NCAA CHANGES RECRUITING PROCESS | Syracusefan.com

NCAA CHANGES RECRUITING PROCESS

BillSU

All American

NCAA Announces Significant Change To The Recruiting Process​

Story by Andrew McCarty • 1h ago
122 Comments

1671746901390.png

On Thursday afternoon, the football world learned of a significant change to the recruiting rules.

According to a report from ESPN, the NCAA approved a "blanket waiver" in the FBS and FCS football subdivisions to allow for more official visits. Programs will now have 70 visits instead of 56.

"The NCAA has approved a blanket waiver in FBS and FCS football to "increase the institutional limits on official visits by 14 (e.g., 56 to 70) during the period of April 1, 2022 through March 31, 2023," per an NCAA memo obtained by ESPN," ESPN's Pete Thamel said.

Thamel also explained the reasoning behind the change.

The NCAA reasoning is that all the rule changes -- one-time transfer exception, Transfer Portal, blanket waiver of initial counter, etc. -- has necessitated this "one-time, limited relief." NCAA FOC will gather more info to "consider whether to recommend a legislative change."

I’m not sure how the transfer portal has necessitated a “one time, limited relief”

is that going away next year? Are we expecting drastically reduced portaling next year and going forwards? If anything id expect more

Is there a rule that states a player in the portal must be academically eligible, or he has to sit out a year?

Is there a rule that states a player in the portal must be academically eligible, or he has to sit out a year?
If you're not academically eligible, why would the "receiving" school accept you? You can't play until you are eligible regardless of whichever school you're attending.

If you're not academically eligible, why would the "receiving" school accept you? You can't play until you are eligible regardless of whichever school you're attending.
I guess that’s my question. Are they still enforcing it? Or have they given up on academics completely.

I guess that’s my question. Are they still enforcing it? Or have they given up on academics completely.
That's enforced pretty well because people (like the "losing" school) will readily turn you in if that player plays and it involves forfeiting game$. It's also a practical matter. Why would the "receiving" school waste a scholarship on a player who isn't allowed to play? Why would the admissions office accept someone with really bad grades? What would likely happen in a case like this is that the player will go to an open-enrollment JUCO.