree to change the draft eligibility requirements to four years after you graduated from high school or age 22.
Step 3: The NBA and the NCAA — through scouting, recommendations and high school academic achievement — identify the top 100 high school seniors entering college basketball. Enroll those 100 players in the NBA Summer Internship Program that pays them $100,000 each. The players would receive half the money in two checks received at the start of each semester. The other half would be invested conservatively by the NCAA/NBA and given to player upon the completion of his four years of eligibility.
Step 4: The initial 100 class will be trimmed to 75 when they become sophomores. All college basketball sophomores at any level will be eligible to apply for the NBA SIP. The NBA and the NCAA — through scouting, recommendations and academic achievement as a college freshman — will identify the 75 sophomores. They will be ranked 1 to 75 based primarily on their NBA prospects but also on their academic achievement. The top 25 sophomores will be paid $175,000. The next 50 will be paid $125,000. Again, they’ll receive half of their money in two checks at the beginning of each semester. The other half of their money will be invested conservatively by the NCAA/NBA and given to the player upon the completion of his four years of eligibility.
Step 5: The following year the NCAA/NBA will identify 75 juniors using the same criteria. Everything will remain the same except the top 25 juniors will earn $275,000 and the next 50 will get $225,000.
Step 6: The senior class will be trimmed to 50. The top 25 receive $500,000 and the next 25 receive $350,000. Everything else remains the same.
By Year 4 of my system, there are 300 basketball players — 100 freshmen, 75 sophomores and juniors and 50 seniors — enrolled in the NBA SIP. That’s a payroll right around $60 million. It’s a bargain for the NBA and the NCAA. Instead of having unprepared, no-passionate-fans kids tying up space on an NBA roster, NBA owners would get 22-year-old TV stars and superstars entering their league. The NCAA and its television partners would get ratings-driving stars in their sophomore, junior and senior seasons.
College coaches wouldn’t lose their leverage over their best players. They would get kids incentivized to embrace the academic process and coaching because academic achievement and recommendations would play a role in whether a player could enroll in the NBA SIP. A player would be very reluctant to transfer because he wouldn’t be eligible for the NBA SIP during the year he sat out as a transfer. If a player ran into academic trouble and needed summer school, it would prevent him from participating in the NBA SIP.
The kids would benefit because the best players would earn $1 million over four years and half of it would be conservatively invested and given to them as they entered the workforce. They would also benefit from the chance to mature on a college campus.
Obviously, this plan would need to be refined and safeguards would have to be put in place to protect the athlete. I’d make the athletes sign an agreement forbidding them from taking out any loans (or co-signing) during their four years in college. No credit cards, either. You would want a wall to protect them from themselves and predatory lenders.
As for the non-NBA prospects and role players? I say grant any Division I player who doesn’t qualify for the NBA SIP as a junior or senior a fifth year of playing eligibility and one year as a full-time traditional student. That’s right. Six years of school. Many of the athletes arrive on campus academically unprepared. Why not give them two extra years to catch up? And why not give the prepared ones, two years to work on a graduate degree?
As much as I regret not playing football my fifth year at Ball State (and I deeply regret it), the chance to spend one year as a legitimate full-time student has paid off for me tremendously. I worked for the school newspaper and actually made good grades. All of these athletes, particularly at age 22 or 23 when they might appreciate it, deserve one year on campus solely as a student.

Help me out here:

- Why on step 2, would shoe companies pay for that? What benefit do they get? As I see it, they actually lose money b/c you are restricting their access.

- Step 3, you are talking about 60 million in payroll only. You are forgetting things such as air fare to location, hiring the numerous support staff, paying referees, etc. This is at least a 100 million dollar investment. All for what would essentially be a 3 month program. I don't know anyone that would sign off on that.

I laugh at things like invested conservatively and selection based on academic achievement. Just b/c a guy gets an A at boll weeving at Kentucky, he will come to this event!

Lets just say there is no entity out there that would give 100 million dollars for this program. NBA TV is your only outlet that would pay for that (and that is b/c they wouldn't have to pay for the rights to broadcast).

The 5th year and 6th year is amongst the dumber recommendations I have ever read. Title IX would have a field day with that.

If a HS kid goes to the D League they can also get endorsement money. How much do you think Adidas would have paid Wiggins this year? The top players are still going to be getting 6 and 7 figures even it they play 2 years in Rio Grande.

No offense but it's not a level playing field now. How many schools are building 15 million dollar practice facilities? The P5 schools are on another level and the gap is only going to widen.
I realize that and knew someone would point it out, but it would be much worse if boosters could openly pay athletes.

I would have the Universities buy the kids autographs and then sell them at their gift shops/bookstores etc. Their are ways to have it done on the level. I get your point though. I mean boosters right now are how John Calipari is able to pay the luxury tax at Kentucky each year.
Would there be limits on the number of autographs that could be sold? If not boosters would get around by buying 10,000 or so.

I'm sure you'll see some, and that's fine. Higher education isn't a place where everyone can be happy.

That said, I do hope the D-League would become a little more higher ed-like if they do move the age requirement up. I've heard about the teams getting partnerships set up with local universities and community colleges to offer courses on personal finance, health and nutrition, sports management, etc. I think that makes a lot of sense in terms of working both in the best interests of the players, as well as the NBA making good investments in their future.
This is exactly what the D league needs to do.
Not everyone is cut out for college. Some of our own kids may not be college material. It is unfair to say you have to go to college to play in the NBA. There needs to be another option.
Maybe the D league needs to have a cap on how many "out of hs" players they can have. Still want to push players who can handle it towards college. But don't put a square peg in a round hole for some of the kids.
Also by going through the D league younger players can get life skills as you mentioned such as how to invest their money, pay bills, be responsible etc., or they can take cc courses or courses in non basketball power house colleges where they can excel better in studies. This way there is another option for someone who maybe has a learning disability or is just not a very good student, and they can be set up where they can succeed better. Yet they all get the same chance for the big time in the end.

Agreed...I'd rather take the free room and board with no real expenses with a great program than work for peanuts and struggle to pay the bills.

And get a free college education

"According to multiple sources, a proposed plan that is circulating now would see the age limit extended from its current position — one year after high school graduation — to three years, essentially barring most players from entering the NBA until they are 20 or 21.

The sources said that, in order to pave the way for raising the age limit, the league would be willing to expand salaries in the D-League, giving each team a salary cap and allowing executives with each team to sign players as they wish. Not only would that allow D-League teams to sign good young players, it would allow NBA clubs to size up young executives and player evaluators."

This would have to be negotiated with the union.

I pulled this from NBC sport stalk.

This would be tremendous for basketball. Fingers crossed that this gets some traction.

don't hold your breath, because this is the key clause:

This would have to be negotiated with the union.

The current collective bargaining agreement between ownership and the players' union, negotiated in 2011, is set to run for 10 years, with a possible renegotiation in 2017. So nothing will change until the end of the 2017-18 season, at the earliest.

This is exactly what the D league needs to do.
Not everyone is cut out for college. Some of our own kids may not be college material. It is unfair to say you have to go to college to play in the NBA. There needs to be another option.
Maybe the D league needs to have a cap on how many "out of hs" players they can have. Still want to push players who can handle it towards college. But don't put a square peg in a round hole for some of the kids.
Also by going through the D league younger players can get life skills as you mentioned such as how to invest their money, pay bills, be responsible etc., or they can take cc courses or courses in non basketball power house colleges where they can excel better in studies. This way there is another option for someone who maybe has a learning disability or is just not a very good student, and they can be set up where they can succeed better. Yet they all get the same chance for the big time in the end.

This is my feeling as well. Why should a kid who is good at basketball, but not at school, be held back from going to the D-league or NBA (on rare occasion--if good enough)?