NCAA athlete's profit | Syracusefan.com

NCAA athlete's profit

"Athletes would be allowed to enter into agreements with individuals deemed to be school boosters, the person said... The recommendations also call for allowing athletes to sign autographs for money, sell their memorabilia, and be paid for personal appearances and working as an instructor in their sport. "

Welcome to the Marek Dolezaj Academy, sponsored by Adam Weitsman. :rolleyes:

Is it too early to start talking salary cap and/or luxury tax for exceeding the cap?

"Athletes would be allowed to enter into agreements with individuals deemed to be school boosters, the person said... The recommendations also call for allowing athletes to sign autographs for money, sell their memorabilia, and be paid for personal appearances and working as an instructor in their sport. "

Welcome to the Marek Dolezaj Academy, sponsored by Adam Weitsman. :rolleyes:
Good point...if adam opens up the basketball academy then these kids can work their as instructors and build a pipeline for elite recruits at the same time attending his elite prep school.

Weitsman!!!!
Shoot there's tons more. We're in good shape here lol. Although I'm sure there tons of bigtime programs that are. Not even sure how this would work? Like isn't Phil knight considered a booster for Oregon? Couldn't they get pretty much any player they want? Or am I missing something here?

I’m all for this - a bit surprised the NCAA will agree to let boosters sponsor players, but it’s not my money, so rock on

Gotta hope this drives a stake through the g league and 1-and-done crap.

There will be some college players making more than they would with an NBA rookie contract.

Why should there be a cap? Just saw an article that a company did a research study on the worth of a 3,4 and 5 star athlete. 5 star athlete is worth $600k per year to the school... pretty wild to think about that so they should be making as much as possible. How’s this for a stat- Texas A&M sold 76 million worth of Johnny Manziel apparel and jerseys his last year there. Because he’s an idiot and his NFL career flopped, he’s borderline Broke. I’m sorry but if I account for 76m of my name, I deserve Damn near close to that amount of my OWN JERSEY sales... love that ncaa is finally waking up on this

Hey it can only be a good thing for us. One of the largest fan bases and most valuable programs in the country with some wealthy boosters/famous media people/etc that go nuts over college basketball. Gotta think we pull in some top talent ;)

Why should there be a cap? Just saw an article that a company did a research study on the worth of a 3,4 and 5 star athlete. 5 star athlete is worth $600k per year to the school... pretty wild to think about that so they should be making as much as possible. How’s this for a stat- Texas A&M sold 76 million worth of Johnny Manziel apparel and jerseys his last year there. Because he’s an idiot and his NFL career flopped, he’s borderline Broke. I’m sorry but if I account for 76m of my name, I deserve Damn near close to that amount of my OWN JERSEY sales... love that ncaa is finally waking up on this

I don’t know that it’s practical but one you go down the road of allowing athletes to receive cash you will increase the divide between those programs that can compete for top athletes and those that cannot.

In theory the schools with the largest alumni bases will be able to generate the most money to spend on player “sponsorships”. The schools that have the most successful and benevolent boosters....think Phil Knight, T Boone Pickens, Kevin Plank types will also be well situated, schools that have strong fan bases will also be well positioned.

We won’t be in terrible position but we haven’t been at the top of the list of schools spending on athletic facilities so why should we expect to be able to generate enough to be able to compete in a free agent compensation marketplace.

I don’t know that it’s practical but one you go down the road of allowing athletes to receive cash you will increase the divide between those programs that can compete for top athletes and those that cannot.

In theory the schools with the largest alumni bases will be able to generate the most money to spend on player “sponsorships”. The schools that have the most successful and benevolent boosters...think Phil Knight, T Boone Pickens, Kevin Plank types will also be well situated, schools that have strong fan bases will also be well positioned.

We won’t be in terrible position but we haven’t been at the top of the list of schools spending on athletic facilities so why should we expect to be able to generate enough to be able to compete in a free agent compensation marketplace.

Well the NCAA was penalizing Syracuse for spending a couple 100 bucks while guys were getting 6 figures at Duke so I would like to hear what you propose?

Well the NCAA was penalizing Syracuse for spending a couple 100 bucks while guys were getting 6 figures at Duke so I would like to hear what you propose?

i don’t have a proposal, but how is it different than the problems already faced in most of the pro sport leagues. Without controls you have “haves” and “have nots”. Not sure we’ll be in a better competitive position in a world where money is allowed to flow to players than we are today where it is in theory not allowed.

I think the real answer is return college athletics to an amateur pursuit where the sports are played by college students, rather than athletes forced to divert through college on a path to a pro career.

i don’t have a proposal, but how is it different than the problems already faced in most of the pro sport leagues. Without controls you have “haves” and “have nots”. Not sure we’ll be in a better competitive position in a world where money is allowed to flow to players than we are today where it is in theory not allowed.

I think the real answer is return college athletics to an amateur pursuit where the sports are played by college students, rather than athletes forced to divert through college on a path to a pro career.

If the NCAA looks the other way(and they will), teams will still cheat. This is far better. Selective enforcement made the playing field more unfair than this will.

I might be in the minority with this opinion, but wouldn't you think un-capped salaries would benefit large state schools with alumni bases bigger than Syracuse? I'd think very wealthy private schools (I'm talking Duke, Notre Dame & Stanford) and land grant state schools might have an advantage in terms what boosters could provide. That's no knock on Cuse...it's a great school and has made many people very wealthy, but with a proposal like this, it's a numbers game and bigger is definitely going to be better.

The same reason actual pro organizations have one.

I might be in the minority with this opinion, but wouldn't you think un-capped salaries would benefit large state schools with alumni bases bigger than Syracuse? I'd think very wealthy private schools (I'm talking Duke, Notre Dame & Stanford) and land grant state schools might have an advantage in terms what boosters could provide. That's no knock on Cuse...it's a great school and has made many people very wealthy, but with a proposal like this, it's a numbers game and bigger is definitely going to be better.
Yes. The large gap between the haves and have nots would become enourmous. Boosters would have no need to hide their monetary support through donations that provide sleep rooms and putting greens (football board reference). They'll openly buy the top players. Major college sports will get less and less interesting for fans of all but a few schools.

This will change everything. For better or worse? That remains to be seen. Whether this can compete with the G League is also a question mark.

Can teams retain locker room synergy and can athletes manage the commitment of school work, sponsorship deals/responsibilities and commitment to their teammates and program?

The kids deserve this but once you walk through that door it's a whole different animal. How much does winning and program success suffer once this is widespread? On the flip side does this have a net positive effect and actually improve synergy and commitment by way of reducing the urgency of athletes looking to go pro because of financial reasons?

so what this means is the NCAA 21 is back on the table for the new PS5 and xbox? Every player gets his cut 125 players on 125 teams 5 million sold at $75 so $375 million . 4/8 to EA, 3/8 to stores, 1/8 to the players?

125 million cut 10000 ways.. $3000 a pop. wait thats crazy talk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom