NCAA 1st Round Games for March 18 | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA 1st Round Games for March 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you about the ACC this season.

I just have a problem with high seedings (higher than deserved) of teams that did well three months ago but are on a bad run coming in to the tourney. It screws up the competitive balance of the brackets. Doesn't happen a lot but it happens every year. Back in the day they would look at last ten games as one metric. They did away with that. unfortunate in my view.
I was happy that they got away from the last 10
games because the top teams always had loaded back end schedules because of TV.

The larger issue is OOC games played in January and February have mostly been eliminated as all these conferences have increased the amount of league games they play. It’s on the coaches to have their teams ready early. It was something we used to be good at until recently.

Cummings ice cold. Great effort and game by Gaters, Lengel's profile got a boost tonight

I was happy that they got away from the last 10
games because the top teams always had loaded back end schedules because of TV.

The larger issue is OOC games played in January and February have mostly been eliminated as all these conferences have increased the amount of league games they play. It’s on the coaches to have their teams ready early. It was something we used to be good at until recently.
Depends. If your team is in the same bracket with some team that was a Nov/Dec wonder but is coming in to the NCAAT on a downer then u love the fact they no longer care about the last ten.

You make Langel the head coach at a P5 with two stud recruiters and things can get fun

Depends. If your team is in the same bracket with some team that was a Nov/Dec wonder but is coming in to the NCAAT on a downer then u love the fact they no longer care about the last ten.
We got in a few years because we played well in November and December, but stunk in February. One time we went to a FF and a couple times we made a Sweet 16.

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of correlation to how teams finish the season to how they play in the tournament. And for that reason I don’t think the variance is as large as you suggest. If it was I would have expected Iowa and VPI to play a lot better this weekend.

I agree with you about the ACC this season.

I just have a problem with high seedings (higher than deserved) of teams that did well three months ago but are on a bad run coming in to the tourney. It screws up the competitive balance of the brackets. Doesn't happen a lot but it happens every year. Back in the day they would look at last ten games as one metric. They did away with that. unfortunate in my view.

For sure it would certainly change the fates of a few in/outs and of some teams in the top 4, but not the conference fates for the most part. Would have (I think) changed Duke this year although they make **** up on the fly with Duke so who knows.

I used to be very pro "All Games are the Same whenever" but I am in the middle now. My concern is that it adds an extra element of judgment and when you add judgment it only hurts teams like Davidson and Loyola for example, and only helps the best conferences. But then again the whole thing is judgment so f it.

Last edited:
Colgate was inside the number for 39 minutes this suuuuucks

doesn’t Steratore do NFL replay reviews on CBS too. Is he the guy who was an an NFL and college basketball ref?

If it was me I would choose the 68 teams, and strongly consider generating a ranking list purely on a formula that is not the NET.. Then fill out the bracket accordingly. If you want to tweak the formula to emphasize late games then so be it. Tweak it annually. Its equal for everybody.

Probably would never happen because the NCAA and the media love the attention that seeding discussions generate.

doesn’t Steratore do NFL replay reviews on CBS too. Is he the guy who was an an NFL and college basketball ref?

I was thinking the same thing the other day.

Per Wiki
"Eugene Joseph Steratore (born February 8, 1963)[1] is a former American football official in the National Football League (NFL) from 2003 until his retirement from the NFL in June 2018.[2] He also worked as a National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I men's basketball referee from 1997 to 2018."

Nice showing for Colgate…
I was cheering hard for them to win, but I guess talent takes in the end.

Wisconsin defense was great in the 2nd half. Good adjustments, and smothering at times.

We got in a few years because we played well in November and December, but stunk in February. One time we went to a FF and a couple times we made a Sweet 16.

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of correlation to how teams finish the season to how they play in the tournament. And for that reason I don’t think the variance is as large as you suggest. If it was I would have expected Iowa and VPI to play a lot better this weekend.
Let's agree to disagree.

You can always find exceptions here and there. On the flipside u don't see many teams that have been playing poorly down the stretch and then re-ignite.

Alabama is a perfect example. Living large off a couple of big time wins well before Christmas but playing like hot garbage coming in. Not surprised that they got drilled by ND.

For sure it would certainly change the fates of a few in/outs and of some teams in the top 4, but not the conference fates for the most part. Would have (I think) changed Duke this year although they make **** up on the fly with Duke so who knows.

I used to be very pro "All Games are the Same whenever" but I am in the middle now. My concern is that it adds an extra element of judgment and when you add judgment it only hurts teams like Davidson and Loyola for example, and only helps the best conferences. But then again the whole thing is judgment so f it.
Probably doesn't make a lot of sense but I care how it affects seeding more than who is in or out. I generally assume the little guy will get screwed on the in or out issue.

The portal has changed everything.
And even before that, the plethora of early departures took some teams that were good one year and made them irrelevant the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom