NBA Summer League 2024 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Summer League 2024

SLC Summer League TV schedule (next week). Judah Mintz on the Sixers roster for those interested.

Attachments

• 449445937_18444125782012278_8163777251870757539_n.jpg
    449445937_18444125782012278_8163777251870757539_n.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
These guys with local connections on summer league rosters:

Joe Girard-Toronto
Judah Mintz-Philly
Buddy Boeheim-OKC
Cole Swider-Miami
Jesse Edwards-Minnesota
Quincy Guerrier-Toronto
Darius Bazley-Utah
Charles Pride-Charlotte
Matt Morgan-Charlotte

These guys with local connections on summer league rosters:

Joe Girard-Toronto
Judah Mintz-Philly
Buddy Boeheim-OKC
Cole Swider-Miami
Jesse Edwards-Minnesota
Quincy Guerrier-Toronto
Darius Bazley-Utah
Charles Pride-Charlotte
Matt Morgan-Charlotte

Miami fans on the r/Heat subreddit really like Swider and are rooting for him.

Miami fans on the r/Heat subreddit really like Swider and are rooting for him.
I've watched both Cole's games and he really doesn't belong in these games. He is clearly better than most of these guys playing. I get why he's playing but seems like he can only hurt his status now - he has shown he can ball and his elite skill of shooting is just that, elite.

He's guaranteed cash or did I read that wrong?

I've watched both Cole's games and he really doesn't belong in these games. He is clearly better than most of these guys playing. I get why he's playing but seems like he can only hurt his status now - he has shown he can ball and his elite skill of shooting is just that, elite.

He's guaranteed cash or did I read that wrong?

I am not sure about the guarantee. Here is the Heat cap sheet from spotrac. Not sure if you can make heads or tails of this:

General stats question: I assume the +/- numbers are impacted by the people on the floor with you. How do the metrics take that into account?
I guess people that value team play put more stock into the number.

Regarding Cole Swider - he is an RFA, he does not have a guaranteed NBA contract. That being said he has been made a qualifying offer from the Heat for a 2-way contract ($600K annually), which he has not yet accepted as I presume wants a regular NBA Contract. The article below lays out his situation pretty well.

It would appear his goal in summer league is to impress any of the 30 NBA team so that they offer him a regular NBA contract - Miami would have the right to match if they want.

He needs to play in Summer League to try to earn that NBA contract -- given his contractual status he is not above playing at this level. Certainly more legit NBA player than many here, but teams would expect a player of his current relative standing as an NBA player, to play SL to earn that contract.

Last edited:
Waiting impatiently for the Knicks summer league roster to be announced and for them to acquire an adequate center...backup or starter.

How much would you give up for Walker Kessler?

Good question. I would do the 2 1st's knowing if they are the Knicks picks they are likely to be late 1st's. Kessler has the size to slow down Embiid and get some good minutes at the 5. If Utah has already turned down that offer not sure what would get a deal done. They may be willing to give up McBride after drafting Kolek.

How much would you give up for Walker Kessler?

The 2 first round picks that the Knicks are allowed to trade right now under the CBA are essentially fake first rounders as they will likely get conveyed as second rounders in a few years.. highly protected picks from Washington and Detroit who are not making the playoffs soon.

I’m sure the Jazz would consider trading Kessler for certain first round picks… but not those two.

Knicks fans can correct me if I am wrong on the picks, but I am pretty certain they got rid of the Bucks 25 pick and are no longer allowed to trade any of their own.

Last edited:
Good question. I would do the 2 1st's knowing if they are the Knicks picks they are likely to be late 1st's. Kessler has the size to slow down Embiid and get some good minutes at the 5. If Utah has already turned down that offer not sure what would get a deal done. They may be willing to give up McBride after drafting Kolek.

Knicks are not allowed to trade anymore of their own first round picks under the CBA. Can’t trade firsts in consecutive years.

They can move the 2 essentially fake first rounders I noted in my post above.

Last edited:
The 2 first round picks that the Knicks are allowed to trade right now under the CBA are essentially fake first rounders as they will likely get conveyed as second rounders in a few years.. highly protected picks from Washington and Detroit who are not making the playoffs soon.

I’m sure the Jazz would consider trading Kessler for certain first round picks… but not those two.

Knicks fans can correct me if I am wrong on the picks, but I am pretty certain they got rid of the Bucks 25 pick and are no longer allowed to trade any of their own.
A lot depends on how committed the Jazz are to #CapturetheFlagg. The Knicks need Kessler more than the Jazz need those specific Jazz picks. I think they also received some expiring contracts that they can trade at the deadline for more draft picks then it might make sense.

Also if they trade Markkanen for more picks then you know the tank is in.

A lot depends on how committed the Jazz are to #CapturetheFlagg. The Knicks need Kessler more than the Jazz need those specific Jazz picks. I think they also received some expiring contracts that they can trade at the deadline for more draft picks then it might make sense.

Also if they trade Markkanen for more picks then you know the tank is in.

This deal will never really make sense for the Jazz though whether they want to tank or not. If they want to tank, which makes sense for Utah, they will very likely get better for Kessler, than this offer from the Knicks which is basically 2 early second round picks that will come in 2026 and 2027.

Even in terms of matching contracts the only thing the Knicks can offer is one of the following 4 players which don't have much flip value. Unless they really like Didiet... and that trade can only be done after the season starts.
Keita Bates Diop
Jericho Sims
Tyler Kolek
Pacome Didiet (Knicks 25th overall

I just think the Jazz can figure out something better than this.
The headline of turning down 2 first rounders causes a bit of a stir, but its not really accurate.

Last edited:
So far, I think the best performers are looking like: Sheppard, Castle, Buzelis and Ware.

Buzelis' value tanked going to G League Ignite, but I think it worked out being on his hometown team now. He's got some fire in him.

Wish the Knicks would have been able to get Ware.

Houston has to make a decision with who they want to keep and ship out. They just have too many redundant players, imo.

Castle on the Spurs is nuts. They not only have their own pick in 2025, they have Atlanta's pick, which should be in the lottery.

So far, I think the best performers are looking like: Sheppard, Castle, Buzelis and Ware.

Buzelis' value tanked going to G League Ignite, but I think it worked out being on his hometown team now. He's got some fire in him.

Wish the Knicks would have been able to get Ware.

Houston has to make a decision with who they want to keep and ship out. They just have too many redundant players, imo.

Castle on the Spurs is nuts. They not only have their own pick in 2025, they have Atlanta's pick, which should be in the lottery.
And Chris Paul will presumably take Castle under his wing.

Walker Kessler went from US World Championship team to Summer League the next summer.
He's not a bad player by any means, its just an odd sequence of events.

And Chris Paul will presumably take Castle under his wing.

Agreed. I think the Spurs are like 2-3 years away from being legit and will be surprisingly feisty this year.

I know Harrison Barnes, for example, disappears for stretches, but if he's your fourth best player... that's not terrible for a team with no expectations. And maybe in fifth best player (Wemby, Vassell, CP3, Castle is the TBD).