NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

If any of you follow Jonathan Tjarks at The Ringer and been following his story, read this. Not sure where else to drop this article.

If you don’t know him, he’s an NBA writer there.

I tend to agree though I would like to see them play some better competition than the Knicks and Harden still has to prove himself in the playoffs. My mind really hasn’t changed from the beginning of the season though: I’ll be surprised if it isn’t Philly, Brooklyn, or Milwaukee. The other playoff teams in the East are legitimately good which is a fun change from years past but those 3 remain the most dangerous IMO.

I think Miami might deserve to be in that group now. I know they don't have a top level guy like Giannis/KD/Embiid. But they've been really good

Trivia question: what player in NBA history has played the most games without receiving a single technical foul? (hint: he's still active)
W/O google assistance Klay Thompson

Pick ‘‘em up at half court and play better defense
About 15 yrs ago there was a ND kid that torched the zone and the apologists were all like “what are you supposed to do guard him 94 feet?!” Next game the Irish played Pitt and that’s exactly what happened. He got somewhere between 10-15 tough points

Hit on his over 1.5 made 3s prop vs Knicks
Ha. Every time I watch him - he makes few mistakes - few turnovers and takes good shots, makes a good percentage, and gets a ton of easy buckets because he’s insanely fast, and creates some havoc on defense. I like him.

About 15 yrs ago there was a ND kid that torched the zone and the apologists were all like “what are you supposed to do guard him 94 feet?!” Next game the Irish played Pitt and that’s exactly what happened. He got somewhere between 10-15 tough points

I always loved pointing out how in 2003, in our two biggest regular season wins(Pitt and ND), we switched to man because we were down by 10-15, and in most of our important tourney wins, we outscored the other team.

Our zone wasn’t even good that year. It flummoxed Oklahoma because their coach was like 599 years old, but otherwise we won with offense all year…or had to come out of the zone to spark things.

Last edited:
I think Miami might deserve to be in that group now. I know they don't have a top level guy like Giannis/KD/Embiid. But they've been really good
Maybe. I just don’t buy it personally.

Jimmy Butler has achieved more playoff success than Embiid.

Keith Friel? That was 25 years ago. :) We are old.

Miami doesn’t get enough respect.

I think Philadelphia is on a sugar high right how.
They are up 2 in the East.
I think 3rd in the East is the sweet spot.
Brooklyn is looming as the 7th or 8th seed.

3rd is getting Boston or Cleveland.

7th/8th is likely Brooklyn or Toronto in some order

Miami doesn’t get enough respect.

I think Philadelphia is on a sugar high right how.
They are up 2 in the East.
I think 3rd in the East is the sweet spot.
Brooklyn is looming as the 7th or 8th seed.

3rd is getting Boston or Cleveland.

7th/8th is likely Brooklyn or Toronto in some order
I was totally wrong on Spoelstra. Thought he was a Riley puppet. Really good coach.

I was totally wrong on Spoelstra. Thought he was a Riley puppet. Really good coach.

He was really good the years just after LeBron left as well. Kind of where he proved how good he actually is. Can you really coach when you have LeBron on your team? His teams always play defense and always compete. Great gameday coach too.

But Riley has helped him as well, there is no doubt about that. "Heat Culture" which I hate not built without Riley but Spoelstra is easy one the of the best coaches in the NBA. Right now I would say he may be the best in the league or damn close to it. That said SPO has been around long enough where his body of work and influence stand on its own regardless of Riley

Last edited:
Lakers are now 1 game ahead of the Pelicans and are currently in 9th. If they drop out of the top 10 their draft pick would also go to the Pelicans. Lebron trying to get the scoring record might be the only thing that saves them. Spurs would probably be the only team that could knock them out as Portland doesn't appear to want to win at this point. Probably a big reach at this point but out there for sure

I'd posit Luka was hunting Lebron because he preferred single coverage over having to beat his defender plus Lebron as the help defender. Lebron's D was solid; he forced some tough shots (which Luka made) - but no one is coming to help when Lebron picks him up on a switch... so Luka's trading two defenders for one. Hard to knock Lebron here... I mean, Luka's cooked PG13 and the rest of the Clippers not named Kahwi two postseasons in a row.

All fair. But he was still hunting him. When he's doubled, he makes the right pass 10/10 times. When he's singled, he can cook anyone (except maybe a healthy Kawhi, as you note).

He just needs to start showing up on day one in shape. One of the guys that used to work for the Mavs said, on a podcast, that he would see Luka drinking like full cups of sweet tea and stuff like that on the regular. He's got to commit to getting his body right.

The Mavs are now 2 games behind the 4 seed. He just got Western Conference Player of the Month and should be on 1st Team All NBA at this point.

He was really good the years just after LeBron left as well. Kind of where he proved how good he actually is. Can you really coach when you have LeBron on your team? His teams always play defense and always compete. Great gameday coach too.

But Riley has helped him as well, there is no doubt about that. "Heat Culture" which I hate not built without Riley but Spoelstra is easy one the of the best coaches in the NBA. Right now I would say he may be the best in the league or damn close to it. That said SPO has been around long enough where his body of work and influence stand on its own regardless of Riley

He dealt with all the BS with The Heatles really well. The guy, with Riley's help I'm sure, got Bron to play on the block and he was a monster. Bron has never gone back to playing that way, I believe.

He's been to the Finals 5 times. Has two chips. Wins consistently and, as you say, his teams always play D and compete. And in game, he's fantastic.

I will say, there is a world where they lose to the Mavs and they just blow up the Heat team and overreact. Spo did well coming back with that crew after that loss when JJ Barea was guarding Bron one on one at times.

Lakers are now 1 game ahead of the Pelicans and are currently in 9th. If they drop out of the top 10 their draft pick would also go to the Pelicans. Lebron trying to get the scoring record might be the only thing that saves them. Spurs would probably be the only team that could knock them out as Portland doesn't appear to want to win at this point. Probably a big reach at this point but out there for sure

They have the same look as our 01-02 team did the back half of that year.