NC State hit with NCAA charges | Syracusefan.com

NC State hit with NCAA charges

HtownOrange

Living Legend

The question remains, will NCState get away with the actions, a la UNC, or will NCState be dragged through the mud?

As a little brother to UNC, I believe they get punished. Your opinions?

I never liked Mark Gottfrieds comments about Jim Boeheim. Back in 2011 he said Boeheim needs to join the league before he starts popping off up there and making demands. I agree with Boeheim that the ACC tourney should be in NYC. I always thought the guy was sketchy. Good for you bro.

They will all get hit in due time - I think NC State is first because the NCAA was sniffing around the Smith situation for a while.

that said none of this will change anything

They will all get hit in due time - I think NC State is first because the NCAA was sniffing around the Smith situation for a while.

that said none of this will change anything
I agree. NC State was the lowest hanging fruit. Very clear cut evidence.

I really don’t expect the NCAA to come down as hard as they should. They’ll probably blast Gottfried, but go relatively light on the program. Why? Because this will set the template for the penalties later to be handed to Kansas and Arizona, and the NCAA will be trying very hard to set a precedent that will allow them to get away with a slap on the wrist.

I really don’t expect the NCAA to come down as hard as they should. They’ll probably blast Gottfried, but go relatively light on the program. Why? Because this will set the template for the penalties later to be handed to Kansas and Arizona, and the NCAA will be trying very hard to set a precedent that will allow them to get away with a slap on the wrist.

Bingo

Unfortunately, I agree 100%. I think you absolutely hit the nail on the head, which is even more infuriating given how out-of-whack our penalties were relative to our infractions.

But therein lies the inherent hypocrisy of the NCAA as an enforcement agency, their penalties are always arbitrary, capricious, and not tied to preceent.

Hasn't been Kansas been hit by the NCAA before (post Larry Brown). I don't think they are as sacred as some of the other blue bloods and Arizona won't be protected at all. Unless of course they all threaten to sue, then all bets are off.

what is the statute of limitations for us to bring suit to get the wins back?

some extra schollies for a few years would be nice too

The problem with the NCAA is that state schools are generally an extension of the State government, even if only under nominal control. Recall that the NCAA, though not tough enough, was on PedStateU until the State threatened a lawsuit. The NCAA does not have the resources to win against any State, let alone the backbone to do the right thing.

Just an opinion.

The problem with the NCAA is that state schools are generally an extension of the State government, even if only under nominal control. Recall that te NCAA, though not tough enough, was on PedStateU until the State threatened a lawsuit. The NCAA does not have the resources to win against any State, let alone the backbone to do the right thing.

Just an opinion.
I think the NFL v Brady situation kind of addressed that, going forward. As long as the organization followed it's rules, the judgment should not be touched by courts.

I think the NFL v Brady situation kind of addressed that, going forward. As long as the organization followed it's rules, the judgment should not be touched by courts.

You reference a case with two private parties as opposed to a case involving a sovereign state. When the State has virtually infinite resources, the private party has very little leverage. The NCAA capitulated almost immediately when the PA AG threatened to sue. The NCAA followed the rules and caved, essentially conceding that States may win any argument they wish to make against the NCAA.

Further, with the NCAA's history of inequity in their handling, findings, and punishments regarding alleged violations, it is highly reasonable to assume they will not have firm standing based on following their own rules.

Unfortunately, I agree 100%. I think you absolutely hit the nail on the head, which is even more infuriating given how out-of-whack our penalties were relative to our infractions.

But therein lies the inherent hypocrisy of the NCAA as an enforcement agency, their penalties are always arbitrary, capricious, and not tied to preceent.
obviously I agree about the ncaa's hypocrisy and capriciousness - that said, I actually think if they do let nc st off lightly they'll point to gottfried/staff being gone and essentially hold that out as a "guide" for the other schools - "hey get rid of your dirty coaches and we'll consider that your penance" - I believe it was all but declared during our investigation: give us Boeheim's head and we'll call it even

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom