NBA scouts think Grant should stay | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NBA scouts think Grant should stay

hes in a baseball-esque position.

he can either go to (stay in) school, work towards his degree while getting a ton of playing time, developing as a player and spending his days watching highlights of himself on sportscenter and nights playing in front of thousands in attendence and millions on tv (ok that doesnt happen in college baseball but stay with me) or he can go pro and end up in A-ball (D league) do nothing but hoop (ok, 2 hours a day)and spend his days riding a bus and nights playing in front of 100s while watching his college team do the above.

donte could at least score...and hes done and could barely see any court time as it was.

jerami would be a fool.

Exactly; Grant has a bad habit of leaving his elbow out, but the jumper isn't atrocious. His shooting will be fine.

It's the offense off the drive that is unsustainable and in need of an overhaul. Half the time he goes charging into the lane like a baby deer. Sometimes he makes spectacular baskets, but he's not going to have consistent success with that in the NBA. He needs footwork, form, and patience.

Half the time he falls with little to no contact. Bingo on the patience. Won't work in the NBA. Guys are too big and too strong. I really hope we see him again next year, first team all ACC.

Every other player we've lost early in recent years needed to go when they did because of where they were projected. They wouldn't get any benefit from staying another year.

The opposite is true with Grant. He could turn himself into a top 5 pick if he works hard.

I am of the mind that you should go as soon as possible, but if he has his own reasons for wanting to stay, that is great. He might improve his position marginally, but he should not be under the illusion that he is guaranteed to be a top 5 pick.

I am of the mind that you should go as soon as possible, but if he has his own reasons for wanting to stay, that is great. He might improve his position marginally, but he should not be under the illusion that he is guaranteed to be a top 5 pick.

Nothing in life is guaranteed except death and taxes.

Just saw this from yesterday on a chat with ESPN's Chad Ford:

Chris (NY)

Heard anything on Jerami Grant? Has been very quiet on that front, do you think he's leaning towards staying another year?

Chad Ford (1:54 PM)

Still deciding. He's a late lottery to mid first rounder if he declares. He obviously needs to improve his skill set. He's really just a great athlete with a great motor right now. But teams are intrigued.

Pretty much what a lot of us have been saying recently although there have been some who were so sure he was 100% gone throughout the season.

Here's link if you read the whole chat transcript.
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50317

JB said Gbinije is slow getting his shot off. Not sure how you fix that.

Part is mental and part is repetition. Mentally, he has to be ready to shoot if he's open. Physically, he just has to get in the gym and put up thousands of shots with the focus of getting the ball out of his hand sooner. Steph Curry did this in high school to avoid getting his shot blocked. he said the change led to some really poor shooting games, but eventually paid off once he got the hang of it.

or he can go pro and end up in A-ball (D league) do nothing but hoop (ok, 2 hours a day)and spend his days riding a bus and nights playing in front of 100s while watching his college team do the above.

If you really think that is a life of a baseball player in the minors...

A day in A-ball typically begins at 2 PM (regardless of the time you arrive) and ends post game. And if you think it is just sitting in the clubhouse, there is nothing I can do for you.

Source: I worked in player development for a MLB club for 2 years based in the Arizona League (rookie ball).

If you really think that is a life of a baseball player in the minors...

A day in A-ball typically begins at 2 PM (regardless of the time you arrive) and ends post game. And if you think it is just sitting in the clubhouse, there is nothing I can do for you.

Source: I worked in player development for a MLB club for 2 years based in the Arizona League (rookie ball).
dont think i said that, but working to get better in baseball is certainly a lot more than just shooting free throws, 3's and a couple of drop and/or spin moves to be sure.

point was mainly on the anonymity of it.

CONGRATS!! YOURE A PROFESSIONAL!!! errr...ahhh...wheres espn???

jerami needs to stay in school.

if he leaves now, we will never hear from him again.

ever.

Since the vaunted recruiting class of 2003 (Nichols, Roberts, Watkins, McCroskey), Syracuse has had 37 recruited scholarship players.

Of those, only 5 have had legitimate NBA careers (Donte Greene, 253 games; Johnny Flynn, 163 games; Wes Johnson, 266 games; Dion Waiters, 125 games; MCW, 63 games). All of them left after no more than 2 years in the system. Ennis, presumably, will be #6.

Anyone who stayed longer than that played no more than 18 games in the NBA.

This is not unique to Syracuse, by the way. Most D1 colleges sell the dream of "preparing kids for the NBA," but the fact of the matter is they do a shitty job at that. The reality is that they are just collecting free labor for their money making machines.

Last edited:
Since the vaunted recruiting class of 2003 (Nichols, Roberts, Watkins, McCroskey), Syracuse has had 37 recruited scholarship players.

Of those, only 5 have had legitimate NBA careers (Donte Greene, 253 games; Johnny Flynn, 163 games; Wes Johnson, 266 games; Dion Waiters, 125 games; MCW, 63 games). All of them left after no more than 2 years in the system.

Anyone who stayed longer than that played no more than 18 games in the NBA.

This is not unique to Syracuse, by the way. Most D1 colleges sell the dream of "preparing kids for the NBA," but the fact of the matter is they do a shitty job at that. The reality is that they are just collecting free labor for their money making machines.
I think Wes Johnson is an outlier - 1 year in the system but he was 4 years out of high school wasn't he?

I think Wes Johnson is an outlier - 1 year in the system but he was 4 years out of high school wasn't he?
true, and I almost left him out because he was arguably not a true Syracuse product. And, actually, I think he was 5 years out of HS because he went the prep route, but he did spend 2 years in the Syracuse system

90% of the time, I'm on board w/ kids leaving early. Not with Grant. Needs another year.

His father needed college to put on weight, and he put on even more muscle in the NBA. Harvey and Horace were both skinny in college until they finally filled out as upperclassmen. Jerami will need the strength.

We will serve no wine before it's time. ;)

Part is mental and part is repetition. Mentally, he has to be ready to shoot if he's open. Physically, he just has to get in the gym and put up thousands of shots with the focus of getting the ball out of his hand sooner. Steph Curry did this in high school to avoid getting his shot blocked. he said the change led to some really poor shooting games, but eventually paid off once he got the hang of it.

Good points.

Part of getting the shot off faster is properly setting the feet prior to catching the ball. Doing so allows a player to catch and shoot in one smooth motion. Coaches call it catching the ball "shot ready." Each of SU's guards and forwards could work on catching the ball more "shot ready" in the half-court sets.

Good points.

Part of getting the shot off faster is properly setting the feet prior to catching the ball. Doing so allows a player to catch and shoot in one smooth motion. Coaches call it catching the ball "shot ready." Each of SU's guards and forwards could work on catching the ball more "shot ready" in the half-court sets.
They need look no further than tape of Andy Rautins. I remember Bilas pointing out that Rautins was able to set his feet faster than anyone he'd seen in a long time. Especially when running away from the basket to take a pass.

Good points.

Seriously, can I just send my son to you for a couple weeks this summer? I'm sure if you wanted to, you could have a camp completely filled with kids of guys and gals on this board. Heck, do a JB type old man camp and I'm signing up to learn with you for a week.

They need look no further than tape of Andy Rautins. I remember Bilas pointing out that Rautins was able to set his feet faster than anyone he'd seen in a long time. Especially when running away from the basket to take a pass.

One thing about Rautins though is that he already had pretty good footwork and a lightning quick release when he was at JD. So he came on board already equipped. Not that improvement isn't possible but it can take quite a bit of time for some guys to feel comfortable with changing their shot base and/or form.

Not that improvement isn't possible but it can take quite a bit of time for some guys to feel comfortable with changing their shot base and/or form.

So true--lots of reps are needed, along with proper correction/feedback from coaches.

These NBA scouts know nothing. They should defer to the posters here, who due to their keen NBA "basketball eyes", know more than paid NBA scouts.