NC State Postgame Thoughts 2 | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Postgame Thoughts 2

I think it’s more the offense we run than anything else. We spread the ball and dribble/drive open space. Pick n roll movement also. I think it’s time to actually start running action to get bell open like you suggest. Red needs to dig out the sets we used to run for Andy. Very similar to the famous Reggie miller and Ray Allen actions. Great shooters never stop moving. This is the beautiful part of watching a young team. They’re getting better right in front of our eyes. The low points are brutal. But it’s obvious they’re responding to serious adversity. I’m impressed.
Some good suggestions!!!!

Our last offensive possession was bigger than just this win. It was Copeland with the ball getting instructions from Red with Mintz asking for it at the top of the key. Red decided to roll with Cope & he drove & delivered with the GW FTs & then lockdown D on their final shot. As I said in the game thread, it was a “changing-of-the-guard” moment. Loved Cope talking to the NCST students after they were taunting him on the baseline. He’s sometimes out of control, racks up silly fouls, & is often too “razzle dazzle” instead of making the simple play but he’s growing & learning with every game & his hustle/effort is never in question. Cope is this team’s heartbeat & the closest thing we have to a leader. I want the ball in his hands when it matters most.
I’m self-replying to double down & make a strong statement here with this take: Copeland, even with the flaws in his game that he will undoubtedly continue to work his ass off to correct, officially became the leader of this team tonight. He’ll be the leader until he graduates.

I’m just as confident in this take as my Lundardi/Cannibal take in the game thread lol.

I agree 100% on Judah getting tunnel vision. I do believe it comes from his believe in himself vs him being selfish. I truly think he is trying his best to win and he is used to being the go to guy. It's why Red sat him for extended periods and why going with Q the last possession was brilliant. Reds in a tough spot. He can't win without Judah, yet he has to try and corral him. Dated if you do or don't scenario.
Maddening for sure:)

I truly don't care why he does it; he's just a bad teammate in my book.

It must literally be 50 times this year we have had a 3 or 2 on 1 fast break, and I don't recall a single time he has passed the ball.

He would rather dribble into 2 defenders to try to draw a foul than pass to an open man.

I TOTALLY agree with you. As negative as I may sound on Judah, I actually love the guy. I just wish he could see other players! Judah is a tremendous player but you can not win a basketball game with one player! If he only used other players, it would make him several times better!
The problem is all his previous coaches have let him play that way, so he isn' t going to suddenly change.

I have no problem with it. As Jake and dasher mentioned, this is the fan base that yelled the racist crap at my beloved Kueth. I will forever root against NCf-ing ST for what hey did to him.

They were on Q all game.

We are the fan base that loves and idolizes Devo…I’m sure Eric was right there yelling at them as well from in front of his TV. I sure was.
Yeah, if they were dealing with racist crap that certainly changes things. But this stuff has been going on all season. Mintz woofing at the G-town bench is a good example that sticks out in my mind.

You're right about Devo, he was always woofing...but he played for some really good teams as well! I know this is just part of the game in a lot of ways now a days. I just don't like all the talking without the credibility. Especially when they don't even seem to respect their own head coach the way they should.

Salute to Chris Bell for the volcanic first half. Ding dong MFers!

Salute to the zebras for not calling a garbage foul on Horne’s pathetic shot to tie the game!

Salute to Cope and Mintz for the clutch FTs in the final minute and saving what was settling up to be an excruciating loss at the highest level!
ric flair GIF

Actually Starling passed it to NCST twice when he thought he was passing it to Bell. He is not a PG by any stretch.
You know I seen that a few times in this game. Seems like our passers and our receivers were on different pages? I never played basketball (makes me an expert, jusst ask me!) but we have these miss-communications in every game. It just looks weird. We end up tossing the ball out of bounds????

On offense if all Bell is going to do is stand in corner and the defender is just going to face guard him and not help then there is zero reason for Bell to be on the court in the second half. First offense was good because NC State was helping off of everyone leading to open shots in the second half they stopped basically taking Bell out of the game. Bell doesn’t defend rebound or do anything else on the court even with his first half he became a liability in the second.

that’s been something I’ve talked about when he committed. He doesn’t play above the rim.

That's not true. How many times has Q made the slip pass to Maliq for the dunk? I'll bet those account for most of Q's assists this year. Unfortunately, he's our only guard who seems to make that pass for Maliq.

Obviously very happy with the win. Sometimes we judge games like the only factors are what our players do. The other team is trying to win too!

Bell got a lot of open looks in the first half in unsettled situations because we forced turnovers and got out in transition.

Once we got out in transition the ball movement was better especially with Judah out. One of Judah’s biggest issues is he “does not push” transition opportunities.

The combination of Judah’s tendencies and better ball security by NCState slowed the games pace. That limited zBell’s looks because doesn’t move much and tends to get most of his looks when his defender has to leave him to help. NCState did not leave him at all in the 2nd.

Thank God for Q. He had 2, maybe three catches of Judah air balls and put them all back. He ability to create space with his dribble has gotten better during the season, and he’s unselfish. If he’d dial it down a notch, he could run point next year…just not sure he can dial it back. He also rebounds pretty good for his size.

Hima really struggles. Carey has been out a looooong time in concussion protocol. Starting to worry about that.

Brown has been human the last few games, wonder if he’s wearing down with all the minutes play up a position all year long.

I thought JJ played better than his stats showed. He had a couple bad plays late, but he makes some tough shots when the offense stagnates.

Judah’s game speaks for itself. It can be very hard to watch and he certainly slows down the pace and over dribbles. But he can make shots. But it comes at a cost.

17-10 …there is no doubt I would have signed up for that pre-season. Especially with the injuries and Benny dismissal. We’ve certainly left some meat on the bone a few nights, but this team has serious size/rebounding limitations. I think they’ve been largely well coached.

I really thought not only were we going to find a way to lose, but end up losing by like 8-10. Credit to the guys for buckling down and getting a big road win. It's annoying that it feels like the GT loss is more damaging then this is helpful and in a weird way we'd be in better shape tourney wise if we beat GT and lost tonight?

How much longer is Carey out? I know he's not very good but I feel like having access to his tallness and five fouls as a last resort is important.
I sure hope it's Saturday. He obviously wasn't going to play tonight since the team went straight from Atlanta to Raleigh.

How much longer is Carey out? I know he's not very good but I feel like having access to his tallness and five fouls as a last resort is important.
...I am agreeing with you Eric! Seems like Carey has been out for more nickle dime reasons than any other player this year? Why can't we get players that you put band-aides on and put back in the game. We need more Dolezaj's!!!!

Obviously very happy with the win. Sometimes we judge games like the only factors are what our players do. The other team is trying to win too!

Bell got a lot of open looks in the first half in unsettled situations because we forced turnovers and got out in transition.

Once we got out in transition the ball movement was better especially with Judah out. One of Judah’s biggest issues is he “does not push” transition opportunities.

The combination of Judah’s tendencies and better ball security by NCState slowed the games pace. That limited zBell’s looks because doesn’t move much and tends to get most of his looks when his defender has to leave him to help. NCState did not leave him at all in the 2nd.

Thank God for Q. He had 2, maybe three catches of Judah air balls and put them all back. He ability to create space with his dribble has gotten better during the season, and he’s unselfish. If he’d dial it down a notch, he could run point next year…just not sure he can dial it back. He also rebounds pretty good for his size.

Hima really struggles. Carey has been out a looooong time in concussion protocol. Starting to worry about that.

Brown has been human the last few games, wonder if he’s wearing down with all the minutes play up a position all year long.

I thought JJ played better than his stats showed. He had a couple bad plays late, but he makes some tough shots when the offense stagnates.

Judah’s game speaks for itself. It can be very hard to watch and he certainly slows down the pace and over dribbles. But he can make shots. But it comes at a cost.

17-10 …there is no doubt I would have signed up for that pre-season. Especially with the injuries and Benny dismissal. We’ve certainly left some meat on the bone a few nights, but this team has serious size/rebounding limitations. I think they’ve been largely well coached.
It's not easy going against someone that weighs 50 more pounds. Actually, like 60 more. That matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom