NBA is wrong | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NBA is wrong

Jeez, these threads on here about the NBA -- it is so far supeior to the college game it's not even worth debating.
Thank you, very intelligent comment.. Have got to be joking. One of the poorest of poor displays of garbage I have ever read. This entire "thread."

upload_2018-5-7_7-43-7.png

When you ask mom about the safety features of the front passenger seat.

Why are there even 30 teams in the nba? There are a total of three teams capable of winning. Sick league. Does not come close to the excitement level of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

I will say as someone that's a huge NBA fan and greatly prefers the NBA over college game, I do struggle with this. The last few years in which everyone was simply waiting for Golden State and Cleveland to play each other again was pretty boring for me even while my team had a young superstar blossoming before our eyes (Giannis). It's been somewhat better this year; Cleveland was a pretty average team in the East for 90% of the year but Toronto is choking in the playoffs as they always do and while I think Boston and Philly can win a game or two against Cleveland, it certainly feels like Houston is the only hope to preventing a 4th consecutive Warriors-Cavs Finals matchup.

The NBA is better basketball. That's obvious.

However most on here (we're on a college fanboard) prefer the college game - perfectly fine. The college game has it's pros and cons just as the NBA does.

It is OK to like both. To debate the entertainment level is silly. You're not wrong for thinking the NBA is more entertaining and you're not wrong for thinking the college game is more entertaining.

Same with the NFL/CFB - I think CFB is more exciting but I know the professional game is better football.

Why are there even 30 teams in the nba? There are a total of three teams capable of winning. Sick league. Does not come close to the excitement level of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

I say this as a much bigger NBA fan than one of college hoops. The NBA likes their superteams. If they wanted to, they could create a franchise tag spreading out the best players over more organizations. But I think they prefer a few strong teams with three or four superstars. I think what it comes down to is that there are a lot of NBA fans who don't necessarily have allegiance to one specific team.

I say this as a much bigger NBA fan than one of college hoops. The NBA likes their superteams. If they wanted to, they could create a franchise tag spreading out the best players over more organizations. But I think they prefer a few strong teams with three or four superstars. I think what it comes down to is that there are a lot of NBA fans who don't necessarily have allegiance to one specific team.

And well - it has certainly been working. Their ratings are boomin'

NBA refs don’t call charges every chance they get, so you don’t get “defenders” constantly sliding under players that are in the air. Rather, they actually try to stop the guy with the ball from scoring. That automatically makes it a way better game.

Yeah, this isn't always true. I've seen plenty these playoffs where the defender slid in while the guy was in the air.

The game has to get rid of the secondary defender drawing charges. It's dumb on all levels. Play defense on a guy, not a stationary spot on the floor.

If an offensive player is out of control, fine.

I will say as someone that's a huge NBA fan and greatly prefers the NBA over college game, I do struggle with this. The last few years in which everyone was simply waiting for Golden State and Cleveland to play each other again was pretty boring for me even while my team had a young superstar blossoming before our eyes (Giannis). It's been somewhat better this year; Cleveland was a pretty average team in the East for 90% of the year but Toronto is choking in the playoffs as they always do and while I think Boston and Philly can win a game or two against Cleveland, it certainly feels like Houston is the only hope to preventing a 4th consecutive Warriors-Cavs Finals matchup.
Kind of like the college season waiting for Duke or Kentucky

Lol.

NBA quality of play is clearly better

That being said, couple of annoying parts. The final 5 minutes of a game literally takes FOREVER due to a million timeouts, review of all the out of bounds plays, etc. No wonder Lebron can play all those minutes. Also wish there was better parity. Sure, Cleveland/GS is a great rivalry, but be nice to see some of these up and coming teams go on a run.

LOL. This thread. Amazing.

The NBA is about to have Bron, KD, Steph, Beard, CP3, Klay, Draymond, Tatum and the best basketball coach in the world on any level right now in Brad Stevens in its final four.

You realize that list includes a guy that is top 3 all time in Bron, the best shooter of all time in Steph, a guy who is going to finish, likely, in the top 10 players of all time in KD (maybe greatest scorer of all time), a top 5 shooter of all time in Klay and Beard who just put up an historically great year for a guard.

This isn't just "the NBA has better players". This is "you are choosing not to watch some of the best basketball players OF ALL TIME" . You are watching a genius in Stevens. Two totally different types of offensive systems in GSW v Hou. LeBron who is playing at a level that people couldn't even program into a video game. What else do you want?

But if a Nova, Kansas, Mich and Loyala is what does it for you, good on you. Hey, those opening weekend upsets are cool, I guess. It masks the quality of play.

The NBA is about to have Bron, KD, Steph, Beard, CP3, Klay, Draymond, Tatum and the best basketball coach in the world on any level right now in Brad Stevens in its final four.

You realize that list includes a guy that is top 3 all time in Bron, the best shooter of all time in Steph, a guy who is going to finish, likely, in the top 10 players of all time in KD (maybe greatest scorer of all time), a top 5 shooter of all time in Klay and Beard who just put up an historically great year for a guard.

This isn't just "the NBA has better players". This is "you are choosing not to watch some of the best basketball players OF ALL TIME" . You are watching a genius in Stevens. Two totally different types of offensive systems in GSW v Hou. LeBron who is playing at a level that people couldn't even program into a video game. What else do you want?

But if a Nova, Kansas, Mich and Loyala is what does it for you, good on you. Hey, those opening weekend upsets are cool, I guess. It masks the quality of play.

No. What's amazing is you come to a college fanboard and seem shocked that people actually like college basketball. I enjoy you as a poster, but I can do without the talking down to people who enjoy the college game.

Thought i'd chime in, as the NBA is the only game in town right now, so as a primarily college bball fan, I was curious to see if the NBA was as good as advertised.

That said, I couldn't help thinking to myself while watching last night's Jazz-Rockets game, that it felt like I was watching a bizarro version of a Syracuse-UNC game. All the hallmarks were on display. One team that's clearly superior in almost every way, and the underdog scrapping, clawing, and fighting. Even the scoring was oddly similar as Houston would shoot lights out, and look unstoppable with great ball movement, rebounding, etc... and then the jazz would make an incredible run, only to miss point blank lay-ups and make ill advised turnovers at the worst times. Even the home-stretch where the Jazz cut a 15 point lead to 5 with just over 5 minutes to go, felt oddly familiar. The jazz had two or three wide-open missed layups, and then they kept throwing the ball away as the rockets slowly began to extend their lead and won by like 11.

So while the teams and talent are undoubtedly better, the product on any given night might not be, JMHO.

Lol
Sorry. I get the point about (NBA) parity, but the amount of blood spilled - and how focused the fans are on brawling - is exactly why I stay away from hockey. That the NBA isn't always a wine and cheese affair, I concede. But it's generally more civilized than the hockey scene. However, I recognize that, athletically, what NHL players do on the ice is impressive. No thanks, but nothing personal.

Last edited:
Sorry. Zzzzzz. I recognize that, athletically, what they can do on the ice is impressive. Playoffs are frenzied, no doubt. I did watch a little of the women's (gold medal) team during the Olympics. But overall, there's too much fighting, and the fans seem to love fighting as much as hockey. No thanks, but nothing personal.

There is less and less fighting in the game today. Virtually no fighting in playoff hockey. So I take issue with your claim that fans enjoy fighting more than or as much as the game itself.

Fighting will always have a place in the game, as it should, in a game that is as physical as it is. If someone took a run at a star player on your team, they need to realize they will have to answer for that. There is also a respect factor. Two guys dropping the gloves recognize the guts it takes to do this. While they might attempt to beat the hell out of each other for a few seconds, as soon as its over, things typically settle down and we move on. A lot of the time you even see the two who fought immediately afterward give each other a pat on the back.

I wouldn't expect someone who isn't a fan to understand, but there are legitimate reasons to fight in hockey. At least in the NHL...

There is less and less fighting in the game today. Virtually no fighting in playoff hockey. So I take issue with your claim that people enjoy fighting more than or as much as the game itself.

Fighting will always have a place in the game, as it should, in a game that is as physical as it is. If someone took a run at a star player on your team, they need to realize they will have to answer for that. There is also a respect factor. Two guys dropping the gloves recognize the guts it takes to do this. While they might attempt to beat the hell out of each other for a few seconds, as soon as its over, things typically settle down and we move on. A lot of the time you even see the two who fought immediately afterward give each other a pat on the back.

I wouldn't expect someone who isn't a fan to understand, but there are legitimate reasons to fight in hockey. At least in the NHL...
Oh, I get that there are reasons - in any physical sport. And I do watch some pro football (not much and rarely a whole game) and that's also quite physical and there's some pushing and shoving (rarely fistfights, however).

From the limited slice of hockey that I've seen, while some lessons probably need to be taught the fighting is too frequent and too brutal for my taste. I've seen the Sabers play once (several fights), and local hockey fans here in Rochester seem to be at their loudest and most involved when there's a brawl. It's not my scene. But I'm not going to insult people who like a different sport .. since (like I said) the NBA certainly isn't a church league. Best of luck with the NHL playoffs this year.

Last edited:
No. What's amazing is you come to a college fanboard and seem shocked that people actually like college basketball. I enjoy you as a poster, but I can do without the talking down to people who enjoy the college game.

"NBA is wrong" is the title and I'm talking down to people?

Happy to agree to disagree on this one. Same to you regarding your posts, people can disagree and not be disagreeable.

We can hash it out over a beer at a tailgate some day in good spirits (no snark).

Why watch the NCAA tournament? Why are there 68 teams in it? The percentage of teams truly capable of winning the whole magilla is roughly the same. But, that doesn't matter. It's compelling sport even when a team comes up short. Even if Philly loses to Boston, it has been interesting seeing The Process in action. Same with Utah. They have no chance, but the Jazz was an amazing story against Oklahoma City. Etc, etc. etc. To me, Series are more interesting than single game eliminations. Earning it over a stretch has a value. I've never understood the rationale that, 'oh, i love watching the best players in college, but as soon as they leave college, and increase their skills even further, it's no longer interesting.' I don't get that. By extension, shouldn't CYO ball be the ultimate? I mean, that's when it's PURE.

Why watch the NCAA tournament? Why are there 68 teams in it? The percentage of teams truly capable of winning the whole magilla is roughly the same. But, that doesn't matter. It's compelling sport even when a team comes up short. Even if Philly loses to Boston, it has been interesting seeing The Process in action. Same with Utah. They have no chance, but the Jazz was an amazing story against Oklahoma City. Etc, etc. etc. To me, Series are more interesting than single game eliminations. Earning it over a stretch has a value. I've never understood the rationale that, 'oh, i love watching the best players in college, but as soon as they leave college, and increase their skills even further, it's no longer interesting.' I don't get that. By extension, shouldn't CYO ball be the ultimate? I mean, that's when it's PURE.

NBA is a joke. There is zero parity. They should get rid of 8-10 teams and it would change the dynamic completely for the better. NCAA in a single elimination tournament there is a better chance than just the 2-3 favorites of winning. Sorry but the NBA is a joke. Look at Loyola... when has an 8 seed in the NBA ever made a run? it simply does not happen in the nba. It happens routinely in the NHL. Vegas in the NHL is an expansion team and they are poised to go all the way.

I can give you my eight or so teams that could be eliminated but I won't because that will probably trigger NBA fans.

I'm not sure this argument wouldn't/couldn't be made all the time. I think I'd have a hard time NOT being able to make it for any sport's final four that I follow.

Also, isn't the Cavs and Celts just a dreadful series. I mean, I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE watching Brad Stevens coach as much as the next guy, but most people would be happy if the Rockets and Warriors could be for the championship. Is Kevin Love the second biggest star in that series? Tatum? JR Smith? Horford? After that, maybe we get Butler v. Duke, but on the NBA stage. Hi, Brad Stevens!

I feel like most of this argument outside of maybe Bron's unique status as Top 3, could be made every single year in every professional sport - and quite easily.

I'm not sure this argument wouldn't/couldn't be made all the time. I think I'd have a hard time NOT being able to make it for any sport's final four that I follow.

Also, isn't the Cavs and Celts just a dreadful series. I mean, I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE watching Brad Stevens coach as much as the next guy, but most people would be happy if the Rockets and Warriors could be for the championship. Is Kevin Love the second biggest star in that series? Tatum? JR Smith? Horford? After that, maybe we get Butler v. Duke, but on the NBA stage. Hi, Brad Stevens!

I feel like most of this argument outside of maybe Bron's unique status as Top 3, could be made every single year in every professional sport - and quite easily.

Pretty weird take on Boston. Their two best players are hurt and they still made the Conference Finals. They are going to be really good for a LONG time.

Pretty weird take on Boston. Their two best players are hurt and they still made the Conference Finals. They are going to be really good for a LONG time.

The East is THAT bad.

I concur - but watching their B-team play LeBron and a crap roster isn't likely going to be the most thrilling moment in Eastern Conference Finals history.

NBA is a joke. There is zero parity. They should get rid of 8-10 teams and it would change the dynamic completely for the better. NCAA in a single elimination tournament there is a better chance than just the 2-3 favorites of winning. Sorry but the NBA is a joke. Look at Loyola... when has an 8 seed in the NBA ever made a run? it simply does not happen in the nba. It happens routinely in the NHL. Vegas in the NHL is an expansion team and they are poised to go all the way.

I can give you my eight or so teams that could be eliminated but I won't because that will probably trigger NBA fans.
Pro sports comes down to management. There will always be bad teams

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom