NBA Summer League 2024 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Summer League 2024

The Spurs Treasure Chest of Other Teams First Rounders has surpassed that of OKC. I came up with the following list of futures (If I am reading this site properly. the overall value of them is much higher, and most of them are unprotected.

Seems like the Spurs are slow playing this, seeing what they have (while protected the youngsters with some vets like Paul and Barnes). And then they will make a push in move with all this capital. They probably will have cap space against next summer as well.

SAS - 5 First, 5 Swaps (8 Unprotected)
OKC - 6 First, 3 Swaps (3 Unprotected)

The sneaky value picks for SAS are those 2030 and 2031 swaps with the Kings and Wolves, as well as the wolves 2030 pick. And of course they have the Hawks unprotected picks in 25 and 27.

A lot of OKC's firsts are with good teams, or protected with bad teams that will be conveyed to seconds.

That being said they have some potentially high upside picks, with 26 Clips. 26 Rockets (top 4), potentially 2026 Heat unprotected if Heat miss playoffs in 2025. And a 27 Swap with the Clips.

Well somehow I deleted the list I had put together for each team that segregated protected / unprotected / and swaps- not sure what I hit for the entire bottom of my post to cut. Just added some more analysis above.

So far, I think the best performers are looking like: Sheppard, Castle, Buzelis and Ware.

Buzelis' value tanked going to G League Ignite, but I think it worked out being on his hometown team now. He's got some fire in him.

Wish the Knicks would have been able to get Ware.

Houston has to make a decision with who they want to keep and ship out. They just have too many redundant players, imo.

Castle on the Spurs is nuts. They not only have their own pick in 2025, they have Atlanta's pick, which should be in the lottery.
Matas was the player I hoped Chicago would land.. just wasn’t sure if he’d be available when the Bulls picked as draft predictions were all over the place (some as high as #5 to middle teens). Happy how it turned out. He has a major chip on his shoulder and will play his tail off for the hometown team. Could end up being the best player from this class…

The Spurs Treasure Chest of Other Teams First Rounders has surpassed that of OKC. I came up with the following list of futures (If I am reading this site properly. the overall value of them is much higher, and most of them are unprotected.

Seems like the Spurs are slow playing this, seeing what they have (while protected the youngsters with some vets like Paul and Barnes). And then they will make a push in move with all this capital. They probably will have cap space against next summer as well.

SAS - 5 First, 5 Swaps (8 Unprotected)
OKC - 6 First, 3 Swaps (3 Unprotected)

The sneaky value picks for SAS are those 2030 and 2031 swaps with the Kings and Wolves, as well as the wolves 2030 pick. And of course they have the Hawks unprotected picks in 25 and 27.

A lot of OKC's firsts are with good teams, or protected with bad teams that will be conveyed to seconds.

That being said they have some potentially high upside picks, with 26 Clips. 26 Rockets (top 4), potentially 2026 Heat unprotected if Heat miss playoffs in 2025. And a 27 Swap with the Clips.

Well somehow I deleted the list I had put together for each team that segregated protected / unprotected / and swaps- not sure what I hit for the entire bottom of my post to cut. Just added some more analysis above.
This post on r/nbaspurs has the summary also copying and pasting:
Picks
  • 2025 from Atlanta (Unprotected)
  • 2025 from Chicago (Top 10 Protected, then Top 8 Protected in 2026,2027)
  • 2027 from Atlanta (Unprotected)
  • 2031 from Minnesota (Unprotected)
  • All own picks
Swap Rights
  • 2026 from Atlanta (Unprotected)
  • 2028 from Boston (Top 1 Protected)
  • 2030 from Dallas (Unprotected)
  • 2030 from Minnesota (Top 1 Protected)

That 2025 from ATL that is unprotected, imo, might be gold. Then to have 2026 swap with ATL and ATL's 2027 that is unprotected is insane. ATL may be BAD BAD.

2025 has Flagg, Harper and that dude from France (cannot remember his name off the top of my head). VJ (who just showed out a bit for the Bahamas) and Ace Bailey are also up there (even tho I'm not as high on Bailey). Personally, I'm not as high as others on Flagg (meaning I'm not buying Flagg as a KD redux), but I think he's very good, just not all world. But I absolutely could be wrong.

2026 has AJ who might be the dude out of both of these classes.

Point is, there is a scenario where the Spurs end up with LEGIT talent via the draft and/or make a monster trade.

IMO, the biggest issue for the Spurs is how long is Pop going for? Who is in the pool to replace him?

The other wild card, imho, is Doncic has a PO in 2026-27. Now, I don't think anybody is turning down the extension, but if he is fed up in Dallas, the Spurs could make an all-in move on Doncic with all those picks. Because you will never get a player to player swap for someone at the top level. It just won't happen.

But Castle is showing signs, they have CP3 this year, Wemby could legitimately be DPOY and 1st or 2nd Team All NBA **this year**.

Between landing Robinson, then Timmy, then Kawhi (even tho he didn't stay that long) and now Wemby... I don't know if there is another run like this out of the draft for any team, ever. Maybe the Lakers or Celtics, but I dunno.

This post on r/nbaspurs has the summary also copying and pasting:
Picks
  • 2025 from Atlanta (Unprotected)
  • 2025 from Chicago (Top 10 Protected, then Top 8 Protected in 2026,2027)
  • 2027 from Atlanta (Unprotected)
  • 2031 from Minnesota (Unprotected)
  • All own picks
Swap Rights
  • 2026 from Atlanta (Unprotected)
  • 2028 from Boston (Top 1 Protected)
  • 2030 from Dallas (Unprotected)
  • 2030 from Minnesota (Top 1 Protected)

That 2025 from ATL that is unprotected, imo, might be gold. Then to have 2026 swap with ATL and ATL's 2027 that is unprotected is insane. ATL may be BAD BAD.

2025 has Flagg, Harper and that dude from France (cannot remember his name off the top of my head). VJ (who just showed out a bit for the Bahamas) and Ace Bailey are also up there (even tho I'm not as high on Bailey). Personally, I'm not as high as others on Flagg (meaning I'm not buying Flagg as a KD redux), but I think he's very good, just not all world. But I absolutely could be wrong.

2026 has AJ who might be the dude out of both of these classes.

Point is, there is a scenario where the Spurs end up with LEGIT talent via the draft and/or make a monster trade.

IMO, the biggest issue for the Spurs is how long is Pop going for? Who is in the pool to replace him?

The other wild card, imho, is Doncic has a PO in 2026-27. Now, I don't think anybody is turning down the extension, but if he is fed up in Dallas, the Spurs could make an all-in move on Doncic with all those picks. Because you will never get a player to player swap for someone at the top level. It just won't happen.

But Castle is showing signs, they have CP3 this year, Wemby could legitimately be DPOY and 1st or 2nd Team All NBA **this year**.

Between landing Robinson, then Timmy, then Kawhi (even tho he didn't stay that long) and now Wemby... I don't know if there is another run like this out of the draft for any team, ever. Maybe the Lakers or Celtics, but I dunno.

Yep that looks like the list I had put together this morning. Its missing one swap - probably because it was very recently acquired from the Derozan/Barnes deal completed last week,

They obtained a 2031 Swap with the Kings, as part of facilitating the Derozan deal and taking on Barnes. Things change and its long ways away but given the Kings history, that swap could be really nice. Plus Barnes is a nice piece for them anyway in their timeline.

In the world of apron's which limit flexibility, the Spurs have so much flexibility.

Last edited: