NC State Postgame Thoughts 2 | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Postgame Thoughts 2

I could not become a NC ST fan with a gun held to my head!!! BTW I live 6 miles from NC ST campus!
You should at least enjoy the Raulston. They have been very generous sharing with a new arboretum being established outside of Syracuse.

The fact that this far into the season we don't have any action to get Chris shots is crazy. The fact that two years in Chris doesn't know how to work to get shots is...crazy. Finally I love Maliq but I didn't notice him on the floor in the second half unless he was getting dunks blocked or throwing passes away.
This should be in McNamara's wheelhouse as a teacher, shouldn't it?

...good balanced post! I can agree and disagree with few points. Big disagree was Judah and Cope being only O in 2nd half. This is the result of ALL Judah. He did not pass and several of his misses were gathered in by Cope for a put back. Jusah has to recognize there are other players on the floor. He will be better and the team will be better if he incudes them in the game!!!
That will never happen, Judah has been allowed to play that way his entire life, and he won't change now.

The fact that this far into the season we don't have any action to get Chris shots is crazy. The fact that two years in Chris doesn't know how to work to get shots is...crazy. Finally I love Maliq but I didn't notice him on the floor in the second half unless he was getting dunks blocked or throwing passes away.
Doesn't know how to work to get shots or refuses to do it because it takes a ton of effort and hard work? I know where I stand. so a guy like Jordan Hawkins was just coached better to move without the basketball or does he just work harder?

Why would anyone waste time running screens/ pindowns for a shooter who is too lazy to work to get open?

Most of the time it isn’t bell just standing there. Most of the time it’s where he is supposed to be doing what he is supposed too. We often run what I call a 3 man offense. Bell in one corner and someone else in the other. That leaves Brown and two guards up top with brown setting screens to free up the guard for penetration. We ran it far far too much the 2nd half. People really think that Bell would just stand there and coaches wouldn’t say a word?

Doesn't know how to work to get shots or refuses to do it because it takes a ton of effort and hard work? I know where I stand. so a guy like Jordan Hawkins was just coached better to move without the basketball or does he just work harder?

Why would anyone waste time running screens/ pindowns for a shooter who is too lazy to work to get open?
Bell's one three point attempt in the second half came off a curl around a screen.

That one play looked like Andy Rautins or any number of our other designated shooters in the second half of the JB era. I wish they would run that play more often. It's so simple to run, and with a tall guy like Bell, who also has a quick release, it should be available often.

Bell might not have the endurance to do it the way Rautins and Cooney did. The amount of running off screens they did every game would be cruel if you had that as the conditioning drill in practice.

Most of the time it isn’t bell just standing there. Most of the time it’s where he is supposed to be doing what he is supposed too. We often run what I call a 3 man offense. Bell in one corner and someone else in the other. That leaves Brown and two guards up top with brown setting screens to free up the guard for penetration. We ran it far far too much the 2nd half. People really think that Bell would just stand there and coaches wouldn’t say a word?
The offensive sets involve way too much isolation.

Sometimes it's the best call, but last night during the comeback, Mintz and Starling couldn't really score.

Copeland did ok, though.

Yet some people still think losing McLeod was no big deal.
It's extremely hard to play a season without a backup center.

It's too bad Hima and Carey are hurt and can't contribute now that McLeod is gone. What an unlucky sequence of injuries and bad behavior to hollow out our big men.

Brown has been amazing, playing out of position and going for so many minutes. He's averaged 36 the last five games, and 33 since McLeod was injured, all against taller, heavier players. And frankly, it feels like more that that. Red must be sneaking him minute long breaks here and there, because I would have guessed Brown had played at least 38-39 the last few games until I looked it up.

It's extremely hard to play a season without a backup center.

It's too bad Hima and Carey are hurt and can't contribute now that McLeod is gone. What an unlucky sequence of injuries and bad behavior to hollow out our big men.

Brown has been amazing, playing out of position and going for so many minutes. He's averaged 36 the last five games, and 33 since McLeod was injured, all against taller, heavier players. And frankly, it feels like more that that. Red Missy be sneaking him minute long breaks here and there, because I would have guessed Brown had played at least 38-39 the last few games until I looked it up.
He rarely sits now unless he's in foul trouble. He is being asked to do far more than is reasonable now, on both ends of the court. Some of the criticism he gets for not being more aggressive offensively, or sometimes not being able to finish strongly at the rim, is ridiculous.

Yes, our standard offense is high pick and roll with a shooter (Bell) in the corner. The concept is to force the defense to pick your poison. Either stop the ball handler, stop the roller or stop the shooter. Early on, NC State was basically doubling the guard on the pick, we'd hit Maliq on the roll, the guy covering Bell in the corner would drop down to help on Maliq and leave Bell with just enough room to get his shot off.

In the second half, the guy covering Bell did not leave him at all. Face guarded him the whole time. We did nothing to adjust for that, aside from running Bell off one curl screen on the wing. That being said, I don't think Bell is a very good shooter on the move like that. He likes to have his feet set when he catches the pass and it's one motion straight up or he'll pump fake, side dribble, re-set his feet and go up. Rarely do you ever see him shooting off motion or off balance.

This should be in McNamara's wheelhouse as a teacher, shouldn't it?

They said he will be doing the Adrian Autry Show tomorrow night instead of the head coach. You might want to call in.

Yes, our standard offense is high pick and roll with a shooter (Bell) in the corner. The concept is to force the defense to pick your poison. Either stop the ball handler, stop the roller or stop the shooter. Early on, NC State was basically doubling the guard on the pick, we'd hit Maliq on the roll, the guy covering Bell in the corner would drop down to help on Maliq and leave Bell with just enough room to get his shot off.

In the second half, the guy covering Bell did not leave him at all. Face guarded him the whole time. We did nothing to adjust for that, aside from running Bell off one curl screen on the wing. That being said, I don't think Bell is a very good shooter on the move like that. He likes to have his feet set when he catches the pass and it's one motion straight up or he'll pump fake, side dribble, re-set his feet and go up. Rarely do you ever see him shooting off motion or off balance.

Correct- he’s not a good shooter off the bounce or coming hard off a screen. That single play was lazy defense but also a lower pct shot for Bell. He’s a good athlete with a quick release but his footwork is slow.

Bell's one three point attempt in the second half came off a curl around a screen.

That one play looked like Andy Rautins or any number of our other designated shooters in the second half of the JB era. I wish they would run that play more often. It's so simple to run, and with a tall guy like Bell, who also has a quick release, it should be available often.

Bell might not have the endurance to do it the way Rautins and Cooney did. The amount of running off screens they did every game would be cruel if you had that as the conditioning drill in practice.
It’s not a matter of endurance. That play requires so much balance and effort to stop your momentum to get square to the basket and elevate straight up and down. The shot he missed in the first half shows he’s not good on the move. Momentum kept him drifting to the baseline and sent the ball right.

They said he will be doing the Adrian Autry Show tomorrow night instead of the head coach. You might want to call in.
That’s different. Did they say why?

What’s truly insane about this is he went through the draft process and had to hear improvements in his shooting were absolutely necessary to get drafted. Yet this is the result?

The more I watch the more I notice his shot is far more flawed than JJs. Several announcers have called it out but it’s really poor. JJ has worked hard on his it’s clear so not going to point to coaching on this one I think it’s on Judah. He seems to be hellbent on being the same player he was just a little better at those things. He’s had some really good all around games and then he reverts back to his comfort zone and that includes bad habits too.

We often run what I call a 3 man offense. Bell in one corner and someone else in the other. That leaves Brown and two guards up top with brown setting screens to free up the guard for penetration. We ran it far far too much the 2nd half. People really think that Bell would just stand there and coaches wouldn’t say a word?
I'm ok with blaming the guards, the coaches, and Bell. They get things done some times, but holy hell does it look awful and ineffective when the other team plays defense.

There's a reason SU is in the 100s in offensive efficiency right next to Stetson, Northern Colorado, and Youngstown State.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom