NCAA athlete's profit | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA athlete's profit

Why should there be a cap? Just saw an article that a company did a research study on the worth of a 3,4 and 5 star athlete. 5 star athlete is worth $600k per year to the school... pretty wild to think about that so they should be making as much as possible. How’s this for a stat- Texas A&M sold 76 million worth of Johnny Manziel apparel and jerseys his last year there. Because he’s an idiot and his NFL career flopped, he’s borderline Broke. I’m sorry but if I account for 76m of my name, I deserve Damn near close to that amount of my OWN JERSEY sales... love that ncaa is finally waking up on this
The value is their, but the overhead (all other sports) is the killer

This will change everything. For better or worse? That remains to be seen. Whether this can compete with the G League is also a question mark.

Can teams retain locker room synergy and can athletes manage the commitment of school work, sponsorship deals/responsibilities and commitment to their teammates and program?

The kids deserve this but once you walk through that door it's a whole different animal. How much does winning and program success suffer once this is widespread? On the flip side does this have a net positive effect and actually improve synergy and commitment by way of reducing the urgency of athletes looking to go pro because of financial reasons?

Your second paragraph will become an interesting balance. I'm just happy my job in athletics is not in compliance. Their job just got a lot more interesting. I don't think any schools are against the athletes profiting, but for a select few schools this could get out of hand and schools will struggle to stay on top of it.

My feeling on this is boo hoo for the schools. The model went sideways when the "student" part of their student athlete designation became an obvious scam. It is the school's and the athletic department's job to demonstrate their value - the one's who can't afford it or demonstrate why someone should go there are facing a new world. The train that has been barreling toward them and they have arrogantly ignored, is now coming in to the station.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom