NC State, how important is this victory? | Syracusefan.com

NC State, how important is this victory?

Dave85

Living Legend
Winning is everything. A road win is even better. How important is this win? Is this an absolute must win or our tournament hopes are over. Or, if we lose a close one it will just <<Dyson vacuum>>.

Winning is everything. A road win is even better. How important is this win? Is this an absolute must win or our tournament hopes are over. Or, if we lose a close one it will just <<Dyson vacuum>>.

If we keep winning every conference home game and losing every conference road game, we won't even sniff the bubble. I know "must-win" is overused, but this really is a must-win.

Last edited:
If we keep winning every conference home and losing every conference road game, we won't even sniff the bubble. I know "must-win" is overused, but this really is a must-win.

My thinking too. We just need to play one game at a time (sorry, I couldn't help it). Stupid but true sayings. :)

If we keep winning every conference home game and losing every conference road game, we won't even sniff the bubble. I know "must-win" is overused, but this really is a must-win.

Agreed. I'll also add that the end portion of our schedule is more difficult than the first half was, on paper. So when we play winnable opponents--especially on the road--we need to find a way to capitalize. Because we aren't [again, on paper] to win on the road at Louisville, at UVa, etc.

Such is the spot we find ourselves in, after such a poor start to the season--very slim margin for error.

Agreed. I'll also add that the end portion of our schedule is more difficult than the first half was, on paper. So when we play winnable opponents--especially on the road--we need to find a way to capitalize. Because we aren't [again, on paper] to win on the road at Louisville, at UVa, etc.

Such is the spot we find ourselves in, after such a poor start to the season--very slim margin for error.

Agreed, though luckily we don't go to UVA, we get them at home.

But look at our final 5 road games, Pitt is probably the only one we have a better chance of winning than this one. We probably need to win a minimum of 2 of the final 5 road games to have any kind of realistic shot, and this is close to our best opportunity.

It's big in that it will tell us a lot about how the rest of the season is likely to go. If we don't win this game, I'm not sure we will win a road game this year and I fear we will finish with a losing record. If we come out and look like Syracuse again, thus winning, there's no real limitations on what could happen in the next month.

It's big in that it will tell us a lot about how the rest of the season is likely to go. If we don't win this game, I'm not sure we will win a road game this year and I fear we will finish with a losing record. If we come out and look like Syracuse again, thus winning, there's no real limitations on what could happen in the next month.

Very well put. Doesn't mean that we WILL qualify for the NCAA tournament--which would be a remarkable turnaround after such a poor start--but there's no limit on what this team could accomplish if they win tonight. Plus, they'd be that much closer to making Lunardi eat his idiotic words.

What did Lunardi say? I must have missed it.

He is still butt hurt about last year. Something unnecessarily snarky and unfunny, about making a public service announcement so that SU fans don't get bent out of shape when we don't make it. F him.

And for me, this isn't just about that statement. I've been anti-Lunardi for years, over how pointless bracketology is.

Here's what I found

"The following is presented as a public service so that we may prepare ourselves for the inevitable: Syracuse is going to miss the 2017 NCAA tournament.

The Orange figure to be solid favorites in no more than four games the rest of the way, and that's without mentioning a current RPI of 161 and projected RPI of 103.

Say what you want about the RPI, but no one is getting an at-large bid with numbers like that. Not even Syracuse."

He's right they won't make it with an RPI of 103, but they're also well ahead of that now, last I checked.

Agreed, though luckily we don't go to UVA, we get them at home.

But look at our final 5 road games, Pitt is probably the only one we have a better chance of winning than this one. We probably need to win a minimum of 2 of the final 5 road games to have any kind of realistic shot, and this is close to our best opportunity.

We're due to beat Clemson. They've lost 6 out of 7.

We're due to beat Clemson. They've lost 6 out of 7.

If you're a Clemson fan though, you're probably saying they're due. Lost to UNC in OT, @ND by 5, Virginia by 4,, Virginia tech by 1.

I'm not saying we can't or won't win that game, but tonight is close to a pickem and Clemson is probably going to be Clemson -5 or so.

It's tough out here for potential bubble sniffers.

He is still butt hurt about last year. Something unnecessarily snarky and unfunny, about making a public service announcement so that SU fans don't get bent out of shape when we don't make it. F him.

And for me, this isn't just about that statement. I've been anti-Lunardi for years, over how pointless bracketology is.

I struggle to imagine anyone who is pro-Lunardi. Seriously, what's to like about the guy?

the next 4 are all huge. highly ranked UVA at home, three on the road. gotta take 3 of the next 4 to even think we have a shot at the dance

I must say that the comments in this thread are mostly realistic and I generally agree. Optimism is nice, but realism is sometimes tough to accept regarding a team we all love.

Two more road losses may be all that we can take. Of course, that idea is based on holding our own court.

Win the next 2, and we are on the right side of the bubble by Saturday evening. Win the next 3 and we are in.

LGO !!

This game is all about keeping the hope as a fan. Lose tonight and much of it is gone.

Lunardi is fortunate in that he has carved out his place in the college basketball media pantheon with bracktology which essentially, even if it is scientifically based is seldom an accurate appraisal of where teams will end up on selection sunday. A more accurate monicker for his system would be "Brick mythology"

Win tonight and win Saturday puts us in a MUCH better position, obviously. Clemson and GT are winnable games on the road. With that said, the way this SU team has played on the road this year does not instill much faith in me. We looked decent against VT but in every other road game we have incredibly under-performed.

Interesting that many of the thoughts in this thread are exactly what NC St. fans are thinking.

That's because they are in a very similar situation and record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom