NCAA 2nd Round Games for March 20 | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA 2nd Round Games for March 20

Go google Myron Piggie and Duke.
They cheat and don’t get punished.

Syracuse commits 4 misdemeanors gets treated like a habitual offender.

Coach K and Duke are cheaters.
Good riddance. He has been such a friend to Jim Boeheim. He was so good to us he recruited Jordan Tucker to sit on his bench as the 11th guy when Syracuse really wanted and recruited him hard.
K didn’t need Tucker and the kid left halfway thru his freshman year.

K and Boeheim are friends. K hasn’t done anything for Syracuse hoops.
Duke can’t lose fast enough.
C’mon. I’m not advocating for a full throated defense of Duke. I hate them like everyone else and agree that they cheat and that watching Duke lose is fun for Syracuse fans.

And yet, when any ACC member gets to the top of a sport in any given year - it’s good for Syracuse. If it’s your position that it’s not - that’s the case I’ll hear

Reactions: cto
Yeah I just don't think Duke's postseason success has any notable impact on SU hoops. There are five power conferences plus the BE. These conferences' postseason success will wax and wane from year to year, except for the B1G. :). I think u overrate the importance of conference postseason success with regard to our recruiting success. We need to recruit better, regardless of how the ACC is doing. Our sub-par recruiting can not be blamed on the ACC's postseason performance.

The postseason dollars split 15 ways are the proverbial pimple on an elephant's @ss. They're not going to matter to our hoops program at all. It might help the tennis team but most of us are not too concerned about that. Certainly not worth rooting for Duke over that.
Hard disagree. College sports is always a perception game. Postseason success helps the perception of the league. It’s good for us when the ACC does well

The thing that chips away at that is the better data and it being actually used to distinguish conference strength

I return to the simple logic - I want the teams I play in any given year to win all their games but one.

Reactions: cto
C’mon. I’m not advocating for a full throated defense of Duke. I hate them like everyone else and agree that they cheat and that watching Duke lose is fun for Syracuse fans.

And yet, when any ACC member gets to the top of a sport in any given year - it’s good for Syracuse. If it’s your position that it’s not - that’s the case I’ll hear
Want to root for Miami to beat Auburn sure. Duke and Coach K no thanks.
The NCAAT credit is worth 300k per team. Sorry I am not rooting for K and Duke.
I am remember when he yelled at Oregon Player Dylan Brooks at the end of their 2016. K lied about what was said and if their wasn’t hot mic the lie wouldn’t have been exposed.
He plays the media game.

Eagles fans don’t root for the Cowboys.
Red Sox fans don’t root for the Yankees.

I am not rooting for Duke. People have a right to pull for who they want. Their is no right answer it’s subjective.

Last edited:
Want to root for Miami to beat Auburn sure. Duke and Coach K no thanks.
The NCAAT credit is worth 300k per team. Sorry I am not rooting for K and Duke.
I am remember when he yelled at Oregon Player Dylan Brooks at the end of their 2016. K lied about what was said and if their wasn’t hot mic the lie wouldn’t have been exposed.
He plays the media game.

Eagles fans don’t root for the Cowboys.
Red Sox fans don’t root for the Yankees.

I am rooting for Duke. People have a right to pull for who they want. Their is no right answer it’s subjective.
You do you.

You can hate Duke and root for them to lose and when they win it will still be good for the conference.

I root for the conference all the time *while* still enjoying them losing.

Hard disagree. College sports is always a perception game. Postseason success helps the perception of the league. It’s good for us when the ACC does well

The thing that chips away at that is the better data and it being actually used to distinguish conference strength

I return to the simple logic - I want the teams I play in any given year to win all their games but one.
I can understand your last sentence to a certain degree as it relates to strength of schedule during the regular season and maximizing your rankings for NCAA seeding or bowl invites, CFP (one can dream) etc. Once those teams enter the postseason their success at that point is doing nothing for SU. But it may help that particular team's brand.

UVA won the natty three years ago. How did that accrue to our benefit? Our recruiting has been rather abysmal since then. Has BC and Pitt benefited from that title? Matter of fact how has that natty helped UVA? They've done very little to capitalize on that win in terms of recruitment success. Big time studs won't go there because of the style of play. They could give a sheet they won the natty three years ago.

We will stand and fall on our own in terms of recruiting, coaching, player development etc. None of that will be assisted by the postseason strength of fellow conference members. That postseason success or failure is kinda random and volatile.

Folks that think a few extra shekels from NCAA tourney revenue sharing or that a deep run by Duke, UNC etc. will make a difference for SU hoops are, quite frankly, delusional.

I can understand your last sentence to a certain degree as it relates to strength of schedule during the regular season and maximizing your rankings for NCAA seeding or bowl invites, CFP (one can dream) etc. Once those teams enter the postseason their success at that point is doing nothing for SU. But it may help that particular team's brand.

UVA won the natty three years ago. How did that accrue to our benefit? Our recruiting has been rather abysmal since then. Has BC and Pitt benefited from that title? Matter of fact how has that natty helped UVA? They've done very little to capitalize on that win in terms of recruitment success. Big time studs won't go there because of the style of play. They could give a sheet they won the natty three years ago.

We will stand and fall on our own in terms of recruiting, coaching, player development etc. None of that will be assisted by the postseason strength of fellow conference members. That postseason success or failure is kinda random and volatile.

Folks that think a few extra shekels from NCAA tourney revenue sharing or that a deep run by Duke, UNC etc. will make a difference for SU hoops are, quite frankly, delusional.
SU Athletics scrapes for every dollar it gets. No one here gives it more than it gets from ACC post-season units. Maybe in total, all the people here don't give it as much as it gets from those units. Money greases the wheel of college sports... not people griping on a fan forum. Why is that so hard to understand?

SU Athletics scrapes for every dollar it gets. No one here gives it more than it gets from ACC post-season units. Maybe in total, all the people here don't give it as much as it gets from those units. Money greases the wheel of college sports... not people griping on a fan forum. Why is that so hard to understand?
Football TV money gives the ACC and Syracuse an annual check of atleast $32.3 million per year.

NCAAT credits are a cherry on top. Football TV money is what butters the bread for Syracuse and all P5 conference teams athletic departments.

Football TV money gives the ACC and Syracuse an annual check of atleast $32.3 million per year.

NCAAT credits are a cherry on top. Football TV money is what butters the bread for Syracuse and all P5 conference teams athletic departments.
That proves my point. We get way more money from our ACC affiliation than we get from any other source, aside from ticket revenues. With very few exceptions (most recently John Lally) we don't get big gifts from donors the way, for example, SEC schools do.

That proves my point. We get way more money from our ACC affiliation than we get from any other source, aside from ticket revenues. With very few exceptions (most recently John Lally) we don't get big gifts from donors the way, for example, SEC schools do.
Who would think anything differently than that? Think everyone, or at least I assume everyone understands that ACC money pays the bills. If it didn't, we would certainly all be a lot happier playing basketball games against our historic rivals instead of NC State and Wake.

lol who's griping on a fan forum? I'm just responding to the ridiculous chastising on your part that we're supposed to root for Duke because it may bring in a few more dollars to the SU Athletic Department budget or because K is a good friend of JB. Sorry those aren't good enough reasons to root for Duke. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

That doesn't prove your point at all. The $32.3 million that Alsacs references is coming in whether Duke plays in the NIT or wins the NC.

Calling us out cuz we're not carrying our weight in terms of donations, eh?

I give up. Either you guys don't understand English ... or just pretend you don't. This forum used to be fun. Sadly it's become humorless and nasty. Bring back the days of Raoul Duke, Viva Peru, UEO, Domefoam, Alibrat, etc. I never demanded anyone should root for Duke. I merely explained why I was rooting for Duke (and all ACC teams in the tourney). A stronger ACC means a stronger SU.

Well it's a Syracuse sports forum and all 3 flagship programs are struggling to say the least. When the hiring of a pair of assistant football coaches is the highlight of the athletic department in the past 6 months, think that probably lends itself to not being a happy, joyful place.

I confess that i rooted for Georgetown to beat Houston in '84.

View attachment 215830
I rooted for storz to beat Duke in 1999

20190604T0817-1916-CNS-CONFESSIONAL-PRIVILEGE-IMPORTANCE.jpg

lol who's griping on a fan forum? I'm just responding to the ridiculous chastising on your part that we're supposed to root for Duke because it may bring in a few more dollars to the SU Athletic Department budget or because K is a good friend of JB. Sorry those aren't good enough reasons to root for Duke. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
Oh boy you did it now

star-lord-is-able-to-fly-with-just-two-small-blasts-1641929679.jpg

I give up. Either you guys don't understand English ... or just pretend you don't. This forum used to be fun. Sadly it's become humorless and nasty. Bring back the days of Raoul Duke, Viva Peru, UEO, Domefoam, Alibrat, etc. I never demanded anyone should root for Duke. I merely explained why I was rooting for Duke (and all ACC teams in the tourney). A stronger ACC means a stronger SU.
you rang??

loki_9.jpg

what universe is this...

A stronger ACC means a stronger SU.
but we need a weaker DUKE to ever reach the top of the conference. their excellence doesn't help us at all.

People can root for whomever they want. It’s completely subjective.

I just would say Duke is like the Lakers, Cowboys, Patriots, Yankees, Notre Dame football in that a lot more people love rooting against them than for them.

I have family that went to Notre Dame i love my godfather and get along with my cousins. I won’t root for Notre Dame football ever though.

It’s fine to root for whomever you want. I just think more people dislike Duke than want them to win. The NCAAT credit money isn’t enough for me. ACC basketball will be fine. I will root for ACC football teams as the conference needs to win more to get more money in the future.

Again, each of us can root for whomever we want for whatever reasons we have. Who we root for impacts nothing.

Again, each of us can root for whomever we want for whatever reasons we have. Who we root for impacts nothing.
It impacts my mental health, but not like it used to, and based on a lot of the posts by people on this board, not you SWC75, the mental health of their families.

I can root against Duke but still be happy if their winning means more money and third-hand prestige for SU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom