NBA Playoffs HS Rankings | Syracusefan.com

NBA Playoffs HS Rankings

I've always said that looking at high school rankings Is like looking at a frame of film and trying to determine if the butler did it. They are a snapshot of how a player is evaluated at a particular point in his development. it may or may not be an accurate assessment, (much of it based on reputation - both his and the schools he attended, as well as the ones who want him). he may have peaked. He may lack the worth ethic to make the most of his abilities. he could get injured or have academic, disciplinary or legal troubles. He might not be coachable. I once suggested to Jim Boeheim that if a player eventually becomes an NBA starter, that he's probably 20% of what he's going to be coming into college and 80% when he leaves. it's about how good a college and NBA player a kid will be, not how good he was in high school.

That said, if you consistently recruit Top 100 guys you will probably turn out to be better than if your guys were consistently our of the Top 100. Same with Top 50 and the truly great ones will surely be in the top 20. So the ratings are not irrelevant. they just aren't very reliable in individual cases. The coaches aren't right all the time, either but I trust their assessments more than i do rankings or star ratings. They know what they need and what they want and have a better idea of what they are getting than anyone.

I've always said that looking at high school rankings Is like looking at a frame of film and trying to determine if the butler did it. They are a snapshot of how a player is evaluated at a particular point in his development. it may or may not be an accurate assessment, (much of it based on reputation - both his and the schools he attended, as well as the ones who want him). he may have peaked. He may lack the worth ethic to make the most of his abilities. he could get injured or have academic, disciplinary or legal troubles. He might not be coachable. I once suggested to Jim Boeheim that if a player eventually becomes an NBA starter, that he's probably 20% of what he's going to be coming into college and 80% when he leaves. it's about how good a college and NBA player a kid will be, not how good he was in high school.

That said, if you consistently recruit Top 100 guys you will probably turn out to be better than if your guys were consistently our of the Top 100. Same with Top 50 and the truly great ones will surely be in the top 20. So the ratings are not irrelevant. they just aren't very reliable in individual cases. The coaches aren't right all the time, either but I trust their assessments more than i do rankings or star ratings. They know what they need and what they want and have a better idea of what they are getting than anyone.
The thing so many refuse to recognize is that none of the various services have the time, resources, or ability to rank in any meaningful order all the potential recruits each year. Most can get the top 20, or so, close to right. When it gets down to prospect #285, then you have to have questions. Does that ranking actually reflect his level of talent, or is it no one doing the evaluations has ever seen him play? If a prospect chooses to do something other than play for an elite AAU program, how does that effect his ranking? There are lots of other unanswered questions associated with any ranking. At some point, you just have to have faith in your coaches'abilities to determine if a recruit meets the team's needs.