NCAA Done With Playing Regional Finals in Domes | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Done With Playing Regional Finals in Domes

They want to get away from playing regional finals in "Football Stadiums" like the Georgia Dome, Lucas Oil Stadium, Reliant Stadium, and Cowboys Stadium where the court is placed at the 50 yard line. Just Final Fours only.

The Carrier Dome doesn't qualify, since it was never considered to host a FF. We should still be OK for regionals.

We're more like a large arena and not a football stadium, since the "behind the curtain" area has to be set aside for overflow media usage during a regional (the existing press areas in the Dome aren't large enough to handle everybody).

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/85451/3-point-shot-uconn-gets-apr-on-track

Does this include the Carrier Dome or no, because it has a more traditional basketball setup instead of the raised court, center-of-the-arena type setup?

Was going to say this should improve SU's chances of hosting regional finals but unless you count the Carrier Dome, there are no large domed stadia in the Northeast US, so I guess it is pretty meaningless.

Glad they did it anyway. Those domes are awful places to watch a game. They did the setup as well as was possible to do in Atlanta, I had a good seat and it was still pretty dismal.

Andy Katz@ESPNAndyKatz 6m
I wouldn't sweat out Carrier Dome. That's completely different. Not a FF site. On-campus arena. If SU bids, I'm sure it will get regional.

Why can't other domes go to the same type setup SU has?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just guessing here, but I'm betting it's the design of the Dome. It seems like most domed football stadiums have seating that ascends at a low angle, while the Dome's seating ascends at a higher angle, meaning there are more seats closer to the court. Of course, as Tomcat said above, the NCAA obviously doesn't care about seats being close to the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many have in the past, but the NFL stadiums are still just too big. The seats are much closer and lower to the field in the Carrier Dome than in any of those NFL domes.

So, other than $$, why is it okay for the FF to be played in a dome, and not a regional final?

why do we want a regional final at the Dome, anyway? That just guarantees the team has to be shipped to a distant region. I'd rather see all Eastern Regional Finals played in NYC, Boston, Philly, DC, etc .

why do we want a regional final at the Dome, anyway? That just guarantees the team has to be shipped to a distant region. I'd rather see all Eastern Regional Finals played in NYC, Boston, Philly, DC, etc .
Good for the city.

The NCAA ought to consider similar actions for the Lacrosse FF. Playing in a mostly empty football stadium is ridiculous. I think they would be better served looking at MLS type stadiums. I think Philly's got one (the future home of Nova's fball program?), there's one outside NYC, and Boston and DC are looking into building ones.

The NCAA ought to consider similar actions for the Lacrosse FF. Playing in a mostly empty football stadium is ridiculous. I think they would be better served looking at MLS type stadiums. I think Philly's got one (the future home of Nova's fball program?), there's one outside NYC, and Boston and DC are looking into building ones.
I'm pretty sure I read that they are looking into that.

They went to a premium price ticket and a huge stadium. If you want to maintain the premium ticket price then you need to reduce the available seating because the premium ticket price reduces the number of people that are going to come to game...eliminates/reduces the casual fan's interest. Maybe if they sold premium tickets for the premium seats and budget tickets for the 70% of the stadium they would fill more seats.

I am only a casual lacrosse fan, but am always interested when Syracuse plays. I gave consideration to taking the kids to the championship, then looked at the cost of the tickets and decided to watch it on TV instead. It's not that I can't afford it, but cost was one more thing that went into a no go decision.

So, other than $$, why is it okay for the FF to be played in a dome, and not a regional final?

because 70,000+ go to the final 4.

Just guessing here, but I'm betting it's the design of the Dome. It seems like most domed football stadiums have seating that ascends at a low angle, while the Dome's seating ascends at a higher angle, meaning there are more seats closer to the court. Of course, as Tomcat said above, the NCAA obviously doesn't care about seats being close to the court.
The NCAA only cares about $$$$. Of course when they have no employees left or universities to be a part of, maybe it will change. ;)

Too small. PPL Park in Chester, PA only holds 18,500.

Too small. PPL Park in Chester, PA only holds 18,500.

It is on the small side, but they only drew 28k to Lincoln Financial Field. Which result is better; a really tough ticket in an intimate environ or an easy expensive ticket in a huge empty stadium?

ppl_1.jpg

1832_l.jpg

It is on the small side, but they only drew 28k to Lincoln Financial Field. Which result is better; a really tough ticket in an intimate environ or an easy expensive ticket in a huge empty stadium?

The last time the FF was in Baltimore, they drew 45k for the semis.

I can see moving back to college stadiums (like Byrd), but limiting ticket sales to under 20k would be a bad idea.

so, it's about money.

or awkward 2/3 empty domes.

im answering your question why regional finals shouldn't be played in domes, not final 4's.

but to answer your question when it comes to final 4's... more so than the money - i think its the accessibility. Tickets for the final 4 are about as cheap as they come for a major event (face). But this gives regular joe shmoe fans the oppotunity to go. Not sure why anyone would disagree with them when they are easily selling out at a very reasonable price point.

ppl_1.jpg

1832_l.jpg
Site of the ACC lax championships for the next two seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom