NBA scouts think Grant should stay | Syracusefan.com

NBA scouts think Grant should stay

90% of the time, I'm on board w/ kids leaving early. Not with Grant. Needs another year.

Every other player we've lost early in recent years needed to go when they did because of where they were projected. They wouldn't get any benefit from staying another year.

The opposite is true with Grant. He could turn himself into a top 5 pick if he works hard.

Every other player we've lost early in recent years needed to go when they did because of where they were projected. They wouldn't get any benefit from staying another year.

The opposite is true with Grant. He could turn himself into a top 5 pick if he works hard.

Agree on all counts.

Especially considering his financial situation (which I'm assuming is better than most other college hoops players), it really does make sense. He needs to work on his jumper and driving with purpose.

Can't shoot. Tough to make it in the NBA if you can't hit jumpers from any distance.

I hope somebody really focusses on his shooting form if/when he decides to come back. I know it's not easy at all to fix a jumpshot, but if ever there was somebody in need of it, it's Jerami. GMac should be refocussing his efforts on Grant and Gbinije this offseason, instead of constantly working on Cooney. Obviously Cooney's troubles are not form related. Grant's are (not sure about Silent G's)

A 3's body with a 4's game...needs to add the 3-pt shot to his arsenal entirely - not just work on it. He can greatly improve his stock.

Especially considering his financial situation (which I'm assuming is better than most other college hoops players), it really does make sense. He needs to work on his jumper and driving with purpose.

His weakness is, IMO, not even the shot. Of course it can be improved, but he's been okay with the mid range jumper.

I think it's quite obvious what he needs to work on most is his finishing ability. Some may disagree but I stand by it. He got by a lot this year by sheer athleticism and will. He showed great flashes of creativeness off the dribble, but overall, it's going to take more than just barreling into the lane in the NBA. Id love to see improved footwork, particularly the use of a pivot foot and a spin, something he showed occasionally this year.

Yes, the 3 ball I agree with. Didn't he shoot a couple last year? I don't think he attempted one this year. Not a good sign, considering the NBA line is even further.

Yes, the 3 ball I agree with. Didn't he shoot a couple last year? I don't think he attempted one this year. Not a good sign, considering the NBA line is even further.

I looked it up last week and I think it was single digits and I doubt any of them were during the conference schedule (both down from last year). Clearly he was told to not shoot those.

Can't shoot. Tough to make it in the NBA if you can't hit jumpers from any distance.

I hope somebody really focusses on his shooting form if/when he decides to come back. I know it's not easy at all to fix a jumpshot, but if ever there was somebody in need of it, it's Jerami. GMac should be refocussing his efforts on Grant and Gbinije this offseason, instead of constantly working on Cooney. Obviously Cooney's troubles are not form related. Grant's are (not sure about Silent G's)

When we went to the FSU game I was watching Grant warm up. His shot was short and I was thinking he's going to be off today after coming off the back injury, then Adrian Autry came up to him. Told him to keep his elbow towards his body and not away from it. After that Grant started hitting jumpers. I started thinking at that point, if he continues like this he's going to have a good game, and he did.

Last edited:
0-6 this year. With the ball in his hands, he treated the 3 point line like a dog would an invisible fence.

It's hard to develop when you're not playing.

I stopped reading Mike's piece when the one guy said this and lost all credibility. Everyone knows it does no good to play players that aren't ready yet! ;)

I just don't see any scenario where he goes in the top 5 after another year here.

I think he is a late lottery - late first rounder barring a huge leap in ability from three or he adds a ton of muscle and works down on the block. That's too much for just one year.

He's a tweener right now that can't fall back on lock down D abilities. He's still learning how to control his body when he attacks the rim and use angles properly. He doesn't dribble particularly well for NBA standards as well.

He can jump out of the gym, covers a lot of ground in few strides and has a nose for blocking the ball.

Whenever he leaves, I think he is going to have to land in a situation where he finds a solid 7th man role, where he is asked to only do a few things and can utilize his athleticism.

Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see him turning into a top 5 pick that a franchise looks to as a main building block of team.

This scout says exactly what I've said about guys leaving early that aren't good enough to start or be one of the first guys off of the bench. There isn't enough practice time during an NBA season, for guys getting little playing time, to develop.

"If he comes out and he goes, let's say 25th, he's on a good team,'' the NBA exec said. "He's making good money, but he's just under a million dollars a year. It's good money, but he's on a good team and he's not getting that much playing time. It's hard to develop when you're not playing.

"Or he stays in school and works on his skills,'' he added. "He has a much larger role on offense. He adds some weight. Now he goes 13th and he's making a whole lot more money. He's on a lottery team but hopefully an up-and-coming team. He's more prepared for playing time and you'd guess he's on a team that can give him playing time.''

Last edited:
I just don't see any scenario where he goes in the top 5 after another year here.

I think he is a late lottery - late first rounder barring a huge leap in ability from three or he adds a ton of muscle and works down on the block. That's too much for just one year.

He's a tweener right now that can't fall back on lock down D abilities. He's still learning how to control his body when he attacks the rim and use angles properly. He doesn't dribble particularly well for NBA standards as well.

He can jump out of the gym, covers a lot of ground in few strides and has a nose for blocking the ball.

Whenever he leaves, I think he is going to have to land in a situation where he finds a solid 7th man role, where he is asked to only do a few things and can utilize his athleticism.

Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see him turning into a top 5 pick that a franchise looks to as a main building block of team.
Makes sense. One of the scouts in the article seemed to indicate that, after some development, 13 would be a realistic spot next year.

This scout says exactly what I've said about guys leaving early that aren't good enough to start or be one of the first guys off of the bench. There isn't enough practice time during an NBA season for guys getting little playing time to develop.

"If he comes out and he goes, let's say 25th, he's on a good team,'' the NBA exec said. "He's making good money, but he's just under a million dollars a year. It's good money, but he's on a good team and he's not getting that much playing time. It's hard to develop when you're not playing.

"Or he stays in school and works on his skills,'' he added. "He has a much larger role on offense. He adds some weight. Now he goes 13th and he's making a whole lot more money. He's on a lottery team but hopefully an up-and-coming team. He's more prepared for playing time and you'd guess he's on a team that can give him playing time.''

That's what I have been thinking too. And not playing in the NBA, means you end up in the D-league. The D-league pretty much means you rot there.

It's hard to develop when you're not playing.

I stopped reading Mike's piece when the one guy said this and lost all credibility. Everyone knows it does no good to play players that aren't ready yet! ;)

If you don't show an understanding of the o and d concepts in practice you won't play in an NBA game either.

All things that can be improved.

My opinion is that not everyone is, in fact, good enough to stick in the NBA. So, take the money while it's being offered before they stop offering it.

It's clear certain young players can benefit from playing actual basketball games for a year, and growing rather than sitting on a bench and not getting game time. Players benefit from experience and you can't get that when you aren't playing in actual games.

I think Grant needs to get on the Gator's S&C program. Add 25 lbs plus either a pull-up 3 ball or an effective dribble drive with either hand.

He's great when he gets the ball with only a single bounce between him and the rim. He does absolutely need to get stronger and add bulk - he gets knocked to the floor way to often. Great talent, great kid and it's not like he's 21. He's got time and he'll get to the NBA in one form or another. It'd be a win/win for everyone if he returns for a JR season.

JB said Gbinije is slow getting his shot off. Not sure how you fix that.

My opinion is that not everyone is, in fact, good enough to stick in the NBA. So, take the money while it's being offered before they stop offering it.
Certainly this is true, but anyone trying to get to the NBA doesn't think like that. If they do, they're already doomed. Since nobody does think like that, they should do what ever gives them the best opportunity to develop their game. For some this is making the jump. For others it's going back to college.

His weakness is, IMO, not even the shot. Of course it can be improved, but he's been okay with the mid range jumper.

I think it's quite obvious what he needs to work on most is his finishing ability. Some may disagree but I stand by it. He got by a lot this year by sheer athleticism and will. He showed great flashes of creativeness off the dribble, but overall, it's going to take more than just barreling into the lane in the NBA. Id love to see improved footwork, particularly the use of a pivot foot and a spin, something he showed occasionally this year.

When went to the FSU game I was watching Grant warm up. His shot was short and I was thinking he's going to be off today after coming off the back injury, then Adrian Autry came up to him. Told him to keep his elbow towards his body and not away from it. After that Grant started hitting jumpers. I started thinking at that point, if he continues like this he's going to have a good game, and he did.

Exactly; Grant has a bad habit of leaving his elbow out, but the jumper isn't atrocious. His shooting will be fine.

It's the offense off the drive that is unsustainable and in need of an overhaul. Half the time he goes charging into the lane like a baby deer. Sometimes he makes spectacular baskets, but he's not going to have consistent success with that in the NBA. He needs footwork, form, and patience.